I am soo tempted to buy P90X,any thoughts on it?

luvmylbb

Cathlete
I have been doing Cathe for awile now, and I LOVE her DVD's. But now I am getting the itch to try the P90x program.(THose darn infomercials) Will anyone please share there results and if you think it is worth it. I tried doing a search but for some reason it won't work.
THAnk you :)

Hey Luv. I don't have P90 but I do have Slim in 6 which is the sister workout of P90. I don't like it. I'm sure they're different, but I found it boring. But then I have just been getting into Cathe within the last few months.
I saw those infomercials 2 yrs.ago and was hooked. I barely ever did it tho. I heard they work though. I probably didn't help much, sorry.:-( Kali

Kali, Slim in 6 is nothing like P90x, nor is Power 90 really. (Sin6 is the most beginner/intermediate of the Beach Body workouts).

I have P90X and LOVE it! By far the most effective upper body workouts I have used, period! The rotation is put together so well...and obviously well-thought-out before the workouts were even created. The cardio is less intense (for a purpose, P90X is a strength/muscle-buiding program, and the cardio it includes works well in the system).

The whole system has an effective variety of workouts: upper body strength, lower body (using light weights or no weight), plyometrics (not the "jump as high as you can" type for most moves, but a type that seems more effective tome), yoga/stretching, a focused core workout (that really works the entire core, and not just the abs, like some supposedly "core" workouts), kickboxing, an effective ab workout (even if you end up skipping it sometimes, like I did!).

I was able to do the entire 90-day rotation without being sick of it(for me, it took about 105 days, because I added some rest days or some extra cardio from time to time). And usually, I get tired of doing the same workouts pretty quickly. The results were what kept me going.

I also really like the way the weight workouts are organized. It's not the old, stale, "work X body part to exhaustion before going on" set-up, but either push-pull (a chest exercise followed by a back exercise, then repeat, then take an active rest) or circuit (one exercise for shoulders, then biceps, then triceps, then repeat, then take active rest).

The only supplement I needed was heavier lower body work (my butt doesn't stay "up" if I don't get it!), like adding in some sets of heavy squats with the leg workout. There is also enough recovery (within workouts, between workouts, and as a designated "recovery week") to allow the body to build and repair. And Tony never says (that I recall) "hurry, hurry, hurry," which I don't like to do when working with weights.

I got in the best shape I've ever been from P90X. I finally got a "two pack" (which was on it's way to becoming a "four pack!"). My core was much stronger (after doing a few weeks of P90X, I tried pikes on the ball--which I was never able to do previously---and I could do them! And there aren't even any pikes in P90X!) My upper body definition was improved. I was much stronger (I was able to increase weights and/or reps with almost every workout.

Hmm...I should break out the P90X DVD's again!

Some people say they find the style of P90X "too macho," because Tony is a bit of a show-off at times. The sets are functional, and look like a gym, not "pretty" and decorative. No matching outfits on the exercisers and, (except for Tony!) no obvious make-up. I actually like it!

Sorry. I didn't realize there was a P90X. Thanks for the info Kathryn. Guess next time I should check my information before I reply to something.
Kali

I am tempted too! Only thing that is getting me to hesitate is I don't know where I would do pull ups. No room for a tower and I am not sure a doorway pull up bar would work the way my room is set up...I would be having to halfway hang out into the hallway, with the door open (and I'd be worrying I'd wake up my sleeping babies) and wouldn't be able to see the TV while I did them! I haven't seen the informercials, but the boards everywhere are tempting me!

Jen

>I am tempted too! Only thing that is getting me to hesitate
>is I don't know where I would do pull ups.

I started P90X doing substitutions for the back work: mostly heavy one-arm rows (alternating the side worked with each set) and heavy pullovers. Then I progressed to using heavy bands with a doorway attachment (one I got at www.sissel-online.com or is it www.sisel-online.com ? that allows me to hood the middle of the band to the top of the door. The heaviest set of bands Beachbody sells are a good resistance for this). Then I bit the bullet and got a pull-up tower, but you don't really need one.

