High Blood Sugar

TG007

Cathlete
I'm in a daze. I workout everyday (well...... almost), sometimes twice a day. I eat (somewhat) good. But my blood sugar is 107 !!!

There is a diabetes in my family. My grandfather had diabetes and my mother has just been diagnosed with type2. Last year my blood sugar was 101 and 99.

I can't believe it. Just wonder if anyone has experience in this. How do you manage? I'm in a confusion mode. Not sure what to eat. Everything I pick up seems to have tons of sugar.

Another quesion, can protein drink and bars cause high blood sugar? I think the last thing I ate before I fast for the blood test was a bite (less than 1 inchX of Power Crunch bar.

Also, can fiber supplements like Fiber Choice (sugar free chewable) and Fiber Sure cause higher blood sugar?

Thanks,
TG

Hi TG,
I don't know how different it is as far as blood sugars with type 1 and type 2 diabetes (since with type 2 you are still secreting insulin just not using it properly) but my son has type 1 and I have alot of experience with that. As far as his blood sugars anything with carbohydrate in it he has to take insulin for because it raises blood sugars. It doesn't matter if it is a good carb or bad. Although simple carbs will cause a sharper and quicker spike. I would say talk to your Dr. What is your target BS range?

A fasting blood sugar of less than 110 is normal. A normal random blood sugar (not fasting) can be as higher. You're blood sugar is normal.

Buffetgirl I thought that was normal also. That was why I asked about her taget BS. My son's target is 100-120. I would be so happy if he was usually 107!!!

I'm sorry I wasn't clear. On the doctor's document the normal range for blood sugar should be 60 - 99 mg/dl. That's why I thought I'm in trouble!

ok here is the deal

Your liver may be the culprit. Your liver makes sugar overnight and that can cause your problem. You may want to be checked for fatty liver.

As for protein bars/powders- If they have enough sugar yes they can cause high blood sugar. There is a book for hypoglycemics called the Low Blood Sugar Handbook, its older but has good tips on how to deal with this issue. As it turns out treating high blood sugar and preventing low blood sugar is very much the same.

What you want to do is very carefully track your foods with a journal and do your best to avoid high sugar foods, that includes high sugar fruits too. Its critical that you also think about cutting out caffiene which works by prompting the liver to release sugar into the blood stream (which is also how it keeps you alert btw.) Caffeine is a major problem. Also, you may wish to avoid fake sweeteners because those cause blood sugar problems as well because it tricks the body into producing insulin without enough sugar in the blood stream for it to absorb, then what you have is insulin not being absorbed and it runs amok with your hormonal system because insulin that is not absorbed behaves like testosterone. Yucko.

So, what to do? Eat good fats. Fish oil is very helpful but you must be careful because too much can over thin the blood and lower your blood pressure too far (that happened to me.) Eat low carb. Weigh/measure your food as much as possible. Eat at least your body weight in protein grams. You want that source to be fish, fowl or eggs. Over time you will adjust to eating with less sugar. If you really need a chocolate fix go for the darkest chocolate you can stand and let it melt in your mouth instead of chewing it.

I hope that helps,

Alisha

I'll try my best on eating less sugar. The only fake sugar I take is in my 100% whey protein Gold Standard and Power Crunch bar (4 g of sugar but I never eat even half of the bar in one sitting. Just less than an inch for dessert)

I'm eating fish tonight :) with carb from veggies and only a little rice or potatoes.

Your liver may be the culprit. Your liver makes sugar overnight and that can cause your problem. You may want to be checked for fatty liver.

As for protein bars/powders- If they have enough sugar yes they can cause high blood sugar. There is a book for hypoglycemics called the Low Blood Sugar Handbook, its older but has good tips on how to deal with this issue. As it turns out treating high blood sugar and preventing low blood sugar is very much the same.

What you want to do is very carefully track your foods with a journal and do your best to avoid high sugar foods, that includes high sugar fruits too. Its critical that you also think about cutting out caffiene which works by prompting the liver to release sugar into the blood stream (which is also how it keeps you alert btw.) Caffeine is a major problem. Also, you may wish to avoid fake sweeteners because those cause blood sugar problems as well because it tricks the body into producing insulin without enough sugar in the blood stream for it to absorb, then what you have is insulin not being absorbed and it runs amok with your hormonal system because insulin that is not absorbed behaves like testosterone. Yucko.

So, what to do? Eat good fats. Fish oil is very helpful but you must be careful because too much can over thin the blood and lower your blood pressure too far (that happened to me.) Eat low carb. Weigh/measure your food as much as possible. Eat at least your body weight in protein grams. You want that source to be fish, fowl or eggs. Over time you will adjust to eating with less sugar. If you really need a chocolate fix go for the darkest chocolate you can stand and let it melt in your mouth instead of chewing it.

I hope that helps,

Alisha

110 as normal fasting blood glucose was changed a couple years ago I believe. According the American Diabetes Association normal fasting glucose is 99 or less.

FBS 100 to 125 is pre-diabetes. Here's a link to some info on prediabetes from the ADA.
http://www.diabetes.org/pre-diabetes.jsp

I wouldn't hesitate to ask your dr to clarify and you may benefit from diabetes education.

Of note research shows that 30 minutes of moderate activity 5 times weekly ( ie brisk walk) delays the progression to Type 2 diabetes by almost 60%. So it sounds like you're on the right track lifestyle wise.

Unfortunately there are people that do everything right lifestyle wise and still have all kinds of problems with high blood pressure, diabetes, elevated cholesterol etc. And of course there are those who make poor choices and have perfect labwork etc. Sometimes it's just plain not fair.

In any case I wouldn't worry too much. It's manageable. I've had type 2 diabetes for over 20 years now.

Diana

I had a non-fasting result of 101 and my doctor freaked out, lectured me to high heaven, and ordered another test done (even after my nurse friends assured me that a non-fasting result of 101 is very normal). I had another test done, this time fasted, and it was way lower. So, over a 100 score is now considered pre-diabetes. I'd simply clean up my act, so to speak - you say you eat "kind of" clean - clean it up more, and get your blood tested again in three months. With your history, it's not something you want to play around with. Exercising is important, but it is only a part of the puzzle.

Cinnamon has been proven to be effective in lowering blood sugar. Of course, see your doctor, but you may want to add some cinnamon to your morning cereal or health shake.

I feel comforted and scared at the same time :) from your posts. I have to admit my diet hasn't been all that clean lately. I allowed myself to eat desserts telling myself I only have a few bites. And I really only have a few bites. I'm going to try not to be panicky until I talk to the doctor and have another test done.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.