How Can a person get any work done with all these pesky...

catwoman88

Cathlete
...SALES CALLS!!!!

I just had 3 sales/telemarketing calls right in a row, back-to-back-to-back! I had two lines ringing in at the same time and they were BOTH telemarketers, and I'd just hung up on a recorded call -- "Please hold for an important message..." *click* goes my handset.

Arrgghhh! How can anyone get any work done with all these telemarketing calls?! I've been getting them all d@mn day! And the only way to get them off the phone is to be rude and hang up, because they don't take "I'm not interested" at face value. As an experiment, I tried the "I'm not interested" approach with one caller, and had to tell them FOUR times before they finally realized I meant it. I mean, these people are already jacking up my day with their calls, they could at least respect it when I tell them I'm not interested.

And don't even get me started on bill collectors! They ask for one of my coworkers and when I ask what it's regarding, they say it's a "personal matter". Yeah, right?! I wasn't born yesterday and know what "personal matter" means. Translated: "We're calling to collect money they owe." I inevitably tell them that if it's a personal matter, they can call the person at their personal residence and not at work. If they continue to call, I get vicious with them. Let's just say they don't like it when the tables get turned on them. I don't mess around - I have no tolerance for debt collectors (goes back to the days when they called me to collect money I owed. I was working 70-80 hours a week killing myself to pay my debts rather than claim bankruptcy and these a-holes tore me apart emotionally with their bullying and insults - yes, they got "personal". So, I have no love for debt collectors). Anyhoo, they get reported to the Attorney General for harassment in Indiana, and I've reported them. I could go on with the things I do to toy with debt collectors and give them a dose of their own, but I've got to get back to work!

I just needed a few minutes to rant/vent. Maybe these annoying calls will end long enough for me to get my work done!

I think it should be illegal for these people to call work places! Ive had that happened to me as well. I was right in the middle of work and the stupid phone rings, looking for the owner and then wants to know if I am 18 yrs or older.
I wish it was also illegal for them to call us at home as well. Thank goodness for caller i.d!

Lori:)

I just got another one...a recording..."Hi! I'm Lisa..." Ugh! After heaving a heavy sigh, *click* goes my receiver.

You know, in Indiana, we have the no-call list. My home number is on that list, so thankfully we don't get many unwanted calls at home. If only I could get my work number on that list!!!

I would contact ANY of the companies calling either by phone or email and have them put you on their "Do Not Call" list.

As far as debt collection I understand why they call. But, I had a screw up with a company and was not getting my bills so yes, I was late. This company called 5-6 times a day with different phone numbers! They were also rude to my DH when he answered. After I got the bill paid off, they still called 5-6 times a day using different numbers. They never left messages either. So I emailed them and, apologized for my blunder about being late and asked them to STOP calling. I also asked them to put me on their "Do Not Call" list. So far, so good...:)

At work when I get the solicitors I listen politely to see what they want (but only for a brief sentence or two), tell the No Thank you or I'm not interested and then before they reply, the phone is on it's way back to the cradle.

No time, no time, no time.

At home - I just love caller ID so don't answer if I don't feel like it or many times not at all.

>And the only way to get them off the phone is to be rude and
>hang up, because they don't take "I'm not interested" at face
>value.

Just use the magic words: "please put me on your 'no-call' list." They are then legally bound to stop any further attempts to sell you anything, or call you back (for 2 years?). I rarely get sales calls anymore, because, in addition to signing up on some no-sales-calls list, I tell those that do call to put me on the no-call list.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.