Ideas for gear storage?

owltx

Cathlete
The thread about workout space got me to thinking . . . do any of you have any good ideas for storing your workout gear in a relatively small space? I am thinking of something specifically for dumbbells and weights? I am getting tired of pulling out all my dumbbells from the closet and then stacking them all back up after the workout. They only "storage" spots I have would be our hall closet or under our bed. I was thinking of something with wheels that I could just roll them out from under our bed . . . or, maybe a "decorative" end table in the living room w/a secret door that I could stash them in.

What do you guys with space constraints do with your weights?

I hear you!

Before I moved into our current place, I had to use the living room. I would push my step beneath our "entertainment center" (which really was an old buffet) and stack the risers next to it. Not beautiful, but it was neat to have the step "staring at me" when I was loafing around on the couch. It really put exercising front and center.

I'm now experimenting with different ways to conceal my gear. My dial-a-weights just sit out in the corner. I have these sturdy wicker baskets that are short but wide. I shove all my junk into two of them. I have my stability ball tossed on top. Not perfect. Getting there.

My mom use to live in a small apartment (1 bedroom loft) a few years ago and would store her stability ball in her shower stall! Because she had a dark shower curtain, she could "hide" the ball and take it out only when she needed to shower.

Great question! I can't wait to read all the answers!!!

not sure i am much help. But i live in a small two bedroom apt and use my sons room to workout. I bought a trunk that can be used as a place to sit on and store things. IT has all my weights and barbell and step is in a closet. gl

I completely understand. That's my challenge too :(
I bought a big rubber container for very cheap (but pretty decent looking), inside I store my bands, gloves, tubing, kettle bells, medicine ball & discs. I have a pilates ring (which I never use) and stack my stability ball on top of that and it sits on my rubber container. You can also get containers with wheels, even smaller one's that stack on top of each other and have wheels so you can quickly store them/move them. As for my dumbbells, they just sit beside the storage container along with my step (if you have a step, they can cleverly hide small fitness equipment. Inside the risers, I put my dixie cups and small barbell weight plates, then put my topper on the risers and you've concealed more items. Ottomans are wonderful pieces of furniture designed to store items inside as well. I have one with all my daughters toys and it looks great in my living room. I am sure you can use it for fitness equipment as they are very durable & sturdy.

Hope this helps!

Natasha

Thanks for the ideas, guys! Natashe & Erin, I am liking the idea of an ottoman or trunk - I never really thought of something like that, and that could be something that a) I could get sturdy enough so my two year old doesn't decide to get into it and b) will still look decent in the living room. I could just take the top off, leave the dumbbells inside and pull out whatever I need as I go through the workout. Natasha, does your little one "explore" in your container or ottoman, or is it out of her reach? (my toddler is pretty strong and loves to play with Mommy's weights; he can actually lift the five pounders and I would be worried he would try to lift something heavier and hurt himself). Stephanie, I love the story of the stability ball in the shower; what a hoot!

BTW, Stephanie, how do you like the dial-a-weights? I was thinking that those would be a great space saver, but might be a bit time consuming when switching around weights during a workout.

Thanks again, you guys have given me some good ideas to think about!
-Stephanie

Hooks to hang bands, jump ropes. I bought this dumbbell rack (under $100):

http://www.amazon.com/Apex-Deluxe-3...G0VU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328028944&sr=8-1

Maybe set up the rack and use something to cover it up, blanket??

My risers hold my stability ball, and I use a container to hold all odds/ends (gloves, ankle weights, etc).

You might be able to find something used on line. Gyms that are going out of business sometimes sell dumbbell racks with wheels too.

Can't really think of any other options....but if I do I will post. Good luck!

