How Often do you get on the scale?

missyt

Cathlete
How often to do you weigh?

Daily?
Weekly?
Monthly?
Never?

I never thought I would be obsessed with my weight, but I think I am. I want to weigh every day. But, when the number goes up it is always disappointing. Even though I know it could be water weight. The scale normally goes back down in a few days.

Then I tell myself, I am only going to weigh weekly. And I get right back on the scale the next day.

I never let the scale discourage me, but I feel that if I weigh everyday, I will be more in check with myself!!!:rolleyes:

I used to weigh daily awhile back, but found myself crazy over every little pound. The number totally reflected my mood for the day. PMS week, forget about it. I would find a 5 lbs gain and wonder "is it fat? is it water???".

So fast forward a few years and 1 child later. Now I weigh once a month if that. My longest streak was 3 months. I go by how my clothes fit and how I look in the mirror to determine if I have gained/lost weight. I am not nearly as obsessed with my scale and refuse to allow it to run my life (as it did in the past). I feel great & look good and no scale is gonna tell me otherwise!!

Natasha

Never.

The only time I have any clue is when I go to the doctor and they weigh me. I use my measuring tape all the time though.
I did get an extra weigh-in after LIS because I wanted to see if I lost anything (5 lbs!).

Last edited:
Good for you girls! I am trying to stop the daily weigh ins. I do not want it to make me crazy over a pound.

They do say muscle weighs more than fat. So as long as the mirror says I look good...I think thats all that matters. Right?

:D

Every morning and every evening.:p

I can't trust my clothes because by the time I realize that they are a little tight I have gained 5 pounds.

I am at the weight that I want to be. At 5'11" I can put on 3 or 4 pounds and not see it. The scale does not freak me out, but if I gain more than two pounds I just take it easy for the next couple of days. I have maintained my weight for years and years this way. At 53 years old (and 8 years post menopausal - hysterectomy) and I find this to be the best way for me.

I eat very clean and work out hard 4 to 5 days per week. (90 to 120 minutes per session). I am a personal trainer so I am active a lot during the week.

Debbie Russo

At least once a week...usually Wednesday mornings. I figure by that time, I've burned off any weekend damage!

I try not to obsess about it, rather use the number as a gauge. Mostly rely on how my clothes fit. Funny how 5 pounds can make a difference either way.

Lisa

In the past, I've found once a week on the scale and once a week with a tape measure works best for me. Right now I need to lose some weight, so I don't get on it as often as I should (deny-deny-deny). :p I'm petite, 5'4", so I agree 5 pounds on the scale can make a difference either way.

I store my scale under my dresser .... right now it has a lot of dust on it! :p

I appear to be in the minority so far. I do go by how my clothes feel but I typically weigh myself everyday. Like one other poster I find it helps me stay on track a bit closer.

Seriously, though- what is with the PMS jump every month? I keep that in perspective (try to). It's just no fun.

Pam

I weigh several times per week. Fridays are my official day. I keep a spread sheet that goes all the way back to 2003. I wish I could just go by how my closthes fit, but for some reason I cannot get the numbers out of my head.

Jean

Every Saturday morning. I lost over 30 pounds on Jenny Craig twice and I'm at the end of round 2 and I'm not gonna gain 30 pounds again!!! So, I pay for the annual membership and I go in every Saturday. I will NOT touch the scale at home. Major phobia for me. But, I will go to a JC center and weigh in, whether I like it or not. I have to be accountable or it will get away from me. I'm at a weight lower than High School, so I'm quite happy and I don't wanna lose this feeling. Plus, I have to be able to wear all the new clothes I bought!

Weekly. I've lost 66 pounds since November 2010 and am determined to keep it off finally finally this time. LIke FINALLY. So I weigh myself weekly so I know I'm doing what I need to be doing, and adjust accordingly if I'm not.

I also have 20 more pound to lose. I've been at this weight in the past, it's a plateau weight for me where I clearly need to lose more, but my body would like to resist me and hold on to it. When I got to this point in the past I eventually got frustrated and give up and the weight slowly crept back on. Determined not to repeat that. So weekly weigh ins it is...

I weigh myself twice a week -- before the weekend and after the weekend. I find it's important to be held accountable and my scale "doesn't lie." I'm at a great weight for me, and I want to stay right here. The only way I can assure the weight isn't creeping up is to keep an eye on it.

Never! Can't remember the last time I was on the scales. I go by how my clothes fit. When I started working out with Cathe about 3/4 years ago, I dropped a dress size and have stayed there ever since. That tells me everything I need to know. :)

Cammie---I am with you... I have recently lost 30 pds and have more to go. I want to continue with the weight loss. I have gotten amaxing results since finding Cathe. So I know I will continue.

I just think weighing daily keeps me in check.
:)
In the past I stopped getting on the scale and then my pants would get tight. I am not going down that road again.:(

So for now I think I will continue with my daily weigh ins and eventually move to weekly. :eek:

Never. I don't even own a scale anymore. My clothes tell me if I'm gaining weight better than the scale does.

The scale doesn't always tell the whole truth but your clothes always will.

I don't own a scale. It messes with my head, plus I have a pre-teen daughter and it's important to me she doesn't get into that.

I sold my scale at a yard scale last summer. Hadn't used it in ages.:D

Now, I go by how my clothes fit and my waist measurement. I only get weighed at the doctor's office; I have an appointment next week so I'm sure the number will be an interesting bit of news. I try to be extra-good with diet and exercise in the weeks and days leading up to my yearly physical so that I won't be too shocked.:eek:

Last edited:
I had an eating disorder when I was in my teens because of the scale and I never want to set foot on one again.

My weight will no longer determine my mood and how I feel about myself.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.