Hurt tailbone doing ab exercises - what to do?

kathydaffy

Cathlete
Hi - I know I'm a newbie but I started using Cathe's workouts three months ago and while I love them a lot of the ab exercises kill my lower back and tailbone (I know how to do the "C curve" but it doesn't help). I've tried putting padding down but after doing Lean Legs and Abs today my tailbone is in serious pain. Is there a way to modify the heels to toes and other moves so that the lower back/tailbone don't get slaughtered? I love these workouts and the results but I can barely sit down at this point. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

Ouch, kathy ..so sorry to hear of your pain. I have tailbone/coccyx pain (that runs down my leg) with pelvic issues off and on ....it's terrible at times. I barely do any core work on my back and things resembling boat pose (like paddling) are out 85% of the time. I am enjoying ICE a lot but I hardly do the core workouts on it as it is mainly "crunchy"/on the back.(of course, most people love it and I am NOT dissing ICE as I am using it often and think it is a treasure!! :)) Lying down core work isn't great for me due to neck issues and pelvic issues which cause very tight psoas and coccyx discomfort.There are other ways to work and condition the core area. Kettle Bell/ unilateral dumbbell work being one I like. (when your form is excellent, standing core work can be better than a lying down routine, IMHO).
Have you put any heat on it? (an electric heating pad helps me immensely!) Also, if you feel you have repetitive injury, I would highly recommend a couple of professional massages. Tailbones can be tricky as sometimes the pain is referring from somewhere else particularly along the spine, so if these things do not work out for you, I would suggest some radiology.
Take care. I honestly feel this boat/paddling position simply does not work for every body. You could however, try putting a stability ball against a wall, leaning on it and trying it (AFTER you have healed up).
(Obviously I am not Cathe ;) ....I could relate to what you were feeling!!) All the best.

Thank you so much, Elsie! I'm glad I'm not alone! I'm going to try standing abs for a while until the tailbone heals... and yes, the neck gets to me too! Boat pose and other moves don't work for everyone (obviously....me and you!) but I really thank you for your input. I do like the stability ball and disc exercises (who would have thought someone would like PLANKS?!) so I am grateful for your suggestions and will definitely take your recommendations seriously! I honestly thank you. :)

I hope you get better really soon & that it isn't an ongoing injury for you. And I agree, Cathe's plank work is killer! & it she works all planes of core motion.

That is such a handsome dog you have, btw!! :)

Thanks Elsie! I doubt it will be an ongoing thing, I just need to take a day or two off (not easy to do as an exercise addict LOL!)!

That handsome dog is Murray, our golden retriever. He's a bit of a snob so I won't be telling him about your compliment! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.