I just had a complete meltdown! Help!!

wendybdh

Cathlete
Tonight I made my 5yo daughter dinner (mac n cheese) and she just threw a tantrum because she wanted the xtreme mac n cheese instead. Anyway, after arguing with her for about an hour I completely blew up. I started screaming at the top of my lungs and finally I threw the container of mac n cheese against the wall as hard as I could. I don't know what came over me. I know when I get my period I get really irritable, etc. but it's no excuse. I scared myself. I have never exploded like that EVER! I hate that I acted that way in front of my daughter and I feel like the worst mom ever. I am so upset right now.

To top it off a client of my husbands (and a patient of mine) was at the door and I'm sure he heard it.

You did it once and you won't repeat it. That was the last time ever, so don't dwell on it. I don't think there is anyone on this planet that hasn't had a melt down in some way. When my son was 4, he kept throwing items out of the shopping cart at the grocery store. This had never happened before and he wouldn't stop. It was nearly as if he was another child for that shopping trip! I kept my cool and told him I was removing his choice of snack and placed it on the nearest shelf, he picked up a 3 liter bottle of 7-up and dropped it squarely on my big toe (I was wearing sandals). I lost that toe nail too. Well, I blew up right there, mostly because it hurt so bad! Picked him up out of the cart and marched him to the car and drove home and gave him the "just wait until your father comes home" line. You will be fine. Forgive yourself this once, okay?

Wendy,

Been there, done that...but with oatmeal. :eek: I'll save my storIES for another time since it is all about you tonight.

You are HUMAN. It happens. Sometimes we snap. Forgive yourself and know you are not alone. Talk with your daughter when you are calm and tell her how you feel. Maybe you could ask her to think about how she would feel if she made dinner for you and you threw a fit because you wanted something else. See what she says.

I am sorry that you are having a bad night. Just know that it happens to all of us. I hope things are better tomorrow.

Been there, done that, but with spaghetti! I once threw my husband's dinner at the wall and a jar of pickles on another occasion, but the spaghetti incident was caused by a picky eater when doing my PhD studies and so short on sleep I couldn't spend any more time trying to get this child to eat so I dumped her dinner on her head.

It sure broke the anxious moment because everyone around me started laughing and the child peeked out between strands to wonder what was going on.

There is nothing wrong with you at all as far as I can see. You are entitled to lose it occasionally. We all need to let off steam and those around us who drive us crazy need to know that there are limits to how far they can push us with their refusals to eat the dinner placed in front of them and just deal with it!!!!!!!!!

Clare

Been there done that. no kids but other situation. more than once. You are human and forgive yourself. myself, I was dealing with external stress and the incident was the feather on the camel's back.
you are a great mom and cut yourself some slack.

Hey, you did ok. You didn't throw the child at the wall! My grandmother used to break plates!

Next time, remind your daughter that you aren't a short order cook and that until she can afford one, your table is the only deal in town.;)

Yes I traumatized my son and myself many years ago when he was 4 years old. We both ended up asleep next to each other. Now we laugh about that event. I think it happens to just about every parent at some time. Once when my 2 boys were complaining about who got the bigger stack of pancakes I picked up the plates and threw everything in the garbage. They don't even remember that! It happens. Talk to your daughter when you feel more relaxed.

I think just about every mother has had a meltdown like that. I know I did, and well, my kids have managed to grow up just fine.

It happens cause even mothers are human.

Good suggestion!

Hey, you did ok. You didn't throw the child at the wall! My grandmother used to break plates!

Next time, remind your daughter that you aren't a short order cook and that until she can afford one, your table is the only deal in town.;)
Excellent response - very much to the point and similar to what I was going to suggest.

Yep, been there too! No macaroni on the walls but my voice sure could be heard! (probably the next state over!) My kids grew up normal and have never ever mentioned any of my blow ups so you'll be just fine...sometimes, I think they need lil' reminders to know we've been hurt too. I bet she eats the regular ole Mac'n'cheese next time you offer it! :D

Been there. Done that too. I love my son to pieces but he really really REALLY tries my last nerve at times and most are incapable of staying calm cool and collected 100% of the time. I feel awful the minute after I "lose it". Afterwards I usually start to cry, give my son a hug and a kiss, apologize, explain to him why I got so upset and we move on with our day as if nothing happened. He is always more then happy to forgive me and tells me "It's okay mommy. Don't cry."...which makes me cry even harder. :)

Thank you all so much. I was really upset about what I had done but it's nice to know I'm not alone when it comes to having a mommy tantrum. Now my problem is that my DD wants to tell EVERYONE about it :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.