Hip lifts or rocket shoots

SandraC

Cathlete
Any tips for getting better at doing these?

Hip lifts, pikes on the ball and levitation holds are all the ab moves I cannot presently do well. The pikes I think I can live without, for now at least, and I am improving on the levitation holds some. But these hip lifts seem like something I should be able to do well, but don't. Cathe and crew can keep their hips lifted the entire time while I go straight to the floor.

Thanks for your time,

Sandra

Sorry, no advice on how to improve these. But a word of warning, do not attempt rockets shoots if you have lower back problems. I didn't listen to my body, and the rocket lift was my ticket to the hospital. OUCH!!! Of course, there were problems there before that I didn't know about.

(In a way, it helped me, otherwise these medical tests would have never been done and I wouldn't have found out about my condition.):)

Carrie

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar072/slider-but5/lb/209/145/182.0/.png[/image][/link]

http://www.picturetrail.com/uid6743693"

I don't particularly like this move, and since Cathe has us stretch our triceps out after doing it, she must be using momentum to do them, which doesn't do much for the abs. I'd substitute some more controlled hip lifts and just forget about them.

Actually, I don't really feel it in my triceps anymore. I *used* to, but as my lower abdominal strength increased I really feel it there, especially if I don't let my hip drops. For me, letting my hips drop is "cheating" because I know I can keep them up, it just burns}( The three exercises you listed all take some serious lower ab strength, as well as some upper body engagement (more than "some" if you're doing the pikes in PUB, lol), so I would suggest trying to incorporate more exercises that really engage the lower abs---maybe even adding a pelvic tilt to most of your "regular" crunches to help out with increasing your lower abdominal endurance.

I have to say though, sometimes I think your ability to successfully complete levitation holds is directly proportional to the size of your butt. I know I used to be able to do them much better when my butt was smaller:p :7 By the time we get to the end my feet are on the floor and they just are not going to levitate without some magic fairy dust. ;-)

Mattea

>Actually, I don't really feel it in my triceps anymore. I
>*used* to, but as my lower abdominal strength increased I
>really feel it there, especially if I don't let my hip drops.
>For me, letting my hips drop is "cheating" because I know I
>can keep them up, it just burns}( The three exercises you
>listed all take some serious lower ab strength, as well as
>some upper body engagement (more than "some" if you're doing
>the pikes in PUB, lol), so I would suggest trying to
>incorporate more exercises that really engage the lower
>abs---maybe even adding a pelvic tilt to most of your
>"regular" crunches to help out with increasing your lower
>abdominal endurance.
>
>I have to say though, sometimes I think your ability to
>successfully complete levitation holds is directly
>proportional to the size of your butt. I know I used to be
>able to do them much better when my butt was smaller:p :7 By
>the time we get to the end my feet are on the floor and they
>just are not going to levitate without some magic fairy dust.
>;-)
>
>Mattea

Ditto to everything Mattea said. That has been my experience as well. Hip lifts used to be a challenge for me when I was heavier and my abs were not as strong, but they're not a challenge anymore. And my butt is pretty big so levitation holds are always a challenge. :D I'm getting better at them especially if I sit cross legged on top of my step. For some reason I can do them sitting on the step, but not when I'm sitting on the floor.

I agree with everyone who said you have to be very careful with this move if you've got any lower back issues. I have slowly eased my way into doing these... but if my back starts feeling a little "funny"... I immediately stop and substitute a different ab move. As with so many other exercises, it's all about form. If your form is compromised, then you're not ready for that exercise.:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.