Help with weak legs!!

purplenail_girl

I seem to have the weakest legs ever. I feel sick to my stomach and get shakey when I have my lower body days. I seem to carry all of my extra weight in my legs as well. Please any advice as with what I can do. I know that seems silly but it bothers me to hate to do squats and lunges when I know that they can work wonders for my legs and backside.
Thanks,
Jenn in Jersey

Jenn:

take a deep breath......

You know, you have the same possibility for strong legs as anyone else, within your own genetic make up. Remember that Cathe didn't get where she is in a day, and neither have any of the rest of us. I remember starting out with lower body weights. Oh my! I hardly lifted anything at all, a mere 5 pounds in each hand for squats. When you are starting out, that is going heavy! And yes, it will make your legs shake and if you are trying to push yourself beyond the shakes, then yes, nausea will ensue.

Nausea, dizziness are the signs of over-exertion. The shakes are a sign that you are working hard and that the exercise is going to reap rewards for you. I get the shakes, as Cathe does on certain videos, at certain points. It's a good, normal, healthy reaction. But if your legs are shaking, then it means you are reaching your limits and you should think about reigning it in soon, then cooling down and resting.

Remember that no-one has buns of steel within a week, no-one manages to squat interminably with a 40 pound barbell within three weeks and lower leg and butt fat will take some time to shift. The ticket is slow, gradual overload for the muscles. This will keep you gaining strength and definition and losing fat.

When I first started lifting weights for the lower body, I think it took me a good 6 months to a year to really work up to using a 40 pound barbell with ease, to seeing lean legs and increased vitality.

When you start out, remember that cardio work is also strengthening your lower body, so indulge in as wide a variety of it as you can. Step, walking, running, kickbox, etc. And as you ease into weight training, a total of 10 pounds may be all the resistance you need. In fact, you could do Cathe's routines without any additional weight and still feel it! Once you solidify at a certain weight, i.e. it no longer gives you the shakes and you perorm the exercises with ease, then it's time to increase the load. But it can take months before this happens.

Patience and cut yourself a break. Mimic the tortoise: slow and steady gets you there.

Clare

Just keep working at it and it will get better. If and exercise is too hard with the weight you are using, start with less or no weight at all and add on when you feel like you can handle it. Also, don't feel like you have to do as many reps as Cathe. Try to do as much as you can, but listen to how you feel. If it's too much, take a break. Just don't give up.

ALSO, keep in mind, just because you begin a set with one weight selection, doesn't mean you have to finish the set with that weight. When I feel I am ready to move up in weight, I do so gradually. I start the set with the heavier weight and then do the second set (or finish the set) with a lighter weight. So do the heaviest you can with perfect form until you have a good "shake" going on and shift down to the next set of weights to lighten the load a bit. Before you know it, you'll be finishing all your reps and sets with the heavier weight!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.