How to Beat Evening Fatigue?

beskinny

Cathlete
I am having continuing problems with "after work" fatigue. By the time I get home, change and let the dogs out I am completely wiped out. I've had my thyroid testing and everything is okay there. I eat clean during the day - starting with breakfast and then smaller meals every 2-3 hours. I usually get 8 hours of sleep and cut out caffeine by 10am. I'm just not sure what else to do! I'm not getting my workouts in because of it. :mad:

Does anyone else experience this? Any suggestions on how to beat it?

Thanks!

I'm that way, too..... I sometimes fall asleep reading to my kids in the late afternoon (or anytime, really!). Do you work out in the evening? Is there any way you can shift to morning workouts? I work out in the morning -- I'm up really early -- that's why I'm tired in the late afternoon. I go to bed really early most nights because I'm totally wiped. Sorry.... I guess I'm not offering any useful suggestions here.... just sympathizing.

I can't really help you out because I am the same--just beat at the end of the day. For me it is easier to get up earlier and workout in the morning. I have lots of energy at that time but absolutely none in the evening. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Maybe try having some green tea or any type of caffine after lunch. It might help give you an energy boost for your workout. Also maybe try to shift around your meal schedule. Sometimes I find that happens to me if I eat a larger meal at lunch time. Acutally cardio helps too, sometimes for me it's mind over matter, I force myself (when it was warmer out) to go on a power walk with the dog or a bike ride with the kids and that helped.

Hi there,

I understand what you're feeling. I often work 10 - 12 hour days and I'm exhausted when I get home. But I always work out in the evenings around 7 or 8pm. It's hard to do it, but once I get started, I feel a lot better. The workout itself seems to help me get over the fatigue. Then I feel better until it's time to go to bed. I'm just not the type who can jump out of bed in the mornings to workout, but evening workouts fit my schedule and help keep my energy up later in the day.

Hope you feel better soon,
Carrie

I totally can relate! I usually workout in the evening, . . because it is so hard to get my workouts done in the morning but after a full day of stuff, . . . .the motivation is just not there. I try really hard to just squeeze in a mid morning run, . . and when I can a 4 day split workout. I know it isn't the full hour I like to do but 30 minutes is better than nothing. I try to tell myself that if I can watch 30 minutes of TV I can move my body for 30 minutes. Of course the cold never helps. I just want to curl up by the fire with a good book and a cup of tea.

Gosh, I know the feeling...you want to just, "rest on the couch for a moment...zzzzzzzzzzzzz"! Oh, dear! I used to do my workouts after work, too, but I was just too tired, so I changed to mornings. I still get pooped at the end of the day, so I'll take my doggies for a walk or do something that requires my mental concentration (like drawing, painting or sewing). There's usually a "hump" that I need to get over, and then I'm okay 'til bed time. One thing I found to be really helpful are these vitamins that used to be offered by the Firm - just a multi with green tea and ginseng or something. When I take one with lunch, I'm much better in the evening. It wears off by the time I'm ready for bed. I'll be running out of them soon, unfortunately! They are just right and don't upset my stomach.

Good luck - we're rooting for you!!

Thank you so much for the replies, advice and empathy.

In regards to morning workouts, I am not a morning person. I have *tried* for years to get up to work out and it just isn't happening. I ran two mornings this past summer and both times my energy was so low I didn't think I would make it. :(

I may try some green tea after lunch to see if that helps. I will also take my dogs for a longer walk to see if that helps to energize me at all.

I know what you mean by that "hump". It's probably partially a mind over matter thing and I just have to make myself keep going when I get home. It needs to work because I can't take dragging at night anymore!

Don't be too hard on yourself. I am sure a lot of it, if not all of it, has to do with the shortening daylight hours, the dark encroaching upon your mood and the tendency towards hibernation some of us feel at this time of year. I am like you, a night time exerciser and I am feeling it getting very difficult to motivate myself and avoid giving in to the "well I'm yawning, so I must be exhausted, I'll just curl up on the couch with a packet of cookies and the TV remote."

Also, you are either a morning person or you are not. Multiple studies have mapped attention spans and energy levels and have detected marked differences in morning larks and night owls. A night owl will never have the energy the morning lark has if she tries to get up at 5.30 am to get her workout in. In fact, her chances of injury would go shooting up because she might try to push herself but lack the wakefulness and responses needed to avoid a fall/injury. On the other hand, morning larks wake up with good energy levels that start to diminish throughout the day whereas night owls show energy levels that gradually increase as the day goes on.

So, you are a night time person naturally, but at the moment, you are being affected by darkness and it is tricking your body and mind into believing that it is later than it is and that you are more tired, perhaps, than you really are. The only real answer is increased discipline to get you past this hump. Stand up, put your workout gear on and make a deal with yourself: start a workout, pick one that lifts your mood and is pure fun, not one whose dread factor shoots through the roof, and if you are not humming along nicely after 20 mins, then cool down, stretch and take a nice bath. At least, you tried and did not give into the dreaded lure of the couch!

Also, remind yourself that fitness is not a competition, a lot of us are struggling with the exact same feelings and tendencies right now and it's OK to do 3 workouts per week in the winter, not 6 or 7, if you just can't motivate yourself to do any more. 3 will still keep you in excellent shape if you gun it once you get into it.

Clare

Maddiesmum - thank you so much for the kind and thoughtful post! It really hit home - I have never been a morning person so trying to switch to mornings isn't the answer.

I am working on my rotation as I write. I am going to switch out my planned workouts to the ones that I love - the ones that got me hooked on Cathe to begin with. And I will put my workout clothes in the entryway so I can change immediately when I get home.

Thanks again for all the advice!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.