I just don't get it...hoping some of you have insight

achapman

I am in my 25th week of my second pregnancy. I worked out with Cathe and the Firm up until about 6 weeks and then was just too sick and tired to do anything. Did not start again until 20 weeks.

I have tracked my caloric intake religiously since prior to my pregnancy and target my basic metabolic caloric intake daily(which was tested and accurate prior to pregnancy)- some days over that number some days under -

Up through week 20 I gained a total of 5 pounds. (I started out about 20 pounds over what I like to weigh).

In the last 3 weeks I have gained 6.5 pounds!!

What I do not understand is that if I total the number of calories since the beginning of my pregnancy - without accounting for the extra 300 per day starting in the second trimester - I should be 12 pounds less.

I am FAR from starving myself - and I know that I am having a baby and a certain amount of weight gain is crucial - but I just don't understand this sudden gain (and I have been checked out for pre-eclampsia - thats not it)

Any insight would be SO appreciated...

thanks so much

All weight gain is not fat. Lots of pregnancy weight is hormone-related bloat. Don't focus so much on your weight! Just eat healthy and do what you can in the way of exercise. After the baby is born you will settle into your "real" weight gain and can deal with it from there.

RE: I just don't get it...hoping some of you have insig...

Although everyone is different, it's my understanding that a jump in weight is very common around week 20. I didn't gain anything the first 18 weeks thanks to horrible morning sickness but then from week 18 to week 22, I gained 7 lbs, despite the fact that I was doing some working out again. My eyes nearly popped out of my head but the nurse said a spurt around that time is normal. Since then I've been doing about a pound a week, I'm up to 20 lbs at 34 weeks. Take care.

Kathy
due 1/22/04

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.