Help me spend some money.

peytonsmommy

Cathlete
Christmas is coming a bit early for me! :) I'm stuck on what all to get though so I figured you ladies could help me out.

My Goals: Fat loss & Toning. I need to (re)-lose about 40lbs and I tend to gain muscle very slowly in the upper body/abs but my legs are never going to be stick thin no matter what and my quads/hamstrings bulk up pretty fast.

What I enjoy: Step Cardio, running when i'm not injured & any type of strength training that doesn't involve standing on your head backwards as you bounce on an exercise ball while lifting 454543lbs w/ your pinky toe. (i.e. I still can't do pikes on the ball).

What I despise: Kickboxing and cardio that involves lots of dancy moves w/o the step. I have two left feet.

What I already own: BM2 (my favorite!), LIC, Low Max (close 2nd!), IMAX 2 (+bootcamp) & 3, SJP & SB, MM, and all 3 GS - *ETA* I also have Core Max

WHat I know i'm getting: Drill Max & Butts & Gutts

Questions:

Do I need a highstep dvd? I've been eyeing HSC but can't decide one way or the other

Do I need any other strength dvd's? I haven't been looking at any because I'm thinking after STS is here and everyone starts talking about it, I'll cave in and get it.

Anymore fun step cardio I just HAVE to have?

I've been eyeing 4DS too, but haven't gotten it because I like MM & the GS for weights and I really dislike kickboxing so I'd be buying it and only using the step dvds.

TIA!

Last edited:
I'll help...

I love the Pyramid workouts, especially the PUB (if you go with weights). I also like Imax 1. It comes with rythmic step which everyone seems to like. To be honest I have never done it (Rhythmic). Imax is tough but a basic routine. I get soooo frustrated when I have no clue what is going on. I just did the step routine (high and low) for the 4DS this morning. I was so confused, I just stood there for 1/2 the workout (high intensity portion). The low intensity was a little easier. I feel like I don't get a good workout in when the choreography is too complex, so I usually avoid it. I'm sure if I put the time in to learn it would be alot of fun. I also like the terminator DVD. I see you are getting Drill Max.....that has the highest 'fun factor' for me. I absolutely love that one!!!

For step, I would suggest Cardio Hits. You get 3 step workouts: Step Fit, Step Works and Power Max. They're all basically athletic step but Step Works is the more complex of the three. They're a little dated but they're all good steady state step cardio. Cathe all breaks down some of the steps before the workout so you won't feel like you have two left feet when you see it in the workouts. If you're doing Body Max 2, you shouldn't have a problem with these. I don't know if you want any interval workouts, but IMAX 2 and Cardio & Weights are also great workouts and not really complicated choreographywise. Cardio & Weights also has a great ab section and is one of my favorite circuit workouts.

As for High Step Challenge, it's a good circuit workout. It's 68 mins., includes ab work and the music is pretty good.

As for leg work, my quads build up easily too so I try and stay away from a lot of barbell squats and lunges. I prefer no weight to light weight leg workouts. I know you don't like kickboxing, but Legs & Glutes is actually my favorite leg workout and doesn't include a lot of equipment and doesn't use a barbell - just dumbbells and ankle weights. She incorporates plyo moves, the workout moves very quickly which gives it a cardio effect, is not too long at 51 mins. and I like the music. I think you're making a great choice with Butts & Guts. The workout is great and the premixes are even better.

4DS is great and is worth it alone for the weight work. I don't know if you'd want it for the cardio since both step workouts are moderately complex and she doesn't give you much breakdown plus it has kickboxing.

I think you made two great choices with Drill Max and B&G but you might want to wait until STS comes out before you decide on other strength workouts. If you are getting Drill Max, you might want to wait before getting HSC. I prefer Drill Max to HSC but they're both great workouts. The choreography in HSC is basic.

HTH.

Marcy

'any type of strength training that doesn't involve standing on your head backwards as you bounce on an exercise ball while lifting 454543lbs w/ your pinky toe. (i.e. I still can't do pikes on the ball). '

LOL-that is funny

Cardio - I'll tell you right now, I can't help you with Cathe's cardio :rolleyes:, but I'd highly recommend Cardio Coach mp3 workouts for your runs. They're also perfect for any cardio machine. They're fantastic workouts!

Strength - Have you considered ordering STS? It might be a very wise choice for you, especially now while you can still get it at a reduced price.

I agree that the Pyramid workouts would be a great choice for you. I especially love the pyramid down premixes! I also love Power Hour, Supersets & Push Pull (this one has scads of premixes!), and Slow & Heavy. And I bought the 4-DS knowing full well I wouldn't be doing any of the cardio (I use CC on my elliptical), and I have never regretted my purchase. I LOVE the weight work in that one!

Good luck making a decision. Let us know what you end up getting. I really don't think you can go wrong with any of the weight workouts. ;)

Last edited:
I second the suggestions for Rhythmic step/Imax 1. Those 2 workouts would compliment what you already have and they are fun. For weight workouts, I also second PUB/PLB to tone your muscles. For strength, you might consider Slow & heavy. Others say that of all Cathe's workouts, it is considered the best for building strength. But you need to like working out at a slow pace!
I recently got 4DS. Like you, I like step the most (I seldom do hi/lo or kickboxing). I like the upper body weight workouts on 4DS, even though it doesn't have timesaver options as MM or GS. As for the step, I did struggle a lot at the beginning with the choreography. It is a little more complicated and I think that part of the challenge is the fact that Cathe uses new moves and new vocabulary for some older moves which makes it confusing at first. So it takes a while to learn them. I also like the 4DS-bootcamp cardio. Since I like to do 35-40 min. of cardio, I combine HIS with bootcamp to get a great workout.
HTH
Nathalie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.