How did everyone start exercising??

Mad-Dog88

Cathlete
I was just wondering how did everyone start/get in to exercising?? I started back in the early 80's doing Jane Fonda and Kathy Smith with my Mom. Plus I had a teacher in grade school that was also, a Jazzercise instructor. However by the late 80's / early 90's my Mom got into going to the gym and fighting. in the 90's my exercise was sporadic at best. However, by 2000 I was finally hooked again and for the most part haven't looked back.

Geoff

I started doing the 30 minute workout in my living room in the early 80’s with those girls on the in their leg warmers and headbands . Then I moved on to Jazzercise for about 5 years.
Then when we moved out to the country I found The FIRM and loved those and did those for years.
Finally in the early 2000s I found Cathe and have been doing her workout ever since.

I started doing the 30 minute workout in my living room in the early 80’s with those girls on the in their leg warmers and headbands . Then I moved on to Jazzercise for about 5 years.
Then when we moved out to the country I found The FIRM and loved those and did those for years.
Finally in the early 2000s I found Cathe and have been doing her workout ever since.
Did you have the 80's style big hair?? LOL!!

Walking..for hours to de-stress at first. Then step aerobics at a gym. Later, a friend recommended Kmart for exercise videos. I tried a few videos and stuck with Tamilee, and Kathy Smith for years after that.

I started with Charlene Pricket on TV then moved up to the original Firm Workouts and a few other people along the way to finding Cathe when she was having a sale on multiple video cassettes. It must have been in the early 2000's. I've been with Cathe since then

Back in the mid 1980s when I was a teen, I was looking at the magazine rack and saw one with Rachel McLish on the cover. She had a workout routine in it with a lower body focus, but hit total body. I did that 4 times a week and fell in love with weigh training.
Moved onto whatever workout was on tv. 20 Min Workout (yes with the um crotch shots) some localish stuff. We had a satellite dish and I had memorized what workout program was on at which time on which station lol.

Back in the mid 1980s when I was a teen, I was looking at the magazine rack and saw one with Rachel McLish on the cover. She had a workout routine in it with a lower body focus, but hit total body. I did that 4 times a week and fell in love with weigh training.
Moved onto whatever workout was on tv. 20 Min Workout (yes with the um crotch shots) some localish stuff. We had a satellite dish and I had memorized what workout program was on at which time on which station lol.
I remember that video! It was great!

I started exercising in March of 1986. I had broken my ankle in a car accident that year and the doctor told me to either swim or take up jogging or I would have a limp for the rest of my life. Well, I took up jogging. But I did not really like it that much so I went to the gym at my college and rode the indoor bike. On the bike, I would read my Shape Magazine and saw ads for videos. I picked up The Firm Volume one and loved being able to do a workout without having to go to the gym. From there-it's similar to you all-bought a step, Gin Miller, Cathe (MIS was a game changer-had to get a barbell then!)

Beth

PS: I lost the limp!

I was just wondering how did everyone start/get in to exercising?? I started back in the early 80's doing Jane Fonda and Kathy Smith with my Mom. Plus I had a teacher in grade school that was also, a Jazzercise instructor. However by the late 80's / early 90's my Mom got into going to the gym and fighting. in the 90's my exercise was sporadic at best. However, by 2000 I was finally hooked again and for the most part haven't looked back.

Geoff
I found a whole, unopened Gunnar Peterson's full core secrets workout set in a dumpster in boulder co! I was already a fan of weightlifting from my senoir year in HS and I think I scored that maybe 1 year later? So in 2001 or 2002 and then it just took off from there. I bought my first Cathe DVD of off collagevideo. com not long after that.

Another one here who started with Jane Fonda's workout LP. Then added Charlene Prickett. I also did a jazzercise type workout at the local school a couple nights a week.

I started my video with in the mid 1980s, I was like 10, my grandmother bought me a video she thought I would like to do. It was these two women with grey set. I really liked that.

Then was introduced to Step Aerobics during high school. My mother bought me the step and it came with Nadia Comenci Step. It was with this guy with blonde curly hair with Nadia in the back.

Then when I wanted to lose weight, I bought a Jane Fonda video at Walmart. I really liked that. Did a Richard Simmons workout.

Then bought a smaller step in 2007 and Cathe had Basic Step on it, I did it and loved it. It was hard, but the stepping wasn’t too complicated. And the graduated to Cathe LowImpact step, which is my favorite,

I remember I saw her on Fit Tv doing another workout from the Hardcore series and I realized how buff her and her “gang” was.

Then around 2009, I found a Leslie Sansone dvd. It was the first one a did and it was the best one.

And back to Cathe!

Jennifer Denny

Enjoy reading all these replies!!! :)
I got my start due to back problems at a young age, so it was Pilates for me. From a book and later classes. I also remember though, tuning in to The Works with Sharon Mann. I also, every now and again later down the road, followed a Pilates tv show which I wish I could remember the name of.

Started when I was diagnosed with thoracolumbar scoliosis. To maintain my posture, I can't get gain weight or else, my bones won't have the ability to support me.

Now, I just do eat for my overall health, the positive feeling I get from it.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.