Hernia question... (Any docs out there?)

mizlaur123

Cathlete
So I have been having pains in my lower abdomen predominantly on the right side. I had my annual at the gyno earlier today and mentioned it and she was feeling around and said I had a hernia. She gave me a prescription for a anti inflammatory and said if in two weeks I still have alot of pain or it gets worse and I can see a bulge in my stomach to go to my regular dr and I'll prob need surgery. I'm really bummed :-(. I workout about 6 days a week both cardio and weights (sometimes cardio twice a day). I should prob cut out the weight out altogether right? But what about the cardio? What kinds of exercises are ok to go with a hernia? Is it still ok to run? Thanks!

Lauren

I'm not a doctor, but I've worked as a writer in the medical field for a long time. I got out my medical dictionary to make sure of this: a hernia is "a protrusion or projection of an organ through an abnormal opening in the muscle wall of the cavity that surrounds it."

So basically, if you have a hernia, it means you've ruptured something - in this case, maybe your abdominal wall. My personal opinion is that you should take a complete rest week, or maybe two, since your gyn gave it two weeks before you should see a doc. I would imagine that the impact from running could really bother it.

But like I said, I'm not a doctor. Just be careful, and take care.

Not a doctor, but just dealt with this with my DH.

He developed an umbilical hernia (belly button) in February that was only the size of a blueberry, but bothered him a lot, even when he ran. Our primary physician told him it wasn't a big deal, but he could see a surgeon if he wanted. He tried to just live with it, but he was limited in his activity and it was a nusiance (sp?).

Long story short, he went to a surgeon who told him the smaller hernias are many times the most painful because the pressure is the greatest (small opening). He just had surgery to fix it--which is the only way to actually fix a hernia, by the way.

So, you can live with it if you want and you'll only be limited by what causes you pain--but it wasn't worth it for my DH!

Good Luck.

Kelly

My doc gave me Naproxin (basically asprin) that I will be taking 3 times a day for two weeks. She told me no heavy lifting at the gym. So I'm not going to do that but I think I'm going to run unless it starts hurting. Thanks guys!

I had an umbilical hernia after my twins and I had it surgically repaired (although, I have an outie now - ahhhhhh). But, my sister also has one and she has not had it repaired and her doctors say that is fine, too. (hers is really bad...but, she does little to no weight lifting, so her docs said it is not as big of a risk for her as it was for me)

You should see your doctor just to make sure! Good luck!

Mine would be an inguinal hernia. My dr. thinks I got it from chronic constipation. That was how my gyno (who is really a nurse practitioner) diagnosed it. I she told me to not do weights at the gym for the 2 weeks I'm supposed to be resting it. Hernias don't heal, right? So I'm just resting it to give it time to repair a little I guess? I'm kinda confused haha :p . I feel like a load though if I'm not exercising at all! And she didn't mention anything about cardio exercise.. I like to run and want to know if I could at least do that. I feel like I need to do something or I'm gonna gain weight and lose a lot of the muscle I worked so hard at putting on.

Lauren

I am so sorry you all are dealing with the dreaded hernias. A hernia is a protrusion of the intestines through a small opening in the abdominal wall, they are very common around the umbilicus and inguinal area. Rest is usually prescribed, and they can "fix" themselves, but the longer you have it the more apt it is to stay. They fix them surgically, and it is not a big deal. The real danger is if the blood flow to the part of the intestine that is sticking out gets compromised then you have a big problem, and probably will need immediate surgery. I think your dr. gave you good advice, and stay away from the weight lifting for awhile. I have had a hiatal hernia(stomach) and an inguinal that have resolved without surgery. It wasn't any fun, but I am better now. Good luck and I hope yours goes away soon.

>I am so sorry you all are dealing with the dreaded hernias.
>A hernia is a protrusion of the intestines through a small
>opening in the abdominal wall, they are very common around the
>umbilicus and inguinal area. Rest is usually prescribed, and
>they can "fix" themselves, but the longer you have it the more
>apt it is to stay. They fix them surgically, and it is not a
>big deal. The real danger is if the blood flow to the part of
>the intestine that is sticking out gets compromised then you
>have a big problem, and probably will need immediate surgery.
>I think your dr. gave you good advice, and stay away from the
>weight lifting for awhile. I have had a hiatal
>hernia(stomach) and an inguinal that have resolved without
>surgery. It wasn't any fun, but I am better now. Good luck
>and I hope yours goes away soon.

Mikkia, Do you think I have to stay away from running too?

I think that if it bothers you when you run, then yes. Mine bothered me a whole lot when i bounced up and down, like high impact step, but not so much with a run or walking. I hope you don't have to quit running too!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.