HELP! Spinning makes my head spin!

jldx2in2000

Cathlete
I am very excited about Cathe’s upcoming Cycle Max workout! :eek:

I have never done spinning before. I don’t currently own a spin bike but am planning to buy one. I like the Spinner Fit from spinning.com as it fits my budget and I know I won’t be spinning every day or maybe even every week so a more expensive one wouldn't be necessary.

What confuses me is the shoes/pedals? I had read that you really should have spinning shoes so I was looking at buying this pair:

Women's SIDI Giau Shoes - SIDI indoor cycling shoes by Spinning.

But then I see Spinning Cleats. Do I need these in addition to the shoes? Do I have to have special pedals for the cleats to work with?

And what's with spinning socks? Are they really necessary?

Any help for this wannabe spinner is appreciated!

I have the Spinner Fit - love it!! It's a great, cost-effective, space efficient bike.

I do recommend some spinning shoes - they make a big difference in your ride - but a basic, simple pair is fine. I got this pair of Shimanos from zappos.com Shimano SH-WM61 Light Blue/Black - Zappos.com Free Shipping BOTH Ways.

Beyond that, I wear regular athletic socks that I wear when I work out. No special socks are necessary. Neither are cleats/clips necessary at this point. Cleats/clips are an option if you decide to get hard-core someday or decide to take your biking outside.

Just the bike and shoes and you're good to go. Be ready to get hooked!! I'm loving having a spin bike at home - I actually can't wait to get home to do it on spin days. LOVE, LOVE. Great purchase!!!

Thanks for the advice NY25! It's nice to have confirmation that the bike I chose is a good one. And I love Zappos and would like to have more options than spinning.com had for shoes (why are spinning shoes so unattractive? :confused:).

Do you have the gel seat cover? I was thinking about getting that although I do have ample backside padding the natural way. ;)

I can't wait to start spinning!

ha! they don't seem so unattractive after you fall in love with using them :p I love my spin shoes!

As for the gel seat... yes- i have the sefras dual density gel saddle. If you have never done any spinning then the seat will take some getting use to regardless of whether it's gel or not. That "backside padding" to which you so lovingly refer won't help much with that! lol! Your body will adjust though... promise!

Yup, I too got the gel seat cover. It helps, although ultimately a strong pair of legs and core will keep your butt from getting sore, believe it or not.

I'm with you Julie - I love my spinning shoes. I think they look very cool and I feel more "athletic" and strong when I wear them for some reason. Kind of like when I used to strap on my boxing gloves when I did kickboxing at the gym with the bag. Made me feel good!

Hi All! I'll jump in and add my 2cents on the gel seat! I personally find them to be a waste of money. The first three times you ride the spin bike its a little uncomfortable on the crotch bones. Yes, gel seat or no gel seat, you will feel a little bruised down there and wonder how the heck everyone is so in love with spin :confused: But it is short lived and once you have "broken in your saddle" you will no longer feel that same pain (unless you stop spinning for a long time) and you will soon fall in love with the sweat and fat loss that everyone raves about :D:D:D Also, some gel seats have a tendency to shift to the side during the workout and that feels really distracting while your riding. Its hard to re-adjust once on your bike so it becomes a pain to get off your bike to reposition.

As for clips/cleats for the bottom of your spin shoes, I don't use those either. You will definitely get an amazing ride without them and if you get so addicted that you want even more you can always add the clips down the road (no pun intended) and increase your pedal stroke efficiency even more.

Spin socks? Never used any and my footsies never failed me :)

Enjoy your new bike and can't wait to see you in the saddle!

Last edited:
Thanks for the all the tips and advice!

I may hold off on the gel seat and just see how it goes. Since it is something that can be added later if I just can't get used to the regular saddle.

