How about Fit kids??

steppin out

Cathlete
Cathe's post on Facebook the other day about having a mini-bootcamp in the park with her boys got me thinking. What about a short fitness DVD for kids? Many of our kids watch us work out with Cathe on a regular basis and they may enjoy working out with Cathe too!

Sherry

What a great idea Sherry!! That would be awesome for Cathe to do. I would certainly buy it. I am looking for fun dvd's for my own kids as well as my daycare kids. I can just picture it in my mind now!

I was not sure about this but I must say, my little one tries to work out with me so maybe Sherry is on to something.

I would buy this!! My 2 year old is always saying I exercise with cathe? And he brings me my shoes....keeps me from honest..
Tracy

I'm on the fence about this one. While living a fit lifestyle is important, I think that fitness at an early age should consist of playing in the park or taking up a sport. I know, somewhat from experience, that if you try too hard to encourage children to become fit, they may rebel at a later point. If a child wants to exercise seriously when they become older, or if you really just want them to try, then by all means do so. My mother took me to a sample gym session, but said she would never bring fitness up to me again if I didn't like the experience. In the end I made myself exercise, not because I liked it, but because I knew it was good for me. My appreciation of fitness videos didn't come until I had been exercising for six months, when I took the initiative to try my mother's videos, without her coaxing. So introduce fitness, but don't be pushy.

Last edited:
Aaroneet,

I am in agreement with you about kids playing in the park or taking up a sport. My 10 year old son plays baseball and the three of us ski during the winter months, but I realize there are plenty of people who stay indoors most of the winter. I was thinking of this as something someone may do on a rainy or cold winter day. Please don't think this is something I would ever push on my child - he is skinny and doesn't need to be pushed into a fitness routine, but I thought he or other Cathe followers' children MAY enjoy something like this if it were available AND geared towards kids.

Sherry

I think this is a fantastic idea! In a fun way. The emphasis being MiniBootcamp...just a way for us to get involved with our kids in an active way. I would LOVE some indoor ideas since I have 3 kids at home during the summer months here in the Las Vegas desert where it is over 100' for at least 3 months. We can only swim so much!:confused::p

Aaroneet,

I am in agreement with you about kids playing in the park or taking up a sport. My 10 year old son plays baseball and the three of us ski during the winter months, but I realize there are plenty of people who stay indoors most of the winter. I was thinking of this as something someone may do on a rainy or cold winter day. Please don't think this is something I would ever push on my child - he is skinny and doesn't need to be pushed into a fitness routine, but I thought he or other Cathe followers' children MAY enjoy something like this if it were available AND geared towards kids.

Sherry

I see where you're going with this. I misinterpreted. My father used to try to push fitness on me, and it backfired for several years. So that's where I'm coming from.

My bad.

what a great idea

My kids (6 & 4) love to do the kids exercise on demand when they are stuck in the house and need to burn off some energy. I do it with them and they think it is fun for us to "work out" together. If Cathe were to do a kids video, I would certainly buy it :)

I think this is a great idea especially for living in areas where it is cold outside in the winter. My kids love to hop on the treadmill and grab little weights and immitate me doing my exercises or make up their own moves. I think it would be great to teach kids correct ways of doing exercises.

I taught elementary PE for a few years and kids really don't know how to do exercises correctly mainly because their parents don't take the time to teach them or don't know then they grow up and still do them incorrectly. I don't think this is pushy, but you can do it in a way that teaches them to love exercise.

Maybe she could do some kid of mini bootcamp for the WII. I know my kids would do it.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.