I adopted a puppy

ImFiddY

Cathlete
After the painful task of putting my 14yr old dog asleep I took a trip to the shelter and found a 6 month old mutt that was on the list to be euthanized. So I took a chance and brought him home. After crying for a day that he was not my last dog and what have I done, I am letting this pup steal my heart.

The shelter said he was collie/chow but the vet thought he was a golden mix. We will see when he is fully grown if we can figure it out. He has these amber eyes that are kind of scary but he is a very gentle dog. We named him Cody.

I wish everyone a great 2009. 2008 was a year with many hills and valleys. I'm hoping that 2009 will be a smoother ride.

Last edited:
awww... what a cutie! So glad you have a new addition to help move forward from your recent loss! Enjoy Cody!

{{{hugs}}} on the loss of your previous pup.

And congratulations on your new family member!

I'm sure you'll find that adopting him is a blessing for both you and him.

(He's a handsome guy! And he looks smart as well.)

He looks very much like the dog of a friend of mine, a chow-and-something mix. (Maybe he is a Golden + chow + something or other that goes well together. Not the odd Retriever/Basset Hound mix I once saw: the body of a Basset hound--short and squat--with a Retriever head, tail and coat.)

Is there any black on his tongue? Most chow mixes I've seen have that distinctive chow black/dark-purple tongue (or partially black tongue). I get a similar look after eating my açaí-berry sorbets! LOL!)

Last edited:
He is adorable. Looks a lot like my golden retriever and the color on his tail reminds me of a shepherd. Any way, he is so cute. Good for you for adopting him. Hope you bring each other many years of happiness.

Jean

That is one precious looking dog! I bet you'll feel the strings tugging at your heart, even stronger as time passes.

For me, I do as you do. I get another animal when my beloved animal has past. It's the only thing to do to fill that void and need of wanting to care for something very special. You did good.

(((((hugs to ya))))) and to your new family member. Proud of you for going to a shelter and saving a life.

Janie
4760884_bodyshot_175x233.gif

We lost our 12 year old black lab on New Year's Eve 2 years ago. We had a new puppy by January 3rd. It was more for me. I'm a stay at home mom and anything that needs cared for falls to me. I needed to fill that void. We now have a golden-doodle who has certainly filled that void for me. Cudos to you for saving one from the shelter. My sister did this and she has one of the sweetest dogs around. Enjoy your new puppy!!!!!!!!! Kay

Oh, he is so cute. We are looking for a dog to adopt for my dad. It's his Christmas present from me and my hubby.

Congratulations on your new family member!!!

He is a beauty! I love his eyes. I can see how he would steal your heart. He's very lucky you found him.:)

He's adorable! What a lucky guy to become a part of your family! We lost our German Shepherd a couple of years ago and have yet to get another dog but I've been having the urge! When the time is right we plan to adopt a dog in need of a home as you have done.

Happy Holiday and congratulations on your new addition!

Jo

Awww...Bless your heart for adopting a shelter dog and saving his life. I'm sure he will repay you tenfold with lots of love & happiness. He is definitely a cutie!

JJ

Welcome to Cody. It is wonderful to adopt a shelter dog. We adopted Hal from a shelter in Kentucky 6 years ago and just this year adopted another Toshi from a shelter in Georgia. We live in NY. Both dogs are absolutely great. I also volunteer at our local shelter--no kill-- and it is a great experience. I have seen so many wonderful animals find new and loving homes. All the best to your family and to its new member Cody. He is beautiful .

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.