Home births & Midwives

I had my 2nd baby with a certified nurse midwife and it was great! She was there almost all during my labor, rubbed my feet, told me I was doing great, and gave me suggestions...

I don't know anything about lay-midwifes or other "non-certified"...

I just know that my insurance will only cover a hospital labor with a certified nurse midwife...

I can't compare between the two, but I had a certified nurse midwife deliver both of my babies. For the first, the OB came in at the end and "caught" the baby and stitched my minor tear, and delivered the placenta. But for my second baby, the midwife did all those things. Her support (and friendship throughout the pregnancy) was priceless. She gave me reading advice and reassurance while pregnant, and confidence and calmness while delivering. She is a part of a traditional (though young) large OB/GYN practice, but I still always choose her for my regular appointments vs one of the Drs. I just like her best!

Lisa

Hi Autumn!

Max (2) was delivered in a hospital by a CNM and I had Lily (6 mo.) at home with a lay midwife. To sum up my midwife with Lily was a much better experience.

The CNM performed an episiotomy after I stated during my visits that I did not want one. And my episiotomy hurt for the whole 2 years until Lily was born. Also, I have other problems resulting from that delivery that may or may not be due to a poorly performed episiotomy.

My lay midwife complied with all of my requests and I feel the experience was as I wanted it to be. And my episiotomy no longer hurts (we discussed and felt likely that it was not sewn correctly, so we agreed to let it tear and resew as necessary).

I read the article you linked to. The issue in your state sounds like what was going on in Utah a year ago. My midwife in Utah was battling our state legislature while I was pregnant and her bill passed. When I was 4 months preg she couldn't authorize my ultrasound at the hospital, but by the time I was 6-7 months pregnant her bill had passed and she had this authority, etc. Here in Georgia I hear homebirth is hush hush, so that will be interesting when I'm ready to go for no. 3.

Thanks ladies for sharing information and your experiences. I would love the option of a CNM, but it isn't option. I am not sure about lay midwives. I would definitely want someone with credentials. But, you know I like credentials...I have 20 letters after my name right now. TWENTY!!! It will be reduced to 18 when I complete my current educational program. I really like credentials. :)

Autumn

Hi Autumn...for my first birth...I had certified midwives manage my pregnancy. Problem was...they were part of a group of ob/gyns and had to make all their decisions with the OB/GYNS overseeing these decisions. I had a pregnancy that was handled very badly. I was treated unneccesarily for preterm labor and I couldn't deliver the baby with the midwives because the doctor's stepped in. I was frustrated to say the least because I felt that the certified midwives were nothing more than a cheap ploy by the doctors to get in patients who prefer midwives. Obviously this is not always the case, but it's something to keep in mind. I would go to a lay midwife before choosing a certified because of the restrictions placed on certified midwives.

When I lived in Illinois I saw lay midwives for prenatal exams, but ended up delivering the baby myself (and my dh) BECAUSE..lay midwives are illegal in Illinois, but a dh can legally deliver the baby. Try to figure out that law!!! When I moved to WI....my dh delivered the next two babies, but I have NUMEROUS friends who use the lay midwives and are MUCH happier with their care than certified - primarily because the certifieds must operate under a doctor and then you are back to major intervention in many cases (not all). Just one perspective. Having a baby has become a major medical event and it does not have to be....people have been doing it for years - imagine that. Interesting article...we had our last two babies in a stock tank (horse trough) too.

ALSO VERY GOOD POINT. Problems come up in hospitals and are not questioned, but if it happens at home...the homebirth is to blame. I can think of SO MANY mothers who had problems due to doctor intervention, but nobody questions these problems.....this probably makes me the maddest.

Briee

Thanks for the input Briee! It would not have to be a CNM. I was thinking CPM (certified professional midwife). I would get my credentialed professional, but "the CPM is the only international credential that requires knowledge about and experience in out-of-hospital settings". http://www.mana.org/definitions.html#Lay Midwife

I like the out-of-hospital setting requirement. I spent most of my labor with DD at home... perfect! But DH was so sure I would deliver en route to the hosptial that I went before I was ready with DS. I warned him I would complain about being strapped to the bed by the fetal monitor and IV. Exactly what I did to prove a point. }( If there is a next time, he will listen to the person having to deliver the baby. :) :7

I checked my midwife in Utah's website (www.betterbirth.com) and she is a CPM. I don't think the CPM certification is recognised in Utah, but I could be wrong. She practiced previously in California where it is recognized. Another interesting thing, in case you want to know :p , is that CNMs are not allowed to deliver at home in Utah (at least not if they are part of an ob/gyn practice) but they are allowed to in California. Unless things have changed recently. A friend in Utah moved there from California and was surprised to find out that she couldn't find a CNM to deliver her baby at home as she had done in CA.

This just shows you how much things vary from state to state!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.