Help on HDL, TRI & LDL readings

mamads

Cathlete
Does anyone know why, if I have a good total cholesterol(177), good TRI(57), good HDL(43) and have a bad HDL of 123? A year ago my LDL was 108 and I've tried harder to eat healthier this year so I'm really confused.

How many days back of eating does it go back on affecting blood tests?

Does getting older have anything to do with it? I will be 65 next month.

I would appreciate any suggestions. I don't want to go on anymore medications. My high blood pressure caused me to be legally blind from a blood clot behind my eye and we are trying to get it regulated so it doesn't happen to my other eye.

Darlene

It looks like you have really good readings! I could be wrong though, those numbers confuse me too. But isn't it the lower the better?

a bad
>HDL

Now, I'm confused!
I'm sure you mean LDL (the "bad" cholesterol). HDL is always 'good' (it transports cholesterol out of the body).

I have no idea why your LDL levels went up so much in one year. What changes in diet have you made? (Maybe something you're eating under the impression that it's 'healthier' really isn't?).

I know the HDL and TRI's were good, it was the LDL's that worry me.

I wonder if it was something I'd been eating the week or two before my blood tests. That's why I wondered how long before the blood test does the food you eat make a differnce.

I've tried to make all (almost all) changes for the better and watch what I eat.

Darlene

Darlene,

You could approach this from two angles. First, try to lower the LDL level and second, raise your HDL level. So, even if you weren't able to lower your LDL to under 100, you could still improve your ratio. From my experience, my LDL level rises when I eat peanut butter, palm kernel oil, and coconut oil. I know this isn't true for everyone, but my mom is the same way. Red meat also raises it, but not as significantly. I have been able to raise my HDL level from 35 to 76 by incorporating almonds and dark chocolate every day. So, perhaps, switch any peanut butter you consume to almond butter and any treats (especially processed ones) to dark chocolate. I had my worst LDL levels when I was eating Oreos and those fudge striped cookies, so I would recommend staying away from them! :) Consistent weight training will also raise HDL levels. Also, if you don't already eat fish rich in omega-3 fatty acids, I would recommend it (or take a supplement). The omega-3s in fish reduce inflammation, so the cholesterol is less likely to become sticky and adhere to the sides of your arteries. I hope this helps some! :)

Kara

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.