Here's a little tidbit for extra motivation

sunnyside

Cathlete
fat-v-muscle.jpg

:) Thank you and keep lifting.}(

I've been trying w/o success to convince a fitness-minded friend that she will not 'bulk up' if she builds muscle. I remember from undergraduate science courses that fat tissue is typically cuboidal (like layers of the big marshmallows). It doesn't flatten out much, it doesn't change shape. Muscle tissue (at least the skeletal kind)looks different at rest (pretty much like that picture). So when we sit down together she gets confused because my legs, when crossed, look much narrower/leaner than the width they are when my legs are extended straight and the quad area is more contracted. And I try to tell her that her legs look different when she's looking directly down at them than from any other angle--that it's messing with her head and what she thinks she sees isn't real--what she sees as 'big' or 'wide' isn't really.

(some fun from body image distortion discussions we've had over a glass of wine...)

I opened this up for motivation. I shouldn't have done that while I'm hungry. I'm now thinking of a juicy steak and lemon meringue. Help Me! I better go get a healthy snack. LOL

Great picture though. It really shows the reality of muscle taking up less space than fat.

That is what I am saying....see, this is why I get grossed out when I see people eating very badly...LARD!!! EW! LOL! Sexy piece of muscle there though.

Charlotte~~

Neat!

I agree with Toasty...I, too, get severely grossed out when I see people eating like pigs. It's weird...I have a really heightened sense of smell and eat very clean. When I am around someone who eats very "dirty" I can actually *smell* it as soon as I come into contact with them. The only way I can describe the smell is mucous. It just smells like snot when I am around people like that. And...also having a sensitive stomach, it sometimes makes me want to hurl. Although having this "special gift" (LOL) is nasty, at least it is a great incentive for me to keep eating clean and working out...I would make myself sick if I got out of shape!

I used to eat like a pig, not any more (going on 20 mos now). I started getting grossed out about a year ago, though.

It's amazing just how much difference in size the same weight of items are!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.