I love football....but it does take a toll!

netsnotes16

Cathlete
"The average football fan who watches two or three games a week may gain ten to twelve pounds during the season. Both at tailgating parties and in front, a great deal of of eating and drinking of unhealthy foods is carried out. "

"Such popular football foods as bratwurst and other sausages, chili, and hot wings are labeled as dangerous by medical profession. One bratwurst has 290 calories, and 230 of these calories are from fat. Eat on a bun, 500 calories are consumed by someone doing nothing more than sitting in front of the television. Those who typically eat six brats during two or three consective games are taing in 2,970 calories, although the average adult needs 2,000 calories per day."

"Furthermore, excession consumption can cause peopel to fall asleep and miss the game they want to see. This is partculary true drinking beer. One 12 oz. beer has 162 calories, so the average six pack contains 972 empty calories. Added to that are six brats adn a 16 oz. bag of snack chips for a total intake of 6,342 calories with no activity and almot no calories used during one football game. "

"Football and American Identity" by Gerhard Falk, p. 141

Oh, you meant food....

I was thinking you were talking about the toll on my nerves!!! As a lifelong Steeler fan, my nerves have been taking a beating this season with the way they are playing!

My DH works almost every Sunday, so I'm fortunately not watching the game eating snacks and drinking beer--it's not much fun by myself. Before I was married I went to a lot of football watching parties and I have to agree it was far too easy to eat junk.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.