I don't know what's wrong...

lov2bfit

Cathlete
Just a little background... about 3 years ago I lost about 15 lbs and was in the best shape of my life. Since then I have gained about 20 (so disappointed in myself), dieting and exercising on and off. I have decided it is time to take this weight off for good.
For the past 2 weeks I have been eating really healthy, around 1500 calories per day and working out with Cathe almost every day. The first couple days I lost the traditional 3 lbs of water weight, but I got on the scale this morning and I've actually gained half a pound!!

Now, I realize it takes time and I'm probably stressing before there is something to stress about, but for the past year or so every attempt I have made to lose weight has very minimal results. I am eating and working out the same as I did when I lost the original 15 lbs, so I don't understand why it's not working anymore.

Anyone have any ideas of what I may be doing wrong? I have a difficult time staying motivated when I'm not seeing any results. At one point last year I spent 6 weeks eating well and working out 6 days a week and lost a total of about 3 lbs!

Thanks ladies! I know I can always come to you and spill! :)

Katie

Hi Katie,

I don't have any particular words of wisdom for you I just wanted to let you know you aren't alone and to hang in there.

Maybe it's the change of season, I don't know. But I find myself in the same boat with the weight creeping up and the motivation creeping down.

Don't worry too much about a half pound...in either direction...an extra pinch of salt, or a fluctuation in hormones, or (for me) re-starting strength training, can all add some ounces.

Keep up the good work, good luck.

Sorry you are going through this. I know how frustrating it can be. I have a very hard time losing weight lately myself. Seems like it used to be so much easier. I am in my late 30's now though so perhaps my age has something to do with it??

This is why I hate the fact that scales even exist. They can be so deceiving.

A much better guage...how do your clothes fit? Looser, tighter, the same? Now it's only been 2 weeks, so don't freak out yet. That small gain in weight is likely just increased muscle capacity. And keep in mind that that will increase first, before the fat falls off of it. So you're likely to experience puffiness first.

I seldom weigh myself. I don't even own a scale. I can tell immedaitely where I'm seeing weight fluctuations based on my thighs. It's where I gain and lose first. I'm sure you have a similar spot on your body. Use that for your guide and give yourself a little time!

And if all else fails, have you had bloodwork done recently? Especially if it's been a steady gain over time, it may indicate a thyroid issue that you're not aware of. But I would use that as a last resort, if you don't see any success after awhile.

Good luck! And be patient!

Not to be mean but its because you are older than when you lost the weight the first time. Your metabolism has probably decreased since then, its a normal (albeit annoying!) side effect of getting older.

Thanks ladies for all you kind words! I know I just need to give it more time. I am thinking it may be a good idea for me to just get a little less obsessive about it and instead of tracking all my calories and monitoring all the calories I burn during my workouts to fit them all neatly into some kind of formula, I just need to eat what I know is right and get the exercise I know my body needs and hopefully it will all fall into place.

melimcn - It's funny that you should bring that up because I actually went to the Dr yesterday to have all my bloodwork done. I talked to the Dr about it and he said I just need to make sure I'm mixing my workouts up and not doing the same thing over and over again. He told me that my weight is not really very far off from where it's supposed to be so that makes it much more difficult to lose it.

rapid breath - I don't think you're being mean. I understand that my age factors into things. I am 35 now and my metabolism is obviously not what it used to be. :)

Katie

Ellesan....your pics are amazing! Love your hair too! I had a personal question, obviously dont answer if you dont want to...in your after pics, have you had any skin-tightening surgeries, ie. the kind some ppl have after gastric bypass? Your skin tone is so great, was just curious is all! Thanks :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.