How do you manage your cats' uncontrollable shedding?

BAM

Cathlete
My cat has very thick fur and sheds so much. I'm considering having her fur shaved way down. Since it's summer, this would be the best time to do it. She's constantly cleaning herself and ingests lots of fur. I could easily brush her at least twice a day but she has a low tolerance for being brushed. I've got the Kong Zoom Groom for cats which does get a good amount of fur. I just bought the ShedMonster which is like the Furminator but apparently I'm not using it right since I'm not getting much fur out. I have to watch the video to find the right way of using it.

So I have two questions. Have you ever had your cats' fur shaved down and is it ok to do so or is it too traumatic for the cat? The other question is, have you found any supplements or anything else that has really controlled the shedding?

Kitty and I thank you! :)
Bam

Bam,

I had my cat shaved once and I will not do it again. It was a very traumatic experience for him. I know a lot of people that regularly have their cats shaved with no issues though, so I think it really depends on the cat. My cat tends to be pretty nervous in general. I've been trying to manage it by brushing frequently but it's tough to keep up with, so I'm hoping someone here has some good ideas!

fwiw, Pam

Hi Pam. I'm so sorry that your cat had such a traumatic experience. I had a Persian chinchilla cat many years ago. Her fur was quite long. My sister took her to the groomer to have her fur thinned out. When I got home and asked how it turned out, everyone had a straight face. I found my cat in my room. I think I screamed! :eek: She had been shaved down to the skin with the fur left on the face and tail. She looked like a pipe cleaner. It was very traumatic for me so I can imagine how it was for her. If that's what I had anticipated, I guess I would have been prepared for it. I told my sister to tell the groomer to leave some fur on. Obviously that didn't happen. :rolleyes: Bottom line for me is that if I do take her to have it done, I would make sure they follow my instructions.

Like you mentioned, it is hard to keep up with even if you brush frequently. The fur gets in the air and lands EVERYWHERE - on counters, the stove, furniture (the pieces that she doesn't sleep on, lol), and of course your clothes. Hopefully I can get this under control in some way.

Thanks for responding.
Bam

P.S. I guess I'm out of the loop so can you please tell me what "fwiw" stands for? :)

cats shedding

I have 3 ragdolls, the furminator is the best tool in my opinion. I have been using it for years. I would not get my cats cut they would have to be put out & I refuse to do that for anything but medical reasons. I have fur all over, can't help it & if someone does not like it they don't have to come over :) I also have a rhodesian ridgeback which adds to the shedding mix.
Good luck
Karen

Another vote for the furminator. It worked on my cat and two hairy dogs. Quite on the expensive side for a grooming tool, but worth every cent. I bought mine online years ago and it is still like new.

Please don't get your cat's fur shaved down. It is traumatic for them.

I trim my own Ragdoll cats hair with clippers, my husband holds him and I clip his underneath hair. He is more comfortable, since we live in Florida and he swallows less hair. But I would NEVER shave him, their coat is their pride and joy.

Thank you ladies for your responses. Sounds like you all have lots of experience with our VERY furry friends! :D But let me ask you something about having her fur shaved down. In no way do I want to shave it down to the skin. I want to have a reasonable amount left but take the bulk out. I do know that it is very hot for her in the summer so I'm thinking this might also help her feel a little cooler. Is it possible that it's not traumatic if some fur is left?

Bam

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.