How much cardio do older women need?

SRP

Cathlete
I was just reading Cathe's blog article about exercise after menopause. I'm not to that point yet, but "the change" has begun and I've been noticing other "changes." :)

The article said older women need "moderate" amounts of cardio. How much is moderate? Do I need to do more strength training instead? Just wondering what most of you recommend who are in that age range.

I love cardio. I've had to make some changes over the past year or so, but I'm still cardio-dominant, with three days, then two for weights and two for yoga. I'm holding steady, but I suspect it's time for a few more changes.

Thanks a bunch for any advice!

--Shannon

Heavy weights, and some bodyweight work does it for me. I do hiit twice a week for 30 minutes. My bodyweight workouts can be metabolic at times, so there's another source of cardio. If I do a couple of metabolic weight workouts, a week, that counts as my cardio. Not a lot of cardio for me. Always some kind of weight workout. Keeps me strong. I believe that's important as we age.

I think everyone is different and I've found now at 48 I do less cardio, more heavy-ish weights and am in better shape than previously. The weights give me a cardio effect and often I'll do a leg workout that alternates plyo and weights. Works for me but perhaps not everyone responds this way.

I am a long-time runner who started running into achilles, hip, and plantar fasciitis issues in my mid-40s. (What the heck???) As a result, I started modifying my runs (shorter, slower, less frequent) without pain relief, and began to gain weight and become quite discouraged about the future of my fitness. Then I found Cathe workouts and started focusing on strength and less-stressful step workouts for cardio. Thank goodness for Cathe!

To my amazement, 10 years later (now I am 54) I am able to run 3-5 miles 2 or 3 times a week in addition to my Cathe workouts, and I am entirely pain and injury free! (Other than muscle soreness of course...) :)

Sure, I am not running the 8- 15 miles runs I used to, but my legs are definitely stronger on runs now than my cardio (where before I could run sub 8-min miles without getting out of breath, but found hills tiring to my legs), but I think both strength and cardio are important.

The most important things of all as you get older are listening to your body, mixing up your workouts, TAKING REST DAYS (which is hard for me), and working at a level that challenges you now without comparing your performance to your younger self.

Never give up, never give in...

I'm 54. I run 2 times a week - one long run of 9 miles (more if I am training for a half) and one run of 4 miles. I do another run of 1-2 miles but I mix in other exercises like kettlebell swings, ball slams, squats, etc. Then I do one day of just weight training and other day where I mix in both cardio and weights.

I love running so I'm not going to give that up but I love weight training in all forms (dumbbells, med balls, kettlebells, sandbags, rope work) as well. I love mixing in weights and cardio. It's the best of both worlds.

91ab36a3783535e8baf46ca960a2e5a7.jpg

Thanks a lot, ladies! There's plenty of variety here, that's for sure.

I read so much about the importance of HIIT. I know some of you do it, but not everyone. I'm relieved. :) I love high impact, but high impact does not love me. Anyhow, I've taken notes on some of the different mixes you all have described, and I'm going to see what I can come up with. I've been doing basically the same thing for a long time now, and I think boredom is part of the reason I need a change. But my habitual mindset says, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." And so I continue to slog along. :)

Everyone have a great day!

I am 59. I love my weights. I think it's SO important as we age for so many reasons.... increasing bone density, strength, and muscle building are my main reasons to weight train. That said, I also do cardio. I don't think there is a "one answer fits all". I don't need to lose weight, in fact I have struggled in the past to keep weight on. I was running about 1200- 1300 miles a year at one point. In the last year I've cut back on my running and upped the weights and circuit training. I find that I can still run just as fast and just as far as I ever did, I just don't do it every day like I used to. I get my cardio with the running and the bootcamp classes, which are extreme cardio... but they also incorporate weights.... best of both worlds! I think with lowering the cardio and upping the weights, I am not in better shape than previously (I'm in the same shape), but I am shaped better. Does that make any sense?

My schedule these days.... and what is working nicely for me in all ways....

Sunday -- run 4 miles am and a Cathe DVD pm.
Monday -- Weight training am and boot camp/interval class pm
Tuesday -- Bootcamp/interval class at 6am and 6pm
Wednesday -- Weight training am and bootcamp/interval class pm
Thursday -- run 4 miles am, bootcamp/interval class pm
Friday -- Bootcamp/interval class am and weight training pm
Saturday -- Bootcamp/interval class am.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.