I got in trouble at the doctor's office!

leighanntx1

Cathlete
Yep, I have gained too much. 20 pounds in 24 weeks. I have not been eating meat or veggies (just don't like them) and have been too tired to exercise so I guess it is no wonder.

I do not feel heavy and do not look it at all either. I have no clue where the pounds are. I started under 120 so was told in the beginning that I could stand to gain more than normal but I guess not this much :)

So, no more spaghettios for lunch or rice and pasta for dinner, more fruits and veggies and at least one 20 minute walk per day. Dang all those people who said pregnancy is the time to just eat whatever you want (not you guys, other people)!

That's a bummer. I know we can't sit around eating potato chips and hershey bars all day, but it seems like a pregnant lady should be able to have rice and pasta with impunity. But sometimes, in my very NON-professional opinion, I think our bodies just put on the weight it wants to put on, with no regard to how we feel about it or even our habits. I've heard (again, NOT scientifically gathered data!) that people put it on in spurts. So maybe you just had a big spurt and will level off for a while.

That said, did they say what WOULD have been a normal amount of weight to have put on by this point? Shouldn't we expect to put on about a pound a week at this point (you and I are only about 3 weeks apart)? At that rate, you should only gain about 36 pounds by the time you deliver, well within normal, right? So it seems like you are right on track. I just get so confused about what is supposed to happen and when.

Don't feel bad. I worked out five days a week with about the same intensity as I did before I got pregnant and still gained over 45 pounds. This was my pregnancy where I gained the least weight and ate the healthiest because I didn't feel sick at the thought of spinach.

I think that Monica is right on when she said that everyone's body is different and puts on weight while pregnant at different rates, and some people just will gain more. There may times when the thought of eating broccoli will make you gag and the only thing that you can hold is butter on toast. I have been through this three times and each time it was different even though I am the same person. Just listen to your body, it is usually right about what you need!:)

Missy

Aw, Leighann, would it make you feel better to know that you weigh less than I do and I'm only 21 weeks? I started out a *bit* higher than 120, though. I have lots of friends and co-workers tell me "you don't even look pregnant," but someone I see regularly just said to me "I just learned you're going to have a baby! I was thinking 'Well she's putting on a little weight.'" Ouch! I think it's the loose clothes. Yeah, that's it.

My last Dr's appointment at 19 weeks I'd gained 12 pounds, and she said that 10 is usually what they like to see at that point. I think the extra weight is a pound in each ankle -- my feet look like Minnie Mouse's by 3:00 in this heat!

At that rate, you should only gain about 36 pounds by the time you deliver, well within normal, right? So it seems like you are right on track. ~

I agree that sounds about right/normal! I put on 40lbs last go around, and I am 5'1" - talk about getting on the tad high of gaining, but I lost all of it and then some afterwards! By chance do you have a male OBGYN or a female who has never been pregnant? Sounds like he/she is giving you an extra hard time for no reason. While I agree eating veggies and fruit is good for you and baby as well as a 20 min walk - I would do that cause it's good for you, not cause your getting to big! It's all matter of perspective ;-)

I knew you all would make me feel better.

The doctor said I should only be up around 14 pounds by now. She said at the rate I have gone at the 20 and 24 week appts, I would gain well over 50 pounds by the end. I guess I should have been paying more attention to the scales but I feel great and DH thinks I look fine so screw 'em!

My doctor is female but I am not sure if she has ever had children or not. I like her because she is so no-nonsense but that also means I did not like the way she told me I am gaining too much.

I will just try to do better and see how it goes 4 weeks from now. The walks will be good for me, and the dog and DH so I should be doing that anyway. Now if only it wasn't 100 degrees outside!

Thanks to you all for making me feel better. You all rule.

Hi ladies!

Let me give you the medical perspective… the pattern of weight gain during pregnancy for a woman of normal weight: 3-6 pounds the first trimester (12 weeks) then ~1 #/ week the remaining 28 weeks. If you gain 6 pounds the first trimester and 1 pound per week over 28 weeks, your total gain would be 34 pounds. If your weight gain exceeds these guidelines, your doctor SHOULD assess the situation. Please remember the numbers of women seen that are not eating well (despite what they report) and/or exercising. Also, Leighanntx1’s doctor is probably calculating the total gain according to the rate she has gained at so far. My doctor did the same with me and predicted 50#s with my DS, I gained 47. That being said… if you are eating well and exercising, your body knows what it needs IMHO.

