I am sure this has been talked about...

gratefuldog

Cathlete
I want to introduce my sister to Cathe. She is in her mid forties and does not workout. She is motivated not only by needing to lose weight, but to lower her blood pressure. I don't want to overwhelm her with choreography or equipment. Does anyone have any ideas on which Cathe workout to start her with? I want it to involve some cardio and hand weights. I have given her my old Firm tapes, but she needs Cathe!!
Thanks in advance!

Slide and Glide comes immediatly to mind. Get a set or two of dumbbells and the gliding discs and your all set. Plus, it's a super fun workout.

I don't mean to be mean, but Cathe is not where one should start with working out. I highly recommend Gin Miller for starting out with step. I'm especially fond of Kathy Smith step videos too. If she is ready to start with Cathe, the beginner's rotation is the best way to go. I thought I was advanced, ordered RS, and then discovered I wasn't:eek: so I had to go back to the beginning. Anywhoo, I just don't want her to be overwhelmed and to give up because Cathe is so hard and advanced.

I would definitely start her out on Cathe's basic step workout. That is a very low key workout and just basic step moves.

Actually, I have two of these workouts and would be happy to send it to you for free if you think your sister would do it. (I just got the second copy when I got my high step) Or otherwise, I think if you get one of the steps this beginning workout actually comes with it!

You can personal message me with your address if you want it!

Best wishes.

I would definitely start her out on Cathe's basic step workout. That is a very low key workout and just basic step moves.

Actually, I have two of these workouts and would be happy to send it to you for free if you think your sister would do it. (I just got the second copy when I got my high step) Or otherwise, I think if you get one of the steps this beginning workout actually comes with it!

You can personal message me with your address if you want it!

Best wishes.

Tracy, That is soooooo kind of you. I agree, that is the DVD of choice (Cathe's Basic Step) for starting out. When she thinks she is ready for a rotation I agree with the poster above that the beginning rotation is also the way to go.

Janie

My sister is in the same situation and I got her Muscle Max, Travel Fit and Turbo Bar. She has worked out though over the years so not starting from scratch.

First, good for you for helping your sister. You have been given a lot of good advice here. I would add that maybe High Step Circuit would not be a bad choice, as it is labeled beginner/intermediate (one of the few Cathe workouts not labeled advanced). I also agree with someone's suggestion of Basic Step and, perhaps, Cardio and Weights, as I believe those two were included on one of the discs with the purchase of the step. I think maybe Muscle Endurance was one of those, too, but am not sure.

I agree most of the Cathe dvd's listed here are good options but the poster who suggested Cathe is generally not a great place for a beginner to start is mostly right. When I started out I just couldn't handle the choreography and plyo? I never got into that. So I started with Cathe's Basic Step dvd's (it's a big jump from those to Cathe's regular routines) and those produced by others (the Collage Video website would be a smart place to start) and worked my way up to Cathe's more advanced moves. It seems weird now that I had so much trouble but I remember being VERY frustrated until it finally just clicked. Trouble is, most beginners won't keep trying. But I always had learning issues so use your best judgement.

I agree most of the Cathe dvd's listed here are good options but the poster who suggested Cathe is generally not a great place for a beginner to start is mostly right. When I started out I just couldn't handle the choreography and plyo? I never got into that. So I started with Cathe's Basic Step dvd's (it's a big jump from those to Cathe's regular routines) and those produced by others (the Collage Video website would be a smart place to start) and worked my way up to Cathe's more advanced moves. It seems weird now that I had so much trouble but I remember being VERY frustrated until it finally just clicked. Trouble is, most beginners won't keep trying. But I always had learning issues so use your best judgement.

I must say that when I finally got back into really working out from just walking, I had to start with easier dvds, for the most part. I started out with Jari Love and The Firm and gradually worked into Cathe. I remember doing Cardio and Weights a few months after I started and I remember being soooo discouraged because it was very hard for me.

Thankfully, I can knock that thang down now, but then it was tough. I had to work up to it...And I knew I could do it because I had been there before.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.