High Intensity Movements

mendlmt

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anybody still does High Intensity exercise moves ie. step & aerobics now they're pregnant.

My doctor said I could still participate in high intensity as long as the moves are safe (no twisting or jumping) and that I don't get too overheated.

What are your thoughts? I have many Cathe Step DVD's but haven't done any since the birth because most are of high intensity.

Thanks for your help.
Regards
Lisa

:)

I refrained from high IMPACT while pregnant but not neccessarily high INTENSITY. I was given the all clear to exercise again at about 5 week post partum and have jumped right into the high IMPACT with out a problem....HTH.

Wendy

6/13/05 Some new pics added!Check out pics of Joey's room in the "nursery" album!

http://www.PictureTrail.com/wendymin

Hi Lisa,

I'm a bit confused, too. Are you pregnant, or post-partum? Or both? LOL!

If you're a normal, healthy woman who's been exercising consistently, and the pregnancy is "normal", then you only need to alter the parts of workouts that are uncomfortable for you. The general advice is to stay aerobic (so no interval blasts done at 100%), and work at a level that allows you to talk in 3-5 word sentances.

Unless you have a specific health situation, your doctor's advice is overly conservative. Your best guide is your own body; if it says rest, then rest; if you have enough energy for a workout, then go ahead.

I've done Cathe's workouts 6 days a week throughout my entire pregnancy (with a 9 week "break" due to a pregnancy problem that corrected itself). Depending on my energy levels for the day I'll either do the workouts unmodified, or will take down the impact. I just go by how I feel.

Hope this helps,
Sandra

Sorry everyone, I was unclear in my message.

I am currently 21 weeks pregnant with my first and I'm just so confused with all the conflicting information about whether to exercise as you used to before you fell pregnant or to take everything down to low impact.

Before I got pregnant I was jogging & doing high impact aerobics/step which I loved. Now I'm pregnant I would still like to do this and feel just as energetic to do so but I've been told by many other pregnant women that high impact exercises are unsafe???

When I do high impact aerobics and step, I ensure I keep my moves safe and use the same motion as I would whilst jogging.

Thank you for your responses so far. I really appreciate it.
Regards
Lisa

>I emailed with a link to an article that covers ACOG's
>guidelines. HTH!

Thank you so much - I'm just printing it out now.

Hi Lisa--

I always do what my body dictates. Right now at 11 weeks, I can still do quite a few high impact moves, but I find that during the IMAXes, for example, I modify somewhat because I can't keep up such high intensity for the duration of the interval.

I know that they say your heart rate should not get above 140, but I let mine get higher( but I tend to have a higher heart rate anyway, so I think this works for me.)

At some point, when my stomach gets too large, I will minimize my jumping and lower my step height, but I've a ways to go for that.

I drink tons and tons of water during my workouts, at least a quart. And I also pause the dvd and take slightly extended breaks if I feel like I get too winded.

take care! I hope you figure out what works for you.
Maggie:)

Thank you so much everyone. I'm so glad I can continue with my high intensity moves.

A special thank you to Autumn - that article was fantastic and also confirmed I can keep it high as long as I have regular check ups with the doctor.

I'm sure I'll have to modify my moves when I get a bigger tummy but in the meantime whilst I feel so energetic I will continue working out as per usual.

Thanks again
Regards
Lisa

Heart rate not a valid indicator of intensity......

Hi Lisa,

Just wanted to add my two cents in here, especially regarding the 140 max heart rate information. That is OLD information from the 1985 guidelines. That guideline went by the wayside in 1994. Now pregnant women are told to gauge intensity by perceived exertion and the talk test. Research has shown that heart rate is not a valid indicator of intensity during pregnancy. That is why they eliminated that guideline.

While doing your high impact moves be sure to hold your kegels up. As long as you can do the move with your pelvic floor engaged and pain free, you are okay. However, if you can't do the move with your kegels engaged you should not be doing the move. You don't want to be one of those women who has to wear a mini pad because you are leaking urine!

Keep us posted and good luck.

Sheila

RE: Heart rate not a valid indicator of intensity......

Thanks so much Sheila.

I totally agree with you and I will ensure I hold my kegels whilst doing the high. I have been particularly aware of exercising my kegels throughout my pregnancy, so I usually exercise them about 4 or 5 times throughout each day but it makes sense to exercise them whilst doing the high impact exercises.

Thanks again
Regards
Lisa

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.