How to manage Osteoarthritis

rgs424

Cathlete
It seems I have osteoarthritis in my knees and low back. The low back is worse than the knees...my doctor prescribed to me some medicine to help with discomfort.

I was curious if anyone has osteoarthritis in your joints and how you manage it, especially with respect to exercise and preventing further deterioration.

THANK YOU !!

You may like my reply!

I was diagnosed with OA of the right hip about 5 years ago. That was after more then a decade of marathoning/ultra marathoning. I cut back on the impact about 60% after the diagnosis. Instead of only running I started to bike, to ride the elliptical etc. One year of the diagnosis I ran my last marathon.
After that I only did no impact cardio and lots of weights and pilates.
I maintained my strength and got very flexible.

Today I'm 23 days after of my total hip replacement surgery. I walk without any pain, I'm already back to work, exercise an hour every day.
The surgery was inevitable, and I'm glad that I did it.

My advice to you is to cut back on impact and keep your body weight somewhat low -- much easier on the joints -- and keep your muscles strong, so they can support the weakening joints more.

Best of luck to you, Mari

Congrats on the hip replacement, I was so glad to have mine done in Nov 2005. Did you do both? I still have one remaining but Ibuprofen (vitamin I ) seems to take care of it for now.

My advice is to switch from high impact to swimming or cycling. Even an elliptical.

As an occupational therapist(OT) I often work with clients who have OA. The bottom line is OA is a "wear and tear" arthritis, it's caused by wearing out your joints. The harder you are on your joints the faster they will wear out. You need to do some joint protection techniques to get them to last as long as possible.
If you had a one time consult with a physio or OT to educate you in proper joint protection may be a big help in the long run. Exercise is one thing you may cover but how you do all you everyday activities will have a big impact. For example the type of chair/beds you use, the height of your toilet seat, you posture while cooking in the kitchen, type of shoes, etc, etc. Lots of simple techniques that you can employ that will protect your joints from further deterioration. At our hospital we offer group education classes to provide this information to the public may see if there is something in your area.
Kim

I was just DX w/ OA, Knee. My Orthopedic told me to stay clear of any lunges, squats, step, etc. But of course I haven't listened as well as I should :)
She put me on some medication to take and have not been good on taking this as well. I was supposed to take 2-times daily and ice for 15 mins each night! It really hasn't been bothering me much, it did flare up a ti' bit over the RT weekend though!

They suggested giving me shots in the knee - 3- shots over a 3-week period. A thick liquid goes behind the knee cap for lubrication. Haven't heard back from them on this one!

Take Care!

"Today is a Gift, Have Fun"

~Jennifer~

www.picturetrail.com/fitness-momx2

I am right there with Mari and Dave! I just had my right hip replaced, did not have a choice. Best thing I ever did really. My advice is talk to your doctor about exercise recommendations and follow his advice. you may in the long run have to get the knee replaced, I was in the hospital with knee patients and they all seemed to be doing terrific, right after surgery! Good luck to you, I totally understand your pain!

Hey Mari! Whats up "hippie chick?":)

Another thing I forgot to mention was staying properly hydrated.

I had a bad touch of Norovirus this winter and laid in bed for 2 days, without eating or drinking, I won't go into the rest of the nasty details.

When the virus finally left, I was dehydrated and in the emergency room because of the pain in my remaining original hip. My orthopedic surgeon said it would calm down and it did. I guess the lack of fluids caused the OA to flare up.

I think I have OA in my knees. They make crackly sounds and they hurt sometimes. If you have to stay away from squats, lunges and step workouts, how do you work the muscles in your lower body?

StaceyC, I had very painful and loud (cracking, crackling) knees. What made a world of difference for me was to do lunges onto the step instead of flat on the floor. Squats don't seem to bother my knees as much, especially if I push my rear end way out, which puts much more emphasis on the glutes and less on the knees. Lunging onto the step changes the emphasis in the same way.

Thanks for the advice, Melrose. I'll definitely try that. In my younger days I always thought that if I wasn't using heavy weights and doing everything the way the instructor was doing it, I wasn't going to get enough out of the workout. Now, as I get older, I'm accepting the fact that it's ok to modify. Actually, sometimes it feels good when I'm having one of those "lazy feeling" days, knowing I don't have to kill myself.:)

I've had OA on my knees for more than half my life (darnit and I'm only 32!!) my knees make the LOUDEST crunching noise when I bend them or walk up/down steps. I've been to a few Dr's and ever single one of them has told me to make sure I keep my quads strong and have them work for my knees. I have to say so far they're right. I don't feel any pain if my legs are in good shape (thanks CATHE!!) but if I don't keep up with my workouts then the pinching and scraping starts.

The Dr has also told me to keep doing my spin or work on the eliptical when my knees are swollen. I don't really take any medication for the exception of the occasional Adivl and I don't ever seem to feel anything. I just hear alot of crunching.

I have yet to make the condition worse but I am careful to always pay attention to my footing and any warning signs that I may be using weights that are too heavy. A little pinching while running or training isn't bad but it's a sign to lay off a bit and maybe stretch out.

Good luck!

(I should probably change my name to crunchy) :p

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.