I thought I'd share a pic of my new *ride*.

Jess_jugs

Cathlete
I've been looking at road bikes and my wonderful dh surprised me w/ one for our 12th anniversary! I can't believe the difference going from a hybrid to the road bike! I feel like I'm flying! And my 5yo is now training wheel-free so we've been going on family bike rides in the evening. It is AWESOME!

I've also been listening to Coach Sean (Cardiocoach) while riding, and LOVE it! Thanks to all of you enablers!

Here I am after a 16 mile ride tonight. (it's a Giant OCR-2 road bike)

And then one of the girls (9, 7, & 5) & I after we did a 3 mile *family* bike ride. (my dh has now inherited my Hybrid! LOL)

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• Jess- bike.jpg
    Jess- bike.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 108
  • Jessngirls- bikes.jpg
    Jessngirls- bikes.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 71
Jess,
Nice ride!!! I completely understand the feeling of "flying" on a road bike after riding my mtn. bike on the road. I love Cardio Coach on my bike. I ride on a pretty quiet road, with a nice shoulder and ride with a mirror attached to my sunglasses. Works for me and love the motivation that Sean gives. Congrats!!!

Jess,
Nice ride!!! I completely understand the feeling of "flying" on a road bike after riding my mtn. bike on the road. I love Cardio Coach on my bike. I ride on a pretty quiet road, with a nice shoulder and ride with a mirror attached to my sunglasses. Works for me and love the motivation that Sean gives. Congrats!!!

Thanks, Netta! I figured that someone here would understand! After getting used to my Hybrid after a mountain bike, I can't believe the difference going to a road bike. I'm looking forward to the triathlons next year!!

Jess,
Wait till you get this great tailwind and you're sailing along at about 30 mph on the flat and you can hear your wheels turning. It's awesome I tell you! Of course you will have plenty of rides where you have a headwind and you're reduced to your smallest chainring just to get to 10 mph. Hey, it's all good! Just remember, "the wind is your friend". Do you have any organized rides on tap yet? Won't be long and you'll be doing your first century ride. I did a triathlon a few years ago, kind of. I didn't complete the swim, but SMOKED IT on the bike part. Run was just a survival thing, had not even run once that year. A friend talked me into doing it like 3 days before the triathlon. Silly me, I had to borrow a swimsuit, that's how good a swimmer I am. Needless to say, I was ill prepared, but had a good time anyway. I have done 2 triathlon relays ( did the bike part) and had a blast! Enjoy your new ride! Riding in a group is a lot of fun. We just did a 56 miler yesterday around a local lake. Lots of fun!

Very nice!! I just got back from vacation where I rode 85 miles (over 5 days). My bike is a hybrid but I did go to smaller tires than came on it, with a smooth middle for my trainer. I had a nasty crash 15 years ago and those skinny little tires still scare me a bit! My ex rides a lot, and has gone to the tiniest of tires, the lightest of bikes, the aero bars, clip ons, special gears, etc... and keeps trying to talk me into going that way so I can increase my speeds as mentioned by Netta - flying down the road - but I'm a big ol' chicken! I did get to 25 mph last week though and that was F-U-N :eek:

Hi Jess! Congrats and what a great gift from your DH. It is a huge difference isn't it? It looks like a really nice bike. I see a lot of Giants out there. You'll really be kicking butt in the tris now. That's really cool that you all are going on family rides too. Enjoy!
Kara

Pretty bike!
And such nice color coordination.
Though with a bike that color, you HAVE to go fast.

Oooo, it's pretty, Jess!!! Where did you end up getting it, if you don't mind me asking? :)

Thanks, Emily! I ended up going to a totally different place than I asked you about... it was $250 cheaper! I will PM you the details!

Jess

Last edited:
Pretty bike!
And such nice color coordination.
Though with a bike that color, you HAVE to go fast.

Oh yeah, the color combo is important! Now I need to get a matching helmet. My dh will get my old one again...

It does just make you feel faster when you hop on and clip in! LOL

Hi Jess! Congrats and what a great gift from your DH. It is a huge difference isn't it? It looks like a really nice bike. I see a lot of Giants out there. You'll really be kicking butt in the tris now. That's really cool that you all are going on family rides too. Enjoy!
Kara

My dh knew how much I wanted one and he knows I really only want fitness-related things for my bday, anniversary, Christmas. LOL My training buddies both have Giants and have been really happy with them. They're afraid of riding with me now though, I could keep up w/ their road bikes on my hybrid. LOL

Family rides are awesome, not real fitness rides for me but it's just fun to be out riding! My 5yo totally amazed us just learning how to ride and she's already ridden 3 miles twice now! Plus up & down our street a hundred times! LOL

Awesome bike!!! I remember the first time I rode my road bike after my fat tire - WOW! I felt like I was going 100mph, what a rush!!! You have many years of fun ahead of you :D:D:D

Missy

Very nice!! I just got back from vacation where I rode 85 miles (over 5 days). My bike is a hybrid but I did go to smaller tires than came on it, with a smooth middle for my trainer. I had a nasty crash 15 years ago and those skinny little tires still scare me a bit! My ex rides a lot, and has gone to the tiniest of tires, the lightest of bikes, the aero bars, clip ons, special gears, etc... and keeps trying to talk me into going that way so I can increase my speeds as mentioned by Netta - flying down the road - but I'm a big ol' chicken! I did get to 25 mph last week though and that was F-U-N :eek:

Thanks! Wow, that sounds like a fun vacation! I didn't go for the aero bars yet... maybe next year! I wanted to get used to clipping in & out of the bike first. So far no crashes...

Just make sure you wear a helmet and you're good to go! It is fun to go fast! I was afraid of bikes for a while, I knocked my front tooth out flying off a bike when I was 10 so it took me a while to get over that. Yikes!

Awesome bike!!! I remember the first time I rode my road bike after my fat tire - WOW! I felt like I was going 100mph, what a rush!!! You have many years of fun ahead of you :D:D:D

Missy

Thanks, Missy! It does make a huge difference in the tires. And I can't believe how light it is! My dh said he wasn't worried about spending money on a good one, he knew I'll get my money's worth!

oooh cool gift! :) happy anniversary too! We do family bike riding some evenings but since they got electric scooters for their bday gifts from grandma/grandpa they like to go out on those. ugh! ;) We'll usually they are out doing that when I'm doing Cathe or something anyway. My bike is nothing special but it works.

Thanks! Wow, that sounds like a fun vacation! I didn't go for the aero bars yet... maybe next year! I wanted to get used to clipping in & out of the bike first. So far no crashes...

Just make sure you wear a helmet and you're good to go! It is fun to go fast! I was afraid of bikes for a while, I knocked my front tooth out flying off a bike when I was 10 so it took me a while to get over that. Yikes!

Oh yes, always the helmet when I'm on the road. I'm just scared of the clip in pedals. I used to race motorcycles so you would think I would get over the fear of skinny tires and clipping in :D. I would definitey go the aero bar way for maximum wind deflection, and for a little rest on long rides. I bet you won't wait a year for those...speed is too much fun ;)

Congrats, Jess!!! Your new bike is so cool-looking, and the photo of you and the girls is adorable!! Happy anniversary! :)

I can't believe the difference going from a hybrid to the road bike! I feel like I'm flying! Thanks for looking!

NO NO NO!! I'm not looking:confused: J/K

Awesome bike Jess! I currently have a Trek hybrid and I see people flying by me on their road bikes and I just wanna have one! I went out riding on Fri & Sat...it was so beautiful here in MN and we have endless miles of state trails.

Enjoy your new bike;)

JJ

oooh cool gift! :) happy anniversary too! We do family bike riding some evenings but since they got electric scooters for their bday gifts from grandma/grandpa they like to go out on those. ugh! ;) We'll usually they are out doing that when I'm doing Cathe or something anyway. My bike is nothing special but it works.

I know, my dh's co-workers give him grief for the *fitness* gifts he buys me, but I always tell him EXACTLY what I want or else I'll end up w/ something I'll never use. LOL

My girls want those electric scooters too, they look cool! My old bike was functional, but not built for speed. LOL

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.