Help! In a weight loss challenge, best rotation/nutrition? Fitnessfreak? Anyone?

scouter99

Cathlete
Hi, everyone! I need some guidance and since so many of you are BRILLIANT in this area I thought I’d come here for help. I have joined a weight loss challenge at work (started two weeks ago). I paid $50.00 and the winner gets $500 (the woman with the highest PERCENT of weightloss in 12 weeks, there is also a guy winner as well).

My problem. I have already lost 14 pounds since February (prior to the challenge) and now my weight loss has plateaued. I have really done a great job up to this point- but haven’t been able to get the scale to move in 2 weeks (perfect timing- right? Just in time for the CHALLENGE! ARGH!). Now- I know- muscle weighs more than fat. and- I do have fair amount of muscle. Even with a higher body fat percent (don’t know it but can SEE it) you can see the muscles in my arms. I LOVE to lift. I have been doing some serious strength training since January- and not much cardio. I usually lift 3 days a week, pretty heavy and do cardio twice (maybe). Sometimes I’ll do an upper and lower split and then the 3rd day that week I’ll do a full body cardio and weight circuit. As for how much I have to lose, well, realistically… I weigh 172 right now and 160 is the lowest I’ve ever been in my adult life. I was a very comfortable size 10 at that size (I am 5’9”) and would be THRILLED to be there again. 12 more pounds might not be enough to win (there are people who have 40+ to lose in this challenge) so I’ve got to lose EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THOSE POUNDS to have a chance!

I’m thinking to really get my weight loss back on track I am going to have to up the cardio quite a bit and maybe switch from the heavy weights to more endurance based- just so I’m not putting on muscle weight to compensate for the lost fat weight. What do you all think? I own ALL of Cathe’s workouts, btw. I just started doing Fitnessfreak's updated Get in Shape for Summer rotation (Ok- not sure if this is the title exactly- but it is one for summer that she updated last year to include Cathe’s newer workouts- THANK YOU SO MUCH DEBBIE!!) but this is pretty heavy on lifting and light on cardio (I think there are three strength days, one circuit day and 2 straight cardio days if I’m remembering correctly- the sheet is at home and I'm not). Is this right for me or should I do something else??

I know I need to eat clean and am trying REALLY hard. I could definitely improve in this area and work on it everyday. It is the working out that isn’t hard for me. I LOVE IT! As for calories- I am trying to eat around 1900-2000 a day because I work out 5+ days a week (my goal is 6 days but I rarely hit that) and try to walk for 20 minutes 2-3 times a week on TOP of working out. I also do Yoga 2 times a week. I saw somewhere that Debbie (Fitnessfreak) recommends eating 30g carbs, 30g fat and 40 g protein to lose weight- aren’t those too few carbs for how much I workout?? I know how to eat clean but putting it into practice is WAY easier said than done. I know that’s what is going to make or break me! I am logging everything I eat on Sparkpeople.com so I know what is actually being consumed.

$500.00 is on the line (which will go toward the Cathe roadtrip if I’m lucky enough to get my registration in before it is sold out) so please- HELP!!! Any recommendations at all? I’ll take anything! Workout advice, nutrition advice, ANYTHING! I need to get this scale to move.

TIA!
Denise

Denise,

First I want to say GO GET THEM!!! WIN WIN :D.

Your diet is going to have to be squeak clean and I have to agree with Debbie. When I reduce my carbs I see a big difference in the scale.

Just wanted to say good luck and go get them.

Therese

Up your cardio, you need to do it everyday if you want to lose faster...cut out the carbs, have them in the AM and then at lunch, totaling around 140 calories worth. Eat a ton of protein...drink a gallon of water a day and watch it fall off.

It worked for me!;) Its harsh though.

Right now I would try and increase your cardio (and of course eat clean -- that is the MAIN thing to do). A while back I was stuck at a plateau -- I was trying to lose 5 to 8 pounds (I was close to my goal). I had been doing a huge amount of cardio and only a small portion of weight work -- not seeing any budge in the scale). I would do a total of two weight workouts a week, but they weren't heavy weights. I decided to back off on my cardio (doing maybe only 30 minutes a day, which I was used to doing more!) and then going heavy on my weight workouts. The ones I decided to do were were the Pyramids and Gym Style Workouts (I did each series for two weeks each). After the first week, I broke through my plateau and started losing again. I kept using the heavy weights for four weeks and really saw great results (not only on the scale, but I was really "leaning" out more).

What I do know is, when I reach a plateau or I'm not seeing results,I just switch around what I am focusing more on at the time (cardio or weights). I still do them both, but I increase whichever one I'm not doing as strongly.

Just a suggestion -- it's worked for me on more than one occasion. However, each time I noticed that when I started eating super clean (as opposed to just watching my calories and trying to eat "good"), I noticed more of a great improvement when I ate super clean. So your diet is very important (which you already know!)

Keep a journal of everything you do (which I'm sure you do). I don't do it to count calories as much as I did before (since I've done that for so long, I can pretty much tell how much I'm eating each day). I mainly do it to see what I'm eating and what I'm doing exercise-wise to see what the pattern is when I start to hit a plateu.

Good luck -- I really hope you get the $500!! I wish a lot more work places would do something like that -- it makes losing weight, etc. more fun!

Let us know your progress from time to time.

Julie

RE: Help! In a weight loss challenge, best rotation/nu...

>Up your cardio, you need to do it everyday if you want to
>lose faster...cut out the carbs, have them in the AM and then
>at lunch, totaling around 140 calories worth. Eat a ton of
>protein...drink a gallon of water a day and watch it fall
>off.
>
>It worked for me!;) Its harsh though.

Like Tneah said^^^^^

This is the "magic" formula for me. Good Luck with your challenge!

:)
Kara

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.