Help needed...getting nowhere fast

karate_chick

Cathlete
Hi there,

I'm hoping someone can point me the right direction here as I'm getting very frustrated but don't want to give up...

I'm 42, 5'3", weigh 62kg / 33% BF - I'm desperate to get in to really good shape & have begun training consistently for the past 4 weeks (I'm not new to weight training). I'm eating clean 95% of the week (I've been allowing myself 2 glasses of wne over the weekend), sticking to 1200-1300cals.

My workouts have been consisting of circuit-type weight/cardio sessions 3x week + 2 weight workouts per week but I'm just not seeing any progress...my weight hasn't dropped at all & my clothes still feel the same.

I'm changing my routing to the following as of today:
Mon: Upper
Tues: Lower/Abs (am) / 15min HIIT + 20 mins SS (pm)
Wed: SS Cardio (40mins elliptical)
Thurs: Upper
Fri: Lower/Abs / 15min HIIT + 20 mins SS (pm)
Sat: SS Cardio (40mins elliptical)
Sun: Off

I'm putting the effort in & not seeing the results - I'm trying so hard not to give up but just feel like I'm treading water at the moment so need your help please!

Hello.

If I had to guess I would say that your calories are too low. You are working out quite a bit and 1200-1300 calories might not be enough which can cause your body to hold on to extra weight. I would check on line for a good website for calculating caloric needs - one that will figure in your activity level.

Good luck!

Natalie

I second the calorie upping as well. Most sedentary individuals who don't even workout need 1200-1300 calories just to breathe, grow hair, rejuvenate cells and so on. With your activity level your body is currently in starvation mode and not going to let u lose based on it's fear of survival. Is your energy level low?
As far as clean eating make sure your eating at least half your body weight in grams of protein each day and going about every 3-4 hours with a balance of protein, carbs from vegetables/fruit and healthy fats like avocado. And getting 7-8 hours of sleep will boost your metabolic function.
Google Bmr calculator. That will tell u how many calories ur body needs just stay in bed and do nothing the multiply that by either 1.1 on rest days, 1.2 on active days and 1.3 on very active days and you'll b able to see how many calories u really need!
Hope that helps! I know figuring out our bodies is not easy but once u do, it's smooth sailing from there!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.