Help with moisturizer!!

caseysmomgo

Cathlete
Happy Mother's Day to all you moms out there... My dog didn't get me anything...:p

Anyway, I'm looking to all you great ladies for some guidance. I'm 53 and still have fairly oily skin (I thought it would have gone away by now!), but I also get some dryness as well, and I can't find a moisturizer that doesn't create an oil slick on my face. I would prefer one with an SPF, but I'm also concerned about the sunscreen chemicals on my face. I sometimes try to go without a moisturizer, but I get concerned about needing the extra SPF protection. I use Bare Escentuals mineral makeup which does have an SPF, but I'm wondering if that's enough for summer when I'm out in the sun more.

Anyone have any recommendations? What's your favorite moisturizer? You ladies rock and I appreciate any input you could give...

Thanks!
Denise

I would recommend the Olay total effects touch of foundation moisturizer. My MIL started using it and it moisturizes well, but is still lightweight. It's important to stay away from moisturizers in open jars because the exposure to air degrades the antioxidants and other ingredients in it.

I'm surprised that your Bare Escentuals isn't increasing fine lines and dryness. for a powder foundation, I'd recommend Paula's Choice spf 15 powder. It's much more finely milled than other powder foundations.

Well, I'm 53 also, but I have very tight, dry skin. I wish my skin had a bit of oil in it, so count your lucky stars. I'm wrinkling rather quickly. :(

For me, there must always be two moisturizers: one to wear during the day, and one to wear at night. Do you not need a moisturizer at night? For night time, the thicker and greasier, the better. But for day time, I want something lighter that will look good under my foundation and contain sunblock. Aveeno Positively Radiant with an SPF of 15 has been working very well for me. It absorbs well, so my make-up goes on evenly. The pump bottle it comes in is very easy to use, and it's not expensive.

I save the real work horse moisturizers for the night time, and they don't contain any sunblock. If you're concerned with sunblock, why not just wear it during the day, and wear a different moisturizer at night? (One for oily skin, of course, not the Vaseline stuff I use).

Last edited:
I, too, use Olay Total Effects. I actually have dry skin with some oily around the nose and forehead. It seems to work beautifully, but I also need a separate night moisturizer. Considering trying the new ProX soon. I do love the Olay products, though. Every time I think about switching, I decide why mess with a good thing?

I have oily skin and at night I use Neutrogena anti-acne/anti-wrinkle. It's great and it's helped to keep me moisturized, but not too moisturized.

I have oily skin and I have to be careful what sunscreens I use that won't break me out and not make my skin more oily where I can't put on any makeup...
I like Avon's Total Radiance SPF 15, it dries quickly and feels very light weight on my skin, and it feels smooth and not oily or heavy.
For night, I like Avon's Ageless Results Overnight Renew cream, it also dries quickly and doesn't feel like it's just sitting on my face and going on to the pillow case.

Avon often runs sales, free shipping deals and stuff where their products are pretty afforadable.

I have gradually been converted to Paula's Choice for pretty much my entire skin care regime. You can check out their moisturizers here. I, too have combination skin, but I also bring "breaks out at the slightest provocation" to the party.

I LOVE the skin balancing moisture gel and the hydralight stuff. And, as a bonus - no animal testing! They also have a detailed section in their FAQ to let you know which products contain allergens and animal ingredients.

I'm surprised that your Bare Escentuals isn't increasing fine lines and dryness. for a powder foundation, I'd recommend Paula's Choice spf 15 powder. It's much more finely milled than other powder foundations.

I don't like Bare Escentuals either! It accentuates my pores and settles in the lines. I don't like the peculiar sheen that it gives my face, either.

I'll have to try Paula's Choice -- thanks for the tip!

I don't like Bare Escentuals either! It accentuates my pores and settles in the lines. I don't like the peculiar sheen that it gives my face, either.

I'll have to try Paula's Choice -- thanks for the tip!

BE is so messy, too! A lot of these mineral makeup companies are trying to make talc seem like it's evil. Well, talc is a mineral! It provides a silky finish which doesn't clog pores. Talc should not be used for diapering babies, or in women's um, nether regions, but for the face, if you need powder, it's great!

Paula's Choice stuff is great. Her web site, beautypedia.com has saved me so much money because she really breaks down ingredients and explains exactly what is good for your skin, and what is a waste. I've been able to get great skin by using either her products, or other products she suggests. The change has been dramatic.

I like the Olay Complete SPF 30 Defense Daily Moisturizer. It's fairly light and a pretty decent sunscreen. I use one of the Regenerist night creams too - not too heavy for a night cream...

Thanks for the tips, ladies. I think I'll check out the Olay products. I've always steered clear of them with the "Oil of Olay" mindset... I didn't want to add more "oil" to my face! But now that I'm getting older, I think I'll give them a try. I also will definitely check out Paula's Choice as well. It's so frustrating with all the bazillions of products out there to decide what to try, and what works for one may not work for someone else. I appreciate your input!!!

Thanks for the tips, ladies. I think I'll check out the Olay products. I've always steered clear of them with the "Oil of Olay" mindset... I didn't want to add more "oil" to my face! But now that I'm getting older, I think I'll give them a try. I also will definitely check out Paula's Choice as well. It's so frustrating with all the bazillions of products out there to decide what to try, and what works for one may not work for someone else. I appreciate your input!!!

I think the company dropped the "oil" part of their name a long time ago. Only some of their moisturizers contain oil any more. Olay is made by Proctor and Gamble, who also make Cover Girl, Chanel, Max Factor, etc. Often the difference between lines owned by the same company are packaging, and color options.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.