Hiking shorts recommendations

Gayle

Cathlete
Can anyone recommend some brands or sources for hiking/cargo shorts with a waistline that sits "just below" the waist (not radically low), with a decently long inseam, like 6"-8"?

I have a few pairs from LL Bean that fit the bill in the length department, but the waist comes up above my navel and drives me nuts. I've heard of "Mom jeans", would these be "Mom shorts"? :eek:

I have a pair from Columbia with the perfect waistline, but they're a bit shorter than I find comfortable.

"mom shorts" that is funny. i love to hike. i hike 2-3 hours 2 days a week. but i've been officially traumatized to NEVER wear shorts ever. about 3 weeks ago my husband and i went on a new trail that had not been maintained for 3 years, . . the ranger warned us of ticks but we really wanted the challenge. well, . . it was a challenge, . . but the ticks, . . i mean i have never seen so many in my life. my husband was wearing shorts but i wore my yoga pants and he was picking them off like daisy's in a feild. i am not a fan of any blood sucking arachnid, insect, or bug. with that said the hiking shorts that i did use i bought from j crew. my only hiking pair from a hiking source are these convertable ones http://www.exofficio.com/product_de...8007&key=b01bc044-5693-44ac-8488-2c07bd02fd1e. i love them but they have an insect repellant woven into them and i've heard that some people have allergic reactions to them.

rei.com is the best place to go for all your hiking needs. Alternatively titlenine.com has an extensive range of shirts for all activities, and all geared toward women. Worth a look.

Personally, I have a long stride and a long rise short gets in the way of that, so I backpack and hike in any old pair of cheap shorts that I wear to work out in, 3-5 inch rise max. I can't bear long rise and I need an elasticated waist. So I never "waste" money of what is deemed to be "proper" hiking shorts.

Try Tjmaxx and Marshalls stores because I often see Columbia shorts and other long rise hiking shorts there in their "exercise gear" racks. Might save some money.

Clare

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.