I need some dating advice.

Dave! I was hoping you'd chime in! So glad you did, you've actually given me an idea.........there's a diner near my gym that was recently featured on that diner show on the food network. I LOVE diners & I've been looking for a reason to go. Maybe I can mention it & see if we might have a nice casual post-workout Sunday lunch there. Hmmmmm...........

Brilliant! Excellent plan. I like the prebuying gift certificate idea too. That way you could say up front, hey I have a GC to this place - want to check it out with me???

Laura,
Why not just ask him if he's seeing anyone as part of your conversation?

To me, that's an indirect way to find out if he's interested based on his response, and let's him know that you're thinking about that. It's non committal, so if he says yes, you can casually move the conversation along. And if he says no, try the coffee route. Or say something like "me neither" and see where the conversation goes...

I love Dave's idea!! And you have the male perspective to boot!
Just from being with my DH--never hint-men just don't get it!!

Great idea Dave:)

Good Luck and keep us posted!
Deanie

I'm in agreement with just biting the bullet and asking him out. GOOD LUCK, and be sure to keep us posted!

Gayle

Since you've already received good advice from many others here is my advice...

I would rather fail by trying than to fail from fear...

Maybe he is one of those guys that'll only ask once... he did, you shot him down, so now it's your turn! You'll never know if you don't at least try. Good luck!

Glad to see ya back!! Did you ask him yet? We're all dying to know!!

Nan

I asked my hubby out on the 1st date. Married 9 yrs now. You can do it!!!

OK - another with no new advice, just agree with the others.

But am also dying to know how it goes - and the weekend is here, what a great time !

< < crossing fingers for a big fat YES > > > }(

Go ahead and ask him if you're convinced he's for you. But, here's the thing: Have you ever read that book HE'S JUST NOT INTO YOU? The author was on Oprah one day and he said something I've found very helpful. He said "If a man is into you he won't hesitate to ask you out. If he doesn't ask and you have to ask him, believe me, you don't want him. He's a weenie." And I think you might want to trust your first instinct; that a grown man shouldn't need a go-between to do his bidding for him. It makes me think of that governor who came out of the closet. When his wife was on Oprah (Oprah, again...) she told about how they met and he had a friend ask her if she'd liked him and, if so, would she go out with him. A grown man? Even Oprah said "You didn't think that was a little... fourth grade?" Don't want to burst your bubble but I suspect you had the right idea about him the first time. The guy who wrote that book said he's irritated by women who waste valuable time waiting on a guy who just isn't into them ENOUGH. Everybody deserves better. I concur.

Everyone is right. Go for it!!!! I disagree with the principle of, "He's just not that into you." Just like another poster, if I hadn't asked my husband out, we would never have dated. He confided that he had a huge crush on me but never thought that I would go out with him, even though I dropped a million hints. That didn't get through his big thick skull. He thought that I fancied other guys that we worked with. In the end, we all went out as a group at a club, and I told him with the aid of Johnny Walker. The rest is history! Just because he didn't do it, doesn't make him a weenie. We all have our insecurities. But take the chance, cause that's what makes life most interesting. Good luck this weekend!!!!

Rita

Hello Laura.
Glad you're back, girlfriend.
Hope that this dating advice works for you.
And, you and this great guy can get to know each other better.

Keep us posted on what happens.

I glad you are back! Good luck with whatever you do with his guy!
Ellen
PS I'm really traditional and would not ask him out! Wait him out!

Laura,
It's so great to "see" you here!! :D :D :D

Okay, here's my two cents worth: Can you find out for sure that he's not seeing anyone? Two years is a long time, don't forget. I agree with you about asking guys out. I used to try to make myself do it, but I just couldn't. I have no idea how guys subject themselves to that. And if he's not seeing someone, don't forget he's been rejected by you before, and that he's very shy. So, in this case, there is no harm in asking. If he's seeing someone else, it's not a rejection of you. And if he's too shy, then asking him should do the trick. ;)

MOST Importantly Laura!

Did you order STS yet! :7 Sorry, couldn't resist! Nice to "see" you Laura!!! Good Luck!

http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid8692709

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie") http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/aktion/action-smiley-066.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance, I Hope You DANCE!

RE: MOST Importantly Laura!

Ask him and then come back and tell us all what he said :)

If it makes you feel any better, I had to call my dh and ask him out. He was way too shy to ask me....If I never would have made that phone call, who knows where I would be right now. So....go for it!!

Sara

I'm another if I didn't ask my husband out we might never be! It was hard and scarey and all that, but you just have to do it and get it over with!

And then let us know what happened :p

Mary

Life is short - just ask him out and enjoy getting to know him. Don't go into it with high expectations -- just have fun!! :)

I like the idea of "Hey, let's check out the diner next door. It's been getting good reviews."

And let's face it, you rejected him once. He's going to be double-gun shy about ever asking you out again. Men don't pick up on hints very well. Take the bull by the horns and go for it.

You may even mention the fact that two years ago, you were in a bad place and dating was the last thing on your mind.... and fortunately, you're over that.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.