Homeowners Ins.

thinsgreat

Cathlete
Hello-
Curious if this is happening to anyone else. My mother lives in PA, she received a letter from her ins agent saying that she had to add a handrail and a banister outside. When I called and checked on this, they said if she did not comply, they would terminate her policy. Anyone else getting demands? She has been with this agency for many years.

Their attitude was very abrupt and I am considering looking for a new company. Any suggestions on what I need to look for ?

Thanks.

A couple of years ago our insurance agency sent an "inspector" to our house and he told us to install a handrail for the inside stairs in order to comply with code and to be able to keep our insurance. We did and informed the company and actually our homeowners insurance was lowered so it all worked out OK. I remember feeling very unsettled by his visit and was expecting the worse but that was it. They have to do this every so many years I think. We live in NYS.

I live in New Orleans and when first purchasing my house 9 years ago, I was unable to get homeowner's insurance until I put up railings on the front porch. Earlier this year I took down the front ones only (not the side ones) and haven't heard anything yet but I will not be surprised if I do hear from them. One year my agent called me asking me to talk to my neighbor about trimming his tree that was hanging over my house. I found that very odd, as if I could force my neighbor to do anything. It is all very strange!

Insurance

All of those request are to minimize your exposure to various property & liabliity claims. The carrier is not picking on anyone or doing it to cause an unnecessary expense on your part.
Karen

I recently bought a house. I had to have a handrail going down the steps to the basement and to the front porch. I think my agent told me this is something new they're doing. BTW, I live in OH.

I bought my first house in 2008 and haven't had any request like this from Safeco or Allstate. I wonder if it is different in each state. I will say my HOA is very strict and we have to comply with their rules and regulations.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.