Hypothyroid

My Dr. is sending me to see an endocrinologist. I have been on synthroid for years, and I think I should feel better and have more energy than I do. I want to try a new med also, possibly Armour, or add Cytomel to my synthroid.

I'm glad to hear that! Thyroid meds can be so tricky to figure out. It's different for everybody.

Lrusso-

I hope you're continuing to feel better! My sister suggested I recommend the book Living Well With Hypothyroidism by Mary Shomon to you. She says it was immensely helpful to her. Mary also has a page on fb and has written a lot for About,com, so if you don't want to get the book, you can google her name and find lots of info.

One of my sister's problems was that her thyroid issues were causing what appeared to be mental health issues. Her dr put her on anti-depressants, etc, which only made things worse. She thought she was losing her mind (along with her hair, eyebrows and many other physical symptoms). And she was already on synthroid at the time! Once she found a thyroid med that really worked for her, all of her mental health symptoms and most of her physical symptoms went away completely. It's frightening to think how many people may be suffering terrible symptoms but not associate it with their thyroid because they're already on thyroid meds. My sister is really grateful to Mary S for opening her eyes and empowering her to ask her dr the right questions to get to a solution.

Anyway, I just wanted to mention the book in case it could be helpful to you. Hypothyroidism is passed off as one of the "easy" diseases, that all you have to do is pop a pill and you're right as rain. That may be true for some, but for others regaining their health can be a greater struggle.

Good luck!

Lrusso-

I hope you're continuing to feel better! My sister suggested I recommend the book Living Well With Hypothyroidism by Mary Shomon to you. She says it was immensely helpful to her. Mary also has a page on fb and has written a lot for About,com, so if you don't want to get the book, you can google her name and find lots of info.

One of my sister's problems was that her thyroid issues were causing what appeared to be mental health issues. Her dr put her on anti-depressants, etc, which only made things worse. She thought she was losing her mind (along with her hair, eyebrows and many other physical symptoms). And she was already on synthroid at the time! Once she found a thyroid med that really worked for her, all of her mental health symptoms and most of her physical symptoms went away completely. It's frightening to think how many people may be suffering terrible symptoms but not associate it with their thyroid because they're already on thyroid meds. My sister is really grateful to Mary S for opening her eyes and empowering her to ask her dr the right questions to get to a solution.

Anyway, I just wanted to mention the book in case it could be helpful to you. Hypothyroidism is passed off as one of the "easy" diseases, that all you have to do is pop a pill and you're right as rain. That may be true for some, but for others regaining their health can be a greater struggle.

Good luck!

You are so right I agree with everything you said. There is so much more to the disease than just popping a pill, you have to be your own detective, because doctors think as long as your bloodwork comes back ok then the meds are working and they have done their job. They aren't concerned about all the symptoms you may still have.

I do have that book along with many more, but thank you, it has taught me a lot. The doctor doesn't even advise you on what foods can make it worse. And I have also read a huge percent of thyroid patients have depression. This is one disease that is worth doing as much research as possible and trying different solutions. Coconut oil is excellent and also cutting out gluten, those two things alone have helped me lower my meds for the first time ever.

I think it's probably too early to tell but so far so good on this Armour. Thanks again! Linda :)

Oh and thank your sister for me as well!

Linda -

My sister cut out gluten and uses coconut oil, too! So glad you're already doing your own medical detective work. :)

Take care,

Pam

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.