I will definitely get a pair of spin shoes because I guess a girl can never have too many shoes! :D

Now I am even more excited about getting my bike and spinning!! :eek:

i am not sure what the Spinner fit bike has, but most spin bikes I have been on at various gyms & conventions over the yrs use SPD cleats. so, the Sidi shoes you are looking at should come with cleats (double check of course) and if you are given a choice, choose SPD cleats. to me "clipping in" makes a big difference and I ride a lot outdoors (road & mtn) so it's very comfortable to me. in a spin class where it helps me the most is the fast cadence and the ramping. i have Sidi mtn bike shoes & I use them when I go to the gym for class, even if they usually have dirt on them.

as for the gel seat, I have never used them & never will. i just wear a pair of cycling shorts with a chamois. you will get used to how it feels and after a while it won't bother you.

i am not sure what the Spinner fit bike has, but most spin bikes I have been on at various gyms & conventions over the yrs use SPD cleats. so, the Sidi shoes you are looking at should come with cleats (double check of course) and if you are given a choice, choose SPD cleats. to me "clipping in" makes a big difference and I ride a lot outdoors (road & mtn) so it's very comfortable to me. in a spin class where it helps me the most is the fast cadence and the ramping. i have Sidi mtn bike shoes & I use them when I go to the gym for class, even if they usually have dirt on them.

as for the gel seat, I have never used them & never will. i just wear a pair of cycling shorts with a chamois. you will get used to how it feels and after a while it won't bother you.

I love the word ramp! Sidi's all the way, I agree with everything you said, I use spd's on both my mountain and road bikes and its got to be easy-peasy every single time, especially while mountainbiking. I hate those 1 mph crashes (and you know what I am talking about lainabaina).

Cathe is dead on about gel too. I avoid them, and wear a pair of bike shorts with a good chamois. Your sit bones will get used to the feeling and toughen up, unless the saddle is too honking big and there is no support in the right area.

Hmm! Now I need to look for biking shorts. I only have pants and capris for working out but it doesn't seem like those would be a good idea for spinning.

Thanks again for everyone's help on getting me started!

Hmm! Now I need to look for biking shorts. I only have pants and capris for working out but it doesn't seem like those would be a good idea for spinning.

Thanks again for everyone's help on getting me started!

Julie - a couple good websites for all things cycling are Performance Bicycles performancebikes.com and Bike Nashbar Bikes, Cycling Clothing, Bike Parts & Cycling Gear: Bike Discounts & Deals from Nashbar

i think if you get just a basic chamois you will be fine. you don't need anything too fancy and honestly for spin class I sometimes just wear normal workout clothes. i just am so used to wearing cycling shorts that it is just natural to me.

for those that are interested in shoes, I had to refresh my memory, but the cleats are usually sold w/ the pedals (don't worry, your spin bike should come w/ pedals...you will just need to know what type they are & my guess would be SPD). so, the shoes come "cleat compatible" meaning that they have holes in the bottom of them to where you can bolt in some cleats.

hope this helps. I have been cycling & teaching spin for almost a decade so holler if you have any other questions. Laina

I love the word ramp!
I hate those 1 mph crashes (and you know what I am talking about lainabaina).

hee hee, DirtDiva (you have the best username, wish i had thought of it)...i can't say i have crashed going that slow. luckily not too many bad ones for me, but they've all been on a technical downhill. and ramping rocks! i love it when there is a ramp during spin class. for anyone wondering what the heck a "ramp" is...it is when you are (mostly) in a standing climb and the music gets faster & faster so you have to keep your cadence up to match the beat. you can do them seated, too. they don't last long but they sure spike the HR. love them!!

I just wanted to thank everyone for their input on this.

I ordered some Pearl Izumi shoes from Zappos for $80 on sale and got them the next day (what service :eek:) and got my Spinner Fit bike yesterday.

Even though I had done Meso 2 Legs earlier in the day I couldn't help myself and did one of the 50 minute spin DVDs that came with the bike. Probably not the smartest idea but when you get a new toy, you gotta play with it! :D

My legs are definitely talking to me today and if I could look at my sit bones I am sure they would be bruised!! :eek:

I just placed an order for some Pearl Izumi Quest shorts to see if the padding helps since I will probably only be spinning a couple times a month.

Thanks again for everyone's input!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.