Hypertrophy - Body Beast versus X-train and/or Meso 2

Thanks for the great info! My goal is to build muscle mass, and I truly enjoy lifting weights so you would think I'd be happy to cut out some cardio. My problem is in my thinking...less cardio means less fat burning which leads to weight gain. However, I also know that the more muscle I build, the higher my metabolism will be which leads to more calories burned. Ugh! Maybe I will try less cardio for another month-long rotation and see how it goes.

Thanks for sharing your helpful thoughts:)
Please let us all know the outcome of the trial.

Kind Regards,

Hello twinkletoes,

How about meso 2 STS? Have you had any joy from it? Did you complete it?

All meso 2 STS, X-train and Body beast are hypertrophy program. The main concept behind the design of those program is the same IMO.

For me personally I added Body Beast because I have a "soft spot" for hypertrophy program i.e building, increasing and gaining muscle:eek::p Because I like venturing and want variety. I gained great overall result with both STS and X-train. I know I will gain more from Body Beast cause I will be executing different moves, the intensity will probably be different, the weight load will may be different, the speed will may be different . In other word my muscles will be hit differently. This could eventually help in gaining more result;);)

New challenge to muscle, the body respond. That is how it work.

Let's hope other cathlete share their thoughts on this:):):)

Thanks Nathalie! With that answer I succumbed and bought Body Beast! That's exactly what I was feeling that Body Beast would add another new dimension to hypertrophy with different moves, pacing etc. So now I will have 3 great programs (well actually 4!) for hypertrophy to employ:
XTrain Burn Sets (awesome by the way), STS Meso 2, Gym Styles (love them) AND now Body Beast!! I'll be pumping pretty!! :D

Good luck with your Body Beast training! Hope you get your super pump on!! :D:D:D

Thanks Nathalie! With that answer I succumbed and bought Body Beast! That's exactly what I was feeling that Body Beast would add another new dimension to hypertrophy with different moves, pacing etc. So now I will have 3 great programs (well actually 4!) for hypertrophy to employ:
XTrain Burn Sets (awesome by the way), STS Meso 2, Gym Styles (love them) AND now Body Beast!! I'll be pumping pretty!! :D

Good luck with your Body Beast training! Hope you get your super pump on!! :D:D:D

:D:D:D

omg, me with my enabling posts:D. I can sense you like the swelling and the pump;). Hope you have fun doing Body beast:):):). I know I will:p. Let's keep each other posted on the outcome of the pump and swelling:D:D.
I need to list all equipment to ensure I have everything before starting. I will be doing gym style first as part of Bodybuilding rotation.

All the very best to you too :) and take care,

Seems there has been A LOT of talk of Body Beast lately. I did the Lean phase last year so I'm starting up the Bulk phase next week. I started my 4th round of STS in the Fall and fizzled out. This is the first time this has happened to me with STS :( I'm not sure why I couldn't keep up with it this go around (I think busy schedule conflicted with the long workouts). I do think STS is my favorite among Beast & XTrain (especially M2) but I really do like all of them. Sagi is a hoot & keeps me entertained during the workout :D I'm anxious to see what kind of results I get with Bulk :) However I'm already shaking in my boots a bit thinking about the leg workout, it's a killer :eek:

Tracy

Seems there has been A LOT of talk of Body Beast lately. I did the Lean phase last year so I'm starting up the Bulk phase next week. I started my 4th round of STS in the Fall and fizzled out. This is the first time this has happened to me with STS :( I'm not sure why I couldn't keep up with it this go around (I think busy schedule conflicted with the long workouts). I do think STS is my favorite among Beast & XTrain (especially M2) but I really do like all of them. Sagi is a hoot & keeps me entertained during the workout :D I'm anxious to see what kind of results I get with Bulk :) However I'm already shaking in my boots a bit thinking about the leg workout, it's a killer :eek:

Tracy

:):):) You are shaking in your boots laughing out loud:D
I am happy I have them all. My favourite is Meso 2. I know it will always be. I have done it three times now:):) There is a move in Body beast which intrigue me it's a lunges variation holding the barbell under the legs:eek:. Please let me know how you get on that one:D:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I have heard of positive comment about Body beast.

Take care,

Body Beast

I hope if it is alright if I chime in here. I got STS when it first came out and have done 3 rounds in full-not back to back and got great results before I tried Body Beast.

