Homemade Fage Greek-style yogurt...

Jess_jugs

Cathlete
OK, so after getting hooked on Fage from you lovely ladies, I decided to try making it! I love Fage and Oikos Greek style yogurt, but don't love the $1.56- $1.79 price tag for a small 5.3oz carton.

So... I made it using Dannon's Fat Free Plain Yogurt. Instead of typing it out, here's a similar video I found on youtube on how to strain it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rCLoFNdkmc&feature=related I don't have a cheesecloth, so I used 2 coffee filters, let it strain about 15 min, then replaced them w/ 2 more clean coffee filters. I only let it strain about an hour, because I was dying to try it out!

I was really surprised at how creamy and yummy it was!!! Not exactly like Fage, but close enough and for a 32oz tub at around $2, a MUCH better price tag!!

Just thought I'd share because I know there are other Fage lovers around here! ;)

one good thing with doing it that way is it would have live and active cultures. That is the only bad thing with Fage is there are no active cultures. I didn't realize this until recently. I eat Fage for the taste but also the high protein content. Do you think the protein goes up in the Dannon since it is more concentrated with out all the whey?

There was a Martha Stewart show with Jennifer Garner right after she had her baby where Martha and Jennifer made yogurt with the cultures from the real Fage yogurt.

I made it back then, it was really easy and it tasted just like but now I can't remember how exactly to make it and can't find it on the Martha Stewart website.

Maybe someone else kept it and can share it, or is better in navigating the website than I am.

one good thing with doing it that way is it would have live and active cultures. That is the only bad thing with Fage is there are no active cultures. I didn't realize this until recently. I eat Fage for the taste but also the high protein content. Do you think the protein goes up in the Dannon since it is more concentrated with out all the whey?

Yeah, I thought about that too. I would think the protein count would be higher, but not sure how to figure that? It still has around 12g protein for 1 cup of Dannon w/ 110 cals. I think it would drain out some of the carbs too, right? ;)

There was a Martha Stewart show with Jennifer Garner right after she had her baby where Martha and Jennifer made yogurt with the cultures from the real Fage yogurt.

I made it back then, it was really easy and it tasted just like but now I can't remember how exactly to make it and can't find it on the Martha Stewart website.

Maybe someone else kept it and can share it, or is better in navigating the website than I am.

Oh yeah, if anyone has it that would be great! I love Fage! :D

The best 18 bucks you can spend is on the Salton yogurt maker on amazon...I use fage as the base, skim milk, add vanilla and ginger and cinnamon - lasts me a week for under 3 dollars!

The best 18 bucks you can spend is on the Salton yogurt maker on amazon...I use fage as the base, skim milk, add vanilla and ginger and cinnamon - lasts me a week for under 3 dollars!

Thank you!!! I am putting that on my Christmas list! My MIL keeps asking what to get me, that will be perfect! Until then, I'll enjoy my own strained yogurt! ;)

"That is the only bad thing with Fage is there are no active cultures. "

I read on my Fage tub that is has "live active yogurt culture (L. Bulgaricus, S. Thermophilus)".

I just want to thank you for giving us this information on how to make Fage for ourselves. I'm going to try to make it with a tablespoon of Fage and a quart of warm skin milk. It should work if there iare live culture in there. That should make the yogurt, then I'll try to make Fage out of that.

I use my dehydrator to make the yogurt.

Again thank you for this suggestion, I can't wait to try it out!:eek:

Janie
4760884_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Last edited:
"That is the only bad thing with Fage is there are no active cultures. "

I read on my Fage tub that is has "live active yogurt culture (L. Bulgaricus, S. Thermophilus)".

I just want to thank you for giving us this information on how to make Fage for ourselves. I'm going to try to make it with a tablespoon of Fage and a quart of warm skin milk. It should work if there iare live culture in there. That should make the yogurt, then I'll try to make Fage out of that.

I use my dehydrator to make the yogurt.

Again thank you for this suggestion, I can't wait to try it out!:eek:

Janie

Let me know if you try it out! I was so excited, I had to share it w/ my friends here. :D

Wow I just saw on my tub that it said live cultures also...hmm I read I think in Self or somehere that there were no active cultures.

While we are talking about yogurt...who here drinks Kefir? It is awesome. It is cultred milk tastes like smoothie. Way more probiotics and protein. I get Lifeway at my grocery store but they only have it at one of the stores in my city.

Wow I just saw on my tub that it said live cultures also...hmm I read I think in Self or somehere that there were no active cultures.

While we are talking about yogurt...who here drinks Kefir? It is awesome. It is cultred milk tastes like smoothie. Way more probiotics and protein. I get Lifeway at my grocery store but they only have it at one of the stores in my city.

Yeah, I think there is live cultures in it. Otherwise it wouldn't be yogurt, right?

I tried the Lifeway Kefir and it was pretty good. My 7yo dd really liked the strawberry banana flavor but haven't bought it recently.

Jess,

I used some of the Fage (it said on the back it has live culture) to make yogurt. It didn't work. I had some culture left over for awhile and made some yogurt. Then got a towel, put it into a strainer, then put the Fage on the towel. Left it draining in the fridge, and viola, FAGE. From a quart of yogurt I have one and half cups of Fage. Is it worth it? Yes.

I told you I'd get back with you on it and just wanted to update.

Thank you so much for the inspiration to make it. I wonder if I could make yogurt out of the Fage I made? I'll try again and see. I wonder though, because there is a lot of liquid that was drained and perhaps the live culture was in that.

Thanks again,
Janie
4760884_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Jess,

I used some of the Fage (it said on the back it has live culture) to make yogurt. It didn't work. I had some culture left over for awhile and made some yogurt. Then got a towel, put it into a strainer, then put the Fage on the towel. Left it draining in the fridge, and viola, FAGE. From a quart of yogurt I have one and half cups of Fage. Is it worth it? Yes.

I told you I'd get back with you on it and just wanted to update.

Thank you so much for the inspiration to make it. I wonder if I could make yogurt out of the Fage I made? I'll try again and see. I wonder though, because there is a lot of liquid that was drained and perhaps the live culture was in that.

Thanks again,
Janie

Oh yeah! I just made another batch myself out of the Dannon Nonfat Plain yogurt. I LOVE it! It's funny that when I dump it out of the carton and let it strain, once I put it back there's only about 1/2 a carton left!! But it's creamy and yummy! I added the yogurt maker to my Christmas list! :D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.