Help!! i'm getting bulky!! :O

W

wendy

thanks for collage info!

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Aug-01-99 AT 05:25AM (EST)</font></center>

LAST EDITED ