Holiday Meals/Appetizers???

Stacy

Cathlete
We have about 15 people over the house on Xmas who are fairly picky, no food allergies. I'm in charge of cooking the main course or multiple appetizers whichever the case may be. I have guests bring either one appetizer, or xmas desserts. I usually do something in the crock pot b/c it it easier. I'd like to make an actual meal but want something easy that doesn't require watching the oven as people tend to not show up on time etc. I have no problem doing something in the crock pot again (I have 3 of them) I'm just out of ideas. In the past I have done soup, chili, Italian beef for sandwiches and meatballs. I'm tired of all those. My appetizers are usually basic...chips and dip, various cheese balls etc but I'm sick of those. I'd be willing to do all appetizers if they were more hearty so people don't feel like they just snacked all day and didn't eat a "meal". My sis in law offers to bring appetizers but the last 3 years she has been consistently late showing up and then brings these elaborate appetizers that need prep time and oven time and special serving platters and then we can't eat them until she takes a pic of it etc etc. I don't time or patience for that this year lol. Any recipes/meals anyone could share would be great. Just tired of the same old same old. (And nobody likes ham)

Have you checked out Allrecipes.com? Or Pintrest.com? They have excellent recipes. I've done a sort of sweet and sour meatball that people can eat or put on a roll. I do a baked antipasto that people love. Or an Italian roll that you bake then slice into spiral like pieces. Over the years our traditions have changed. I now do a Christmas brunch. I prepare as much as possible the day/night before. It can be a bear trying to feed everyone and keep it interesting too.

Allrecipes 4+ star recipes work better for me than any other site. They have a good search system for including or excluding ingredients that may work well for your picky eaters. Reviewers give their opinions and modification which is also helpful.

I like a shredded beef/chicken/pork in the crockpot, can be served on a bed of lettuce, bread, roll or tortilla - so versatile.

Maybe some extra advanced communication with your SIL so she knows how important it is to be on time. Give her a co-hostess title (or whatever motivates her) to make her want to be there early with items ready. Whatever it takes to make your day go more smoothly.

Good luck!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out The Girl Who Ate Everything. She puts a twist on common appetizers. I made some appetizers for a guided painting party that were a huge hit: Individual Seven Layer Dips and Antipasto Cups. Prep was done earlier in the day, then assembly closer to the event. Her Salted Caramel Apple Cups are to die for and will require doubling up on your Cathe workouts!! :)

Little sandwich sliders would be a nice appetizer. You could have various fillings made ahead of time. Look on some caterer's web sites for ideas.

Can you tell I enjoy menu planning?

Good luck with your menu!

Lisa

Those sound great Lisa! I've spent an embarrassing amount of time on those websites. Reviews are also very helpful. I'll have to check out your suggestions! Thanks!

How about a ham? At Easter I make roast lamb but also have a ham because some don"t eat lamb. I get a bone in spiral cut no water added. I put it on the plate about an hour before people arrive and let it come to room temp. Seve with rolls lettuce and condiments.

I'd do either pasta (regular with spaghetti sauce or mac and cheese), or pulled pork for a group that size. Crock pot pasta is the easiest and tastiest thing you can do, and you don't even have to cook the pasta first. Check out Pinterest for recipes.
Depending on the sizes of your crock pots you could probably do both for the group with your 3 and call it a meal.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.