So how does Power 90 compare to P90X? I ordered basic Power 90 and don't care for it because it's kind of boring and not as challenging as I'd hoped. Is it supposed to be something to work your way up to P90X? I just got another P90 workout in the mail that I wasn't expecting, and my credit card was charged. Didn't know it works like a book club!!!! Was that in the fine print or something?

I have P90X and I agree that is a great program, it is muscle and strength building program, and the emphasis in on the upper body. It is not as fun as Cathe's workouts, not great music or beautiful setting.
If you don't want to spend $165.00 including shipping, you can do a similar rotation using Cathe's GS or S&H, CM, KPC or KM, Imax if you have those workouts, If you have yoga or pilates you can add that one day a week or add an extra cardio if you don't have a pilates or yoga workout.

There has been so much said in the past about this and most all of it is good. All I can say is P90X gives great results!

Kathryn: Did you get good results when you were just using the bands and dumbbell substitutions for back? Before you got the tower?
Thanks for the info! It is helpful.

Jen

I use my bowflex and do lat pull downs for the pull ups. I just got started and am seeing results already!! I do hope to be able to do a chin up one day :)

catherine

I hope it's okay for me to post this link: http://www.sfu.ca/~ltoth/P90X/VFXers/vfx_intro.htm

I have found that it had great information regarding P90x - without the hype of the BeachBody site. You can browse around this site and find great information regarding the P90x workouts, possible substitutions and modifications, and the guide to the P90x rotation schedule.

Also check VF and search under "P90X" and you'll get loads of info!

I only have 4 P90x workouts I've obtained from the YaYa swap or Ebay, but have been doing something similar to the "Classic" rotation for the past 6 weeks using Cathe and other substitutions when needed. It's a great concept - having the rotation laid out for you first and then developing the workouts to fit the rotation.

Diane

ETA - I think the music is great! I sometimes use the "cues and music only" option so I can listen to the music better! :)

If your going to get it from Beach Body, make sure you get the full version, call them on the phone don't do the DVD every other month thing over the internet order form, it will run you anywhere from an extra $55 to $100 more for the program. Basically depends on what program you order, as the fluctuate depending on how many workouts there are. As they are cutting them up and charging you $20 for each + shipping every other month. And you won't get the results you would if you had the whole thing in your hands and did the program like it's directed for the 90 days. BB is doing their new lead to get you in and you get to lose the weight threw your bank account. I bought the whole thing from one of their programs it cost me $70 a friend of mine love mine so much she just log on and ordered it threw the form, she got 2 workouts every other month and it cost her $185 for the the exact same thing only problem was it took her a year to get the whole darn thing. You just can't get the same results in 12 weeks, when you don't have the full program to do it with. Not sure where your going to get it but I thought I'd send a heads up so you don't get your check book eatten up.

Kit

>So how does Power 90 compare to P90X?

I never tried Power 90, and from what I've heard about it, I've never been interested. Just my impressions from what others have said: less intense (Even Power Half HOur is more intense than Power 90), boring, less variety. Definitely NOT the system P90X is set up to be.

>If you don't want to spend $165.00 including shipping, you can
>do a similar rotation using Cathe's

I posted a P90X-like Hardcore rotation in the rotations forum when HC first came out. That can give you an idea of what P90X is like (though Cathe doesn't really offer all the elements necessary to a true P90X-like rotation, and her strength workouts just aren't set up the same. )

>Kathryn: Did you get good results when you were just using
>the bands and dumbbell substitutions for back? Before you got
>the tower?

Yes. In fact, since I can't do a real pull-up without a foot on a chairback (still!), I would still use the bands for about 1/2 of the back work after getting the tower, just to get some numbers in reps. There are also 1-arm rows and other dumbell moves included in the back workouts, and they are effective.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.