I did it!! My first *official* triathlon!

Jess_jugs

Cathlete
I did it!!! I can call myself a triathlete!! I can't really count my last one, since the swim was cancelled. Another rainy day, but thankfully no t-storms!!

500meter swim, 40K (24.8 mile) bike (which was the same distance as the Olympic tri), 5K run (3.1 miles)

I am sure this will be a super long report! First of all, the 30% chance of rain... yes it did rain!!! I was in wave #8 in the swim along w/ a friend of mine. I surprised myself and did a LOT better on the swim than I thought I would!! I really felt calm in the water and just thought of all of the time I've spent swimming laps at the Y pool in the last year. I felt strong in the water and when it was time to turn around at half-way I looked back and realized I was a lot further ahead than a lot of people in my wave!! I felt great and focused on breathing and heading back to shore. Time to get out and I realize it's really pouring rain. YUCK!

My Mom snapped a pic, you can kind of see me between the green jacket & black shirt (and there's my 9yo under the umbrella).
326277185.jpg

I ran up to T1 and got myself ready for biking! Put on my shirt, socks, shoes, etc. Snapped on my helmet and got going! My legs felt really heavy and just felt like I couldn't get going on the bike. I was stuck between 2nd & 3rd gears and just couldn't seem to get my bike to change gears!! I was afraid I was going to lose my chain! :eek: Finally, got it to 3rd gear and tried to make up some lost ground, but I realize it's NOT going to be a good bike. The rain is coming down HARD and the wind is blowing like crazy. It seemed that every turn I thought would make the wind better, but it only felt worse. It was a mental game, just get through the bike. Counting down the miles, and I was so happy to hit the half-way turn around! I saw my buddies on the way back, so it was nice to see a familiar face. I was trying to stay hydrated and had a gel to keep me going. By the time I hit mile 20 I was able to really pick up the pace and was happy to be back for T2!! Racked the bike, grabbed some more water, and headed out. Now I could really feel that my legs did NOT want to get going. The run was HARD. It was still raining and I was ready to be done!! I pushed through and while it was not my speediest 5K time, I felt so accomplished when I crossed that finish line!!!

My *official* time was 2:24:15. I don't know the splits yet, but will post when I find out!

So.... I am officially a triathlete! Now it's time for a road bike (I have a Hybrid now) and then I can really see how well I can do biking!

Me w/ 2 of my girls after finishing.
326277621.jpg

And the van loaded w/ the bike & my support crew!
326278131.jpg

Thanks for the support!! I'm tired and am definitely taking tomorrow off as a well deserved rest day!

Jess

I posted on Lainie's forum, but thought I'd post here for those that missed it!

That's awesome Jess! Great job! Love the pictures.
I just switched from a hybrid to a road bike this spring. HUGE difference. You will love it.
Congrats,
Kara

That's awesome Jess! Great job! Love the pictures.
I just switched from a hybrid to a road bike this spring. HUGE difference. You will love it.
Congrats,
Kara

What kind do you have? My buddies have Giants and I have a Trek Hybrid so I might look at a Trek also. I've heard it makes a huge difference, it feels like I'm alone on my hybrid for the tri's so I'd love to see what I can do w/ a road bike!

Jess

Wow--Jess--you rock! That is an awesome accomplishment. You should be very proud of yourself.

Maggie

Great job!! I thought running the 5K with DD this morning was tough, but I could have never done it after swimming and biking that far. Your family must really be proud of you and what a great example you are setting for them! Congratulations and enjoy your well-earned day of rest.

Hi Jess!
I have a Specialized Dolce Elite. I also recently got the clip in pedals & bike shoes which also give you a lot more pedal power. I'm doing my first triathlon in September.
Have fun shopping for your new bike!
Kara

Great job!! I thought running the 5K with DD this morning was tough, but I could have never done it after swimming and biking that far. Your family must really be proud of you and what a great example you are setting for them! Congratulations and enjoy your well-earned day of rest.

Great job on the 5K run w/ your dd! I admit, the 5K run was VERY tough after the swim and long bike!! My family was super proud and now my girls are going to do a *kids of steel* tri in August! They are super excited to *train* for their race!

And I hate rest days... trying to make myself take it easy.

Jess

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.