HELP!!

fitat49

Cathlete
I’ve gone through a rough few months, personally. I haven’t worked out in 6 months, which is the first in 30 years. I’m eating crappy and adding alcohol. Feeling vey depressed and out of shape because of this.Is it possible to get back in shape like I was? And how should I start out working out? I know I need to clean up my diet and no alcohol. I’m 60 in May, but always have been very fit. Please an advice would be appreciated. Thank You, Lori

Looks like you need to start forming new habits which takes time. I would start by doing workouts that speak to me. It won't work if it doesn't interest you. If you think things look a little stale maybe try something new. If you make the monetary investment in maybe a new dvd, new workout clothes or new equipment you may be more motivated to use them and get started again in healthy habits. Of course don't over do it because you don't want to be so sore you don't feel you can work out for another couple of days.
I hope this helps and wish you well. Keep moving forward. I not a writer but I keep track of my workouts and can see progress so maybe something along those lines as well. I'm sure many other Cathletes will chime in with excellent, sage advice.

@fitat49 , I think @snowlover has given good workout advice. Do something that sounds enjoyable. Movement in any form, whether it is yoga, weights, cardio. If you feel you would benefit from having a set rotation, and having that accountability, that might help you get momentum. Do you have ICE or LITE?

BUT, if your personality or current circumstances make it so that having a set rotation is added pressure that leads to discouragement, then maybe just set some general movement goals, like doing "something" 5 days a week or getting "X" number of steps daily.

Most importantly, please take care of your mental wellness and your life circumstances that have led to your depression and introduction of alcohol to cope. Is there a support group you can reach out to, a therapist, clergy person? Working out and eating well are terrific, healthy habits, but if our mental health is out of balance, then everything is else is compromised. Wishing you wellness and healing.

Is it possible to get back in shape like I was?
Yes! It is, Lori! You were off track for 6 months out of a 30 year life of healthy living - that is only 1/60th of your adult life! Certainly you can get back to a place where you feel you are moving forward, reaching goals and feeling healthy and happy. Life is not a steady path of constant progress; it ebbs and flows for us all.

I agree with Lisa, above, that to truly get back on track take care of your mental wellness first and foremost. If you can get support so you get to a place of self love, knowing you are doing what you can with whatever your situation, you will be in a place to practice positive self-care. The good thing is - moving your body is a great mood booster so once you get started you will start feeling better and more motivated to keep going.

For me when life gets me off track, I start small and just begin by drinking more water. Once I have that habit established, I focus on getting the sleep my body needs. After I have these foundational habits in place I add fun workouts and then once that is a routine, I have the energy to focus on my food and drink intake. One step at a time!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.