Autumn

~I would rather live my life as if there is a God, and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't, and die to find out there is.~

I am almost 33 weeks and gained 40 so far..I was exercising until about 3 weeks ago..its just too hard now and my pelvic pains are pretty bad..but my diet is healthy and I still gained this much. I have to avoid salt which helps but my body just gained alot no matter what i did...alot of it is fluid cause you can see it...but some people just gain more than others, i'm convinced.

Every pregnancy is so different. I think I"ve gained about 10lbs or so...

**Melanie**
baby to be 11/28/05
Justin born 1/17/04
Jory born 4/9/94

http://lilypie.com/days/051128/2/4/1/-6/.png[/img][/url]

I'm really surprised that the dr. would say something if you're feeling good and everything else is okay (bp, water retention, etc.) I know lots of women who've gained much more than that and their dr. never made them feel bad! As long as you're eating healthy and are trying to stay active how could a few extra pounds be such a big deal? Hang in there and don't let it get you down!! :)

I am probably in the minority here, but I am impressed that your doctor talked to you. Too many docotors ignore too many things. Every clinician has their own style, but one should never make you feel bad. I do think this is something that should ALWAYS be assessed beyone having normal bp, water retention, etc. as it can be a big deal. It may not be a big deal today, but it could be tomorrow. I also know that as a clinician I can educate, educate, educate, but then a client will say "no one ever told me" or "why didn't someone tell me?". So, I tend to address it all. I only wish my health care providers would do the same rather that treating me as I already know. There is always the concern of developing gestational diabetes and other concerns with weight gain that exceeds the recommended range. I recently read something about gaining more than 35 pounds and a risk for ____________. I can't remember the entire article. How helpful is that?

Also, please remember that many clients don't lose the weight and we all know the problems associated with that. At least that is my professional experience.

Autumn, I completely agree with you that clinicians have to address it. I want to be told the best info available, not just what I want to hear. And even if the clinician says it in the most tactful way possible, no one wants to hear that they are gaining too much weight. It's easy to feel defensive. I was just surprised that 20 pounds in 24 weeks was considered too much. My 24 week appointment is coming up and I dread getting on that scale. At 20 weeks I had gained 8-10, and I am hoping it'll be around 13-15 by then, so it's scary to think how easy it would be to creep up just a few beyond that point and enter the possible danger zone.

<And even if the clinician says it in the most tactful way possible, no one wants to hear that they are gaining too much weight. It's easy to feel defensive.>

I agree.

No doctor ever initiated the discussion with me. With DD, I gained 44#s... NOT ONE WORD. With DS, I was complaining and the doctor discussed it with me. When I told him I exercised and ate healthful meals, he had no advice and it was never brought up again. As clinicians we have to discuss delicate topics and sometime the subject matter offends clients, but I HOPE that most of us are trying our best to care for our clients. :) It is so frustrating what is not appropriately addressed by doctors. Of course, I have discussed some very intimate subjects so you can imagine how I have offended some clients.

So many of the pregnant women out there are not like those of us on this board... motivated, knowledgeable about fitness & health, etc. :) Excessive weight gain can be an indicator of poor food choices... JUNK and not enough of the good stuff. That is why it is so important to ask the client. Many women report they eat well and exercise but when you really assess them, you find out they just don't have the information. I think most clinicians are skeptical of what is going on outside the office. My girlfriend swears she eats well... she honestly was shocked when I told her that chips and salsa are not low fat/low calorie. :)

Monica... don't let it get you down. I did the best I could do with my pregnancy weight gain... gained too much... but the weight is lost and we are healthy. A healthy mom and baby is the goal... not what the scale says. :)

Autumn

~I would rather live my life as if there is a God, and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't, and die to find out there is.~

I think I understand what you're saying - I guess most of the pregnant women I know are healthy and active, so I forget that not everyone falls into that category. I totally agree with your points that the dr. SHOULD address things that might be sensitive subjects and that weight can become an issue. My dr. is very laid back and doesn't have too many strong opinions, which is fine with me, but I can see that if I didn't have a good background in health and fitness, I would be totally out to sea with her...

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.