hypothyroidism and pregnancy

wrwatch

Cathlete
I am trying to get pregnant and have found out that my thyroid is underproductive. It isn't real bad yet. My doctor says I am in early stages of thyroid failure. He was concerned about this mostly because I am trying to get pregnant. My thyroid test has come back out of normal ranges before and he hasn't been concerned. He was this time because low levels of thyroid hormone are associated with a higher incidents of miscarraige and it was my third test to come back low. (Really high,they test for the thyroid stimulating hormone.) Does anyone know anything about this condition and how much it could affect my becoming pregnant and carrying the baby to full term. He started me on a low dose of synthyroid. I am a religious about working out, and it has probably been my salvation as far as keeping my weight under some kind of control. Even at that, any donut I consume seems to end up on my backside. I would appreciate any info you can pass my way. Thanks!

my experience

Your doc will probably re-test your TSH levels after 6 weeks on whatever your dose of Synthroid is and adjust you accordingly. Once you find the dose that normalizes you, achieving and maintaining pregnancy is no problem. The fake stuff works just as well as the real stuff, your body doesn't know the difference. Just be careful about taking it regularly a good luck conceiving!

Hypothyroidism

I have had to take a synthroid pill everyday for the last 20 years for my hypothyroid condition. I had no problems getting pregnant, once we decided to try, with both of my children. During both pregnancies, my OB monitored my condition rather than my general practictioner. He felt more comfortable, as did I with this arrangement during that time. Good luck!

pregnancy and hypothyroidism

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism last August and after a month of starting on Synthroid got pregnant. I'm 35 weeks pregnant, and I'm having a great, uneventful pregnancy and have been able to work out the whole time. I've had my TSH checked every 6-8 weeks and have been keeping it between 1-2. I've had to make one small increase in dosage since I've been pregnant. Good luck!

Sara K

that's a relief

Thanks for sharing. It is a relief to know that this really is a manageable condition and that you haven't had any complications related to it. I am 37 years old so my chances of conception are lower to begin with. I was disappointed to hear from my doctor that this condition could further diminish them. I am relieved to know that there really is a medical reason for some of the symptoms I have been having. I kept telling my doctor that I workout and was careful about what I ate. I couldn't understand why I struggled so much with my weight. He didn't take my marginal weight problem serously. I am hoping that having this under control will help me keep from gaining too much weight when I finally do get pregnant.

I don't know if this will be of any help to anyone, but the first indication that I had this problem was breast tenderness and a secretion from my nipples, almost like I was beginning to lactate. The doctor said that when thyroid levels are low it causes prolactin(the hormone that promotes lactation)levels to rise in some women. Please don't take this tip and self diagnose anything, but it is worth being aware of.
A breast discharge can be a symptom of something very serious in some cases.

My Experience

I have been on synthroid for 6 years. I had no problems getting pregnant the first time, happened within a few weeks of trying, much to my husbands's dismay, ha!(just kidding!). It took longer to conceive my second child but that was because I was still nursing and wasn't getting a period. During my pregnancies, my thryoid levels (TSH and free T4) were checked every month. I had two healthy children full-term.
I think as long as you are on the right dose of synthroid and have your TSH monitored periodically to make sure, your ability to conceive and maintain a pregnancy will be great.
Best of luck to you!

Me too!

I had the same experience as Danielle did. My hypothyroidism was discovered when during a routine GYN exam my doctor found that I had a goiter. This was in September of 1992 when I was 26. I became pregnant on the second cycle of trying in January of 1993, so no problems there. I've had two other pregnancies, and both were conceived either one or two months after we decided to start trying (one ended in and early miscarriage, but that was totally unrelated to my thyroid). Both of my children were carried full term and are as healthy as I could wish for. My TSH levels were checked frequently during my pregnancies, and during my second full-term pregnancy I needed a little increase in my dosage. As long as you have your levels checked as recommended by your endocrinologist, you're unlikely to have any thyroid-related problems. Good luck!
happy.gif

Kristin

Hi Kristin!

Hi Kristin! We must have been separated at birth, LOL! Happy Mother's Day!
Danielle

thanks !

I appreciate the info shared here. It has really put my mind at rest. I am looking forward to a happy healthy pregnancy, hopefully in the near future!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.