Hi Cathe, could you help a few of us with this problem?

Cathe,

Below I copied a few of the responses I received when I asked this question on a different topic and we all realized we have the same problem. Do you have any suggestions for us? Below is my original question and the responses I received. Thanks so much Cathe and I think you are awesome!

workout123 Wed Oct-04-06 01:32 AM
Member since Aug 30th 2006
12 posts

#59654, "Does this happen to anyone else?"

I am fairly new to Cathe and have found I am having a problem with he lunges with the barbell on my shoulders. I can't get through them, not because of the front leg but because of this annoying aching in the bottom of my back leg and especially my back foot. Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening? Thanks!!

MCunningham Wed Oct-04-06 02:05 AM
Member since Jan 19th 2006
12 posts

#59656, "RE: Does this happen to anyone else?"
In response to Reply # 0

AARGH!! This totally happens to me. I really feel it in my back calf and foot... it sometimes becomes unbearable. I finally started actually putting my front foot on a 6-inch step to focus the workout back onto my front leg more, and that seems to help the back-leg pain for me. I'd be interested to see if anyone else has any ideas, though.

GreenEyedLefty Wed Oct-04-06 01:20 PM
Member since Aug 18th 2006
68 posts

#59658, "RE: Does this happen to anyone else?"
In response to Reply # 0

Is it like a cramp?
I'm also fairly new to Cathe's barbell work and I when doing static lunges with the bar, my back leg feels it most deep in the quad and in my ankle. I think it has to do with maintaining proper balance and will go away in time. So far, I haven't experienced any DOMS or any other soreness in those areas. Also, I always stop early if it's too much for me.

workout123 Wed Oct-04-06 01:30 PM
Member since Aug 30th 2006
12 posts

#59660, "RE: Does this happen to anyone else?"
In response to Reply # 2

It is like an annoying aching, almost numbing feeling from my ankle down, to the point I can't finish. I can make it through all of her DVD's otherwise so I don't think it is a strength issue, not sure what it is.

kimyenchu Wed Oct-04-06 03:22 PM
Charter member
218 posts

#59665, "RE: Does this happen to anyone else?"
In response to Reply # 3
I think I have the same problem too, but I always thought that it would go away the more I do leg workouts. I have it when I do barbells and dumbbells - more with dumbbells because that is usually the second set after the barbell and my legs are already tired.

It's usually on the outside of the ankle isn't it? It's like pain and numbing.

I think you could post this on Cathe forum and ask her advice.

Yen

GreenEyedLefty Wed Oct-04-06 04:11 PM
Member since Aug 18th 2006
68 posts

#59666, "RE: Does this happen to anyone else?"
In response to Reply # 4

Yes! I feel it most on the outside of the ankle. Interesting! I'm starting to wonder if it's my shoes.

acatalina Wed Oct-04-06 05:10 PM
Member since Aug 02nd 2005
1548 posts

#59667, "RE: Does this happen to anyone else?"
In response to Reply # 0

If mine does this i will lift my foot up to a stand for a sec.
It happens to me , but not all the time.
Anne

jharris35 Wed Oct-04-06 08:32 PM
Member since Jun 25th 2006
233 posts

#59675, "RE: Does this happen to anyone else?"
In response to Reply # 6

I don't use a barbell, I use dumbbells but my calves on the back leg always tire and start to burn way before I feel anything in my front leg. I thought I was the only crazy one with this problem. Glad to see I'm not alone.

Jenn

Hi, me toooo. I get it on the ball of my foot also. What I do now is one legged squats, I can not do any type of lunge. What is a good substitute for lunges?

Karen

RE: Hi Cathe, could you help a few of us with this prob...

I'm another one with this exact same problem. My brother-in-law, who is a Physical Therapist, thinks it's something called compartmentalization. I really hate it as it keeps me from really benefitting from lunges. I don't get this problem with any type of squat. I also get this kind of pain from brisk walking (not jogging). I thought I was the only one with this problem!

Amy

Me too! I have started to just skip them because I get this horrible cramp in the calf of my back leg and can't stand it! I have tried different leg positions, using a step for the front leg (which reduces the pain, but doesn't seem to do anything a lunge is supposed to do). I keep asking myself what am I doing wrong?

I'm another one! I get severe foot pain in my back leg when doing static lunges. And the low ends make it worse! I've tried shifting positions to no avail.

Cathe can you help us????

Wow... I always thought that was something strange that only happened to me. I notice the calf/foot pain in the back leg the most during the lunges in Step, Jump & Pump. It happens in other workouts too, but it's especially bad during that one.

I'm another one who can't do static lunges. I can do moving lunges as long as I don't do too many of them. That's why I like GS Legs. It contains moving lunges. It does have static lunges at the end of the standing section, but is jut skip them. It doesn't bother me to leave them out because there are so many other good standing exercises in that workout.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.