Thanks for the ideas, guys! Natashe & Erin, I am liking the idea of an ottoman or trunk - I never really thought of something like that, and that could be something that a) I could get sturdy enough so my two year old doesn't decide to get into it and b) will still look decent in the living room. I could just take the top off, leave the dumbbells inside and pull out whatever I need as I go through the workout. Natasha, does your little one "explore" in your container or ottoman, or is it out of her reach? (my toddler is pretty strong and loves to play with Mommy's weights; he can actually lift the five pounders and I would be worried he would try to lift something heavier and hurt himself). Stephanie, I love the story of the stability ball in the shower; what a hoot!

BTW, Stephanie, how do you like the dial-a-weights? I was thinking that those would be a great space saver, but might be a bit time consuming when switching around weights during a workout.

Thanks again, you guys have given me some good ideas to think about!

-Stephanie

Yes Stephanie, my little one LOVES to play with my fitness equipment and has lifted the 5 lbs!! I was freaking out! Strong little buggers :) She is obsessed with my stability ball and Cathe discs and firewalkers. She also loves to dance on my step. It's hilarious!

My rubber storage container, yes she can open it, but the ottoman, no way!! It's too heavy for her to lift up.

Good luck!

Natasha

Hooks to hang bands, jump ropes.

I use a coat hanger that I put on the door of my work out room (though you can easily hang it on the wall) for my bands and jumps rope. Mine looks similar to the bottom one in this picture. It works perfectly!

coat-rack-01b.jpg

Last edited:
Let me see... I have my mat in the entryway closet, a rug on the living room floor with my barbell, 52# select tech weights and pull up bar, the step, bench, risers, vest, turbo tower, ball and med ball are in the garage. Anle and wrist weights, bands and gloves are in the couch drawer. I have to drag out all the equipment I need for the day and haul it all back to its resting place. Totally worths the trouble. Luv my Cathe workouts, no one else compares by far.

My husband bought the dial-a-weights for himself, but I've put on 99% of the mileage! He works out vigorously his unit at work, so this "must have" purchase for him in 2005 has become my essential gear! haha! My win!

I love them. They're space-efficient and less costly (look for a good sale) than a whole weight set. I also a pair of 5lbs and 8 lbs weights that are handy, too. Some tricep exercises (one arm overhead extensions come to mind) are tricky given the bulk, but other than that, no complaints. For STS, I get quite a workout just resetting my weights.

I store my slide discs, kettle bells, tubing, bands inside my small step with the risers. I have my dumbells in a verticle tower behind the front door. In a small basket under the end table I have my lifting gloves and wrist/ankle weights. I store my long step top behind the TV. Tower rack is in plain sight...it blends in??? I work out in my living room, it all works out...

I exercise in our family room. Like the rest of you, there is issues with where to store my gear. While I haven't found the so-called perfect solution, this is what I have done:

- I house all my dumbbells, bands, sliding disks, lifting gloves, etc in a trunk. The trunk doesn't move, so even though it's weighted down by all my "stuff" it doesn't matter. It stays where it is. This is what I use: Rhino Trunk & Case | Manufacturer of quality storage trunks & cases I have that exact trunk, although mine is a little more beat up and worn. It does the job though. I like it because all those dumbbells get dirty and seems like they leave marks. So with this trunk I don't have to worry about trying to be gentle when I put my stuff back. I would much, much, much prefer putting my gear in a prettier trunk (like a faux suede one, kind of like the ones Target sells), but I know that would last about 2 days before it drove me nuts, not to mention my stuff would eventually ruin the nice trunk. So this works for now.

- As for my regular step and high step ... oh, those are just shoved up against the wall and the entertainment center. Truth be told, my regular step becomes a blockade so my 19-month old can't get into the bluray player. :p Multi-purpose step!

I just keep waiting for the day when my kiddos are out of the house. Then I will have two things: A. a dedicated workout room (even if it's just one of the empty bedrooms) and B. a scrapbook room/office space.

Patience. Patience. Patience. Ha!

These are all such great idea - you guys are so creative. I am going to try a trunk or ottoman for storage, and then maybe something smaller on wheels I can roll out from under the bed. I also really like the hooks on the "coat rack" for hanging bands, vest, etc. I never would have thought of that! Thanks everyone!

-Stephanie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.