I think I pulled my groin muscle

JUJYGRL

Cathlete
I'm hoping someone know what this is and how long before it goes away. Yesterday I did Cathe's S&H Chest,Back then I did a bunch of laps in my pool. This morning I woke up to a muscle twinge in my groin area. The weird thing is, I'm just sitting inactive and it starts up. I was still able to do my bike ride this morning and S&H tri's but I am a little worried. Was it maybe the deadlifts or overhead pulls? I'm not sure.

Has anyone had this happen and how long does it last. Do I need to stop all excercising for a few days?

~Chrissy~

Chrissy, it doesn't sound like a deadlift induced injury, inner thigh adductor or groin muscles bring the thigh across the midline like a soccer kick. If it was part of exercising yesterday it would more likely have happened in the pool. All too often we can't pin point the exact mechanism of an injury. If the muscles are spasming at rest I would suggest applying ice to the area. Avoid heat for the first few days as you will just congest the area. Compression also helps with a spasming muscle. If it's not too painful just push into it with your fist until it subsides.

Groin injuries can be pretty slow to heal so be very careful and listen to your body. If you go past the point of pain and are jamming up in your breath or tightening up your face back off, your body is telling you to be careful. How long it lasts has too many variables to be answered with any certainty here. Proceed with caution and never underestimate the value of ice therapy on an acute soft tissue injury just be sure to put a cloth between your skin and the cold pack and don't leave it on for more than 20 minutes. If it starts feeling numb or blanches remove it immediately.

Take Care
Laurie:)

Laurie,

Thanks, it is still here this morning so I will try the ice when I get home from work today. I will be extra careful. Thanks for your advice and concern.

~Chrissy~

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.