I.C.E. and One Rep Max

KatC213

For those of you who completed an ICE rotation, did you calculate your 1RM?
Also, what were you results after completing the rotation? I'm not just talking body fat loss...did your strength increase, did your legs slim down, did your core get stronger, etc...

Hi KatC213,

I did not calculate 1RM for ICE as I don't think Cathe specifies she used it for ICE. The only DVDs that I'm aware use the 1RM to choose your weight selections are STS, STS Total Body, and Xtrain, and maybe RWH (altho I don't think RWH are in the Workout Manager). However, you can still use the progressive overload concept to increase strength in any series or rotation ... ("Progressive overload is when you gradually increase the weight, frequency, or number of repetitions in your strength training routine. This challenges your body and allows your musculoskeletal system to get stronger"). Having said that, after doing STS and/or Xtrain, I usually adjust my weights somewhat for other series because of the gains I made doing STS/Xtrain - keeping in mind the rep count/speed in the particular workout. Often when beginning a new-to-me workout, I'll select my weight used based on Cathe's selected weight and knowing from STS how my weight used for a particular exercise compares to Cathe's - Cathe's stronger than I am in many shoulder, chest, bi's/tri's exercises, but I can usually match her or go heavier for legs, back and some shoulder exercises. Then I adjust accordingly to make the workout a challenge for me. Thus the importance of keeping track of the weights you use in each workout - plus it's motivating to see on paper how your weights increase over time. HTH, Deb

In the I.C.E. guide, she has the Muscle Meltdown bonuses listed as 1RM: 75%.

Page 5 of the guide reads, "We recommend using our one rep max test only for our bonus Muscle Meltdowns to help you determine the correct weight for each upper body workout, but this is totally optional. We don’t recommend using one rep max testing for Chiseled Upper Body or Chiseled Lower Body Blast."

I stand corrected! So, I didn't use the 1RM for the muscle meltdowns .... you have my curiosity piqued though ... I may have to check my weights I've done with those against my 1RM!

I stand corrected! So, I didn't use the 1RM for the muscle meltdowns .... you have my curiosity piqued though ... I may have to check my weights I've done with those against my 1RM!
I have STS on my radar for the New Year, and thought I'd do ICE for a few weeks, and then do my 1RM for STS in December. As I was reading through the ICE materials, I just happened to notice the 1RM stuff. I guess I'll try it. With any luck, it will reduce some of the testing I have to do for STS - at least for a few exercises...

If you scroll through the ICE guide, there is a section to record your 1RM 75% for each of the exercises in the MM's.

Good idea! You can also download a list of STS exercises from the Workout Manager to do more prep work for STS. When STS 1st came out, I think I was too intimidated by all the 1RM testing .... getting started on it earlier will help!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.