Holding Heavy Weights Help

How about wrist weights? You wouldn't be able to add masses of weight that way - I have sets up to 3kg (6.6lb). I use them to incrementally add weight. So you could use a BB for squats etc, and then your heaviest DB + wrist weights for 1 arm rows etc.
I guess your 'problem' is that you're strong relative to your size! Go girl!

Hi fellow Cathletes! I have just completed Week 2 of the STS series and am loving every second. I am, however, having a very hard time holding on to the heavy dumbbells during leg work. I am very small (5'3, 103 lbs) and have tiny hands. I use 2 35 lb dumbbells for deadlifts and 40s for squats but I have a VERY difficult time holding onto the weights long enough to finish the set. My legs don't tire and my forearms handle it pretty well but my grip falters terribly. I'm afraid that my tiny hands are causing the issue and am not sure what to do. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am going to pose this same question to Cathe and hope that someone can give me some guidance. Thank you! :)

Christin

I got some VersaGripps when I did STS for the first time and asked the same question. They are fabulous! And they have a small enough size for my puny hands.
http://versagripps.com/

Hi fellow Cathletes! I have just completed Week 2 of the STS series and am loving every second. I am, however, having a very hard time holding on to the heavy dumbbells during leg work. I am very small (5'3, 103 lbs) and have tiny hands. I use 2 35 lb dumbbells for deadlifts and 40s for squats but I have a VERY difficult time holding onto the weights long enough to finish the set. My legs don't tire and my forearms handle it pretty well but my grip falters terribly. I'm afraid that my tiny hands are causing the issue and am not sure what to do. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am going to pose this same question to Cathe and hope that someone can give me some guidance. Thank you! :)

Christin

I strongly suggest you view tutorial below before making a purchase decision as to whether you need a wrist wrap or lifting straps.

In long terms you might need both if you become a HEAVY weight enthusiast:).
I would go for a figure of 8 strap. I have a padded pair and they are great.

All the very best,

Thanks everyone! I went to a fitness supply place today and tried out several of the options suggested. I think I am going to try a combination of things - lifting straps with wrist wraps (those felt the best to me), 10 lb wrist weights (with removable weights), and a weighted vest, also with removable weights. Elsie3, you mentioned Versagrips and I am curious about how those differ from standard lifting straps? I'm going to try to find a place that carries that brand so I can "try before I buy". I'm sure it will take some time to figure out what I like best for the various exercises. I am still in awe at how helpful and encouraging everyone is on this forum. Justine, you made me smile - thanks for the compliment! And Nicole, those videos helped a TON! Very very thankful for you all!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.