Hiit or regular cardio

Ivy

Cathlete
I know Hiit causes you to be in better aerobic condition, but which type of cardio burns more calories? I can't remember what the verdict was on that?

I THINK (though I could be wrong) that HIIIT burns a higher percentage of calories from fat then steady state but that steady state burns more calories over all...or something like that! LoL

Anyway, I find HIIT works better for me then steady state. Everyone is different though.

Fit-Mommy is right, everyone is different and not everyone gets great results one vs. the other so you have to experiment. From my understanding, steady state cardio burns more cals while you are doing the activity but has little EPOC afterwards while HIIT burns fewer during the workout but has greater EPOC resulting in more cals burned after. I've spent years doing steady state and haven't gotten the results i've wanted since finally switching to HIIT this past month and dropping all steady state. However, I don't think this is because one is better or more efficient then the other, i think its b/c its something totally different then what my body was used to. I think its best to try and incorporate both into your program to reap both benefits. Just like when you find lifting a particular weight to not be as challenging you lift heavier to progress, the same is true with cardio. Doing just the same steady state and not pushing yourself will cause your results to slow. You need to challenge your cardiovascular system whether its by doing more time or more intensity. Hope this helps.

what are you doing for you HIIT workouts? I want to get started and I'm excited for shock cardio, but would like something to try before. I've looked at p90x, but I'm not sure. Any input?

what are you doing for you HIIT workouts? I want to get started and I'm excited for shock cardio, but would like something to try before. I've looked at p90x, but I'm not sure. Any input?

currently i have 2 ratios i use for HIIT each of which last 20 minutes in length. I either do it on my spin bike, elliptical, or treadmill. One workout I will do is first do a 5 min warm-up then do 60 sec all out effort and 60 seconds of rest (repeat 5 times) or I do 30 sec all out effort and 60 second recovery (repeat 6 times) each one is topped off with a 5 min cool down.

This debate is happening everywhere and will probably never be settled. When I'm regularly doing cardio, I hedge my bets by alternating the two so I get the benefits of both. A lot of trainers claim fat loss happens fastest when hard-hitting (different for everyone) 20 minute steady states are integrated about 3 time per week, though. Even HIIT I never do for more than 20 minutes.

Time has been very tight lately and when that happens my focus is mostly on diet and weight training. I'm lucky if I get in any cardio. I always felt justified doing this because everything I've read for years indicated that cardio is all but optional. Now, though, a lot of trainers are insisting it ALL matters. We all have to experiment and fine tune, and what works now may not work at all in six months.

Last edited:
Thanks everybody, do you think insanity workouts fit into this category.

Great question about Insanity, Ivy. I have always read that true HiiT workouts are only about 20-30 minutes in length because that is all the body can handle. The Insanity workouts come in a bit longer than that. Also, I didn't think for it to be considered HiiT the intervals can be as long as they are in Insanity. I look forward to what others think.

Carrie

Some of each. HIIT 2-3 times a week and steady state 2-3 times a week. I hope that helps. For fat burning, focus on healthy fats in your diet. I find that intervals on my jogs and long slow burn cardio with Cathe works best like RS. I always thin out in the thigh with intervals, it doesn't have to be HIIT.

Some of each. HIIT 2-3 times a week and steady state 2-3 times a week. I hope that helps. For fat burning, focus on healthy fats in your diet. I find that intervals on my jogs and long slow burn cardio with Cathe works best like RS. I always thin out in the thigh with intervals, it doesn't have to be HIIT.

I agree. Intervals are just as effective as HIIT. Some people don't like or can't handle HIIT and end up injured. I think a lot of people get confused on true HIIT. The effort put forth with true HIIT is all out and makes you want to puke. If done right, there is no way your body can handle more then 20 minutes of HIIT and even thats pushing it. I don't think that Insanity is pure HIIT. I think its super tough interval training but due to its length i would not count it as true HIIT.

That's right. I think I heard insanity is just supposed to have much longer aerobic sections before a resting period. Atleast that's what I think.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.