I have done 2 full rounds of Lean Body Beast-again not back to back and have had people tell me I have never looked more lean or defined. I was laser focused on my food at the time so I know that had a great deal to do with my results. I also only did cardio 1 day per week which kind of scared me in the beginning thinking this would not be enough. For me that worked.

I also found Sagi very entertaining and funny-some people may find him irritating with all his macho talk but I thought he was funny.

I just completed STS meso 2 & 3 only and again saw improvements-time is becoming an issue for me with the long workouts so I am gearing up to start Body Beast again as they are only 30-45 minutes for the most part. I too love heavy lifting.

I really enjoy both programs but I agree I shake in my boots with Body Beast leg workouts.

All the best

Kathy

I hope if it is alright if I chime in here.

I really enjoy both programs but I agree I shake in my boots with Body Beast leg workouts.

All the best

Kathy

Hi Kathy,

You are welcome to chime in. The purpose of the thread is to share views on these program. I love hypertrophy program and since I have *not* tried Body beast yet, I am truly now wondering what I am getting myself into. I am ready to put my boots on though:D. No doubt it is going to be a challenge. Challenge is fun for me!;)

Please feel free to add more comment should you wish to:):)

Last edited:
I love Body Beast. I think Sagi is easy on the eyes and whimsical with some of the things he says. What I really like about it is that, although he's a body builder, he doesn't use ridiculous weights. Even the guys behind him use weights that are comparable to what we would use, so it's not intimidating in any way.

I liked that he held the barbell under his leg while doing the hamstring. In fact, I have used the same move in other workouts because I feel I have better balance sometimes and the focus, to me, seems to be more on my hamstring that way.

I am surprised to hear that some of you have backed off on cardio. I absolutely love a good pump after a weight workout and I'm in the middle of a six month STS rotation. I'm really feeling the power this rotation and I'm absolutely loving it. I may consider backing off of cardio but not omitting it. I was interested in the 3 day one day off routine too. To me, I feel cardio is still important, maybe just not three days a week.

You guys are so insightful, you get me thinking outside the box. I know it's all up to each individual, but you're all a wealth of knowledge. I can't count the number of decisions I've made because of you (and that's a good thing).

Got to love those definitions ;-)

Did you see muscle growth or fat loss or both?

Hi Gibbee,

This is what I mean by visible muscle growth ;-)

Got to love definitions.:eek::):)

Hope cathe does not mind me posting this here.
Picture taken at chicago trip.

Attachments

• 10168076_10153971155810043_971658610_n.jpg
    10168076_10153971155810043_971658610_n.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 76
Now that I purchased Body Beast (haven't started it yet--it is supposed to arrive tomorrow), I decided to read this thread.

Here is my dilemma. I love lifting heavy--LOVE it--but I am also a cardio junky. I have always believed that cardio is essential for fat loss--not that it inhibits it. I do understand that a lot of cardio can inhibit muscle growth, but fat loss? This confuses me. Can anyone explain why/how? Because calorie restriction and excessive cardio/MWT is the core of how fast/major weight loss programs work (Biggest Loser). If the cardio was inhibiting fat loss, why do they do it 6 hours a day?

Now granted, I just want to drop 10 pounds and get muscle definition, not lose 150 pounds, but still--same concept, right? Or wrong?

Love the question

Hey Jen,

I love your question.

My thought on this is: Our body was not made to process both catabolism-cardio - fat loss and anabolism building/toning muscle at the same time. It is simply, it is proven not possible! it is the fact:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Now while doing each we signal our body. cardio fat loss mainly (lifting does also reduce fat). When lifting even at high speed For example Cathe's Triset:D:cool: Lol one of my favourite there is a minimal cardio output but there is also reduction of fat. Lifting does create a change in body composition, without any doubt.

Now when you do both with a reasonable ratio it is fine. The problem is when the cardio frequency is excessive, the body get confused and create this inhibition you are referring to.;);)

Hope to hear from everyone on this;)

HTH

Here is my dilemma. I love lifting heavy--LOVE it--but I am also a cardio junky. I have always believed that cardio is essential for fat loss--not that it inhibits it. I do understand that a lot of cardio can inhibit muscle growth, but fat loss? This confuses me. Can anyone explain why/how?

Hi Jen,

I am back on this thread sharing a cathe article which might help answering your question. I was also hoping to hear from other cathletes....

Here is the article
Cathe Friedrich - Strength Training Vs. Cardio: What Happens When You Do Cardio and Don’t Strength Train? | Cathe Friedrich

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.