Hiking

Hi all,

I love hiking, but on the downhill my legs turn to jelly and make the rest of the hike very unpleasant. I do lots of Cathe (and love it), but I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what specific exercises I can do to strenghten my downhill muscles. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sarah

Boy, I don't know. Downhill is always the easy part for me. Are you sure that your legs are aren't just fatigued by then from the uphill?? Uphill muscles, well, that is obvious. Mostly glutes and quads. I am sure with Cathe you get plenty of work in the arena. In the past, I have found step ups especially helpful with making my hiking much easier. But downhill my shins usually will hurt, so I would say shin work maybe?? Like the exercises Cathe does against the stability ball?

How steep of a hill are you trying to hike??

Sarah -

It's common, actually. Even though uphill is harder on the lungs, downhill is harder on the rest of the body. Best thing you can do to help are lower body weight exercises. Squats, lunges... You want to get your quads (they do the most work downhill) strong enough to absorb the pressure off your knees so your knees don't hurt. You can also try trekking poles - they absorb some of the pressure off the legs and put it more on the upperbody. And also, just getting out there and hiking helps a lot too.

What turns to jelly - your knees, quads, calves or all over?

Sarah, I know what you mean. Uphill is harder on the lungs, but downhill is much harder on the legs. I second the motion for shin work with the stability ball and squats for your quads.

I totally agree about the downhill being hardest on the muscles. I was looking on the internet and it seems a general consenus on most websites that in order to mimic the downhill motion you need to really focus on the negative part of a leg exercise. Below is one of the sites and it suggests to perform slow lowering movements for leg exercises. Hope this helps!

This is copied and pasted from the following link

http://www.healthy.net/scr/column.asp?ColumnId=12&ID=401

Hiking Application

While strength training is clearly advantageous for rock climbing activity, its benefits for hiking performance may be less obvious. Generally speaking, hikers should have a strong and balanced muscular system for all kinds of ambulatory actions up and down trails and mountainsides. The basic strength training program is therefore similar to that for rock climbing, and should include exercises for the quadriceps, hamstrings, hip adductors, hip abductors, pectoralis major, latissimus dorsi, deltoids, biceps, triceps, low back, abdominals and neck muscles. With this on mind, both the single-joint strength exercise program presented in Table 1 and the multiple-joint strength exercise program presented in Table 2 are highly appropriate for hikers.

Due to the nature of most hiking outings, strength training technique is extremely important. For example, hiking up the mountain is hard work that places considerable stress on the thigh muscles. However, hiking down the mountain is also hard work that places even more stress on the thigh muscles. This is because downhill hiking emphasizes negative muscle contractions that attenuate the force of gravity and prevent you from tumbling head over heels down the mountain. Negative muscle contractions cause much more microtrauma to the tissues and often lead to muscle soreness the day following the activity.

With this understanding, it would appear useful for hikers to emphasize negative muscle contractions in their strength training programs. We are not in favor of performing negative only exercise routines with heavier than normal weightloads, because excessive muscle overload can cause serious tissue damage. However, we do recommend performing slow lowering movements to accentuate the negative phase of every repetition. For example, if you take two full seconds to lift the weightload and four full seconds to lower the weightload, the negative muscle contraction receives ample attention. This should enhance the overall training effect, and translate into better muscle response to both uphill and downhill hiking.

Because hikers frequently carry packs on their backs, it is important to develop strong upper body muscles as well as strong leg muscles. The recommended training program should be sufficient in this regard, as long as you train with reasonable intensity. One set of each exercise is highly effective if you use enough resistance to fatigue the target muscle group within eight to 12 controlled repetitions. Two or three 30-minute training sessions per week should produce excellent strength gains, and this represents an important investment for better activity performance as well as improved physical fitness.

Thank you all for the great info. I knew this was the place to come for good advice. My quads are what feel like jelly on the way down, and then my knees hurt. I am working on doing my Cathe with two risers on my step to hopefully strengthen those muscles more.

Thanks a bunch,

Sarah

As a seasoned hiker (who likes to hit the high peaks of NY), I say wear knee braces, use a good walking stick, and take an ibuprofen. :D

I returned from a week of hiking in Yosemite a couple of weeks ago. No DOMS at all (and I did some very streneous hikes). I attribute the lack of soreness from doing Cathe's GS: Legs and also PLB's ball work. I did leg workouts twice per week for a month prior to going to Yosemite. This did the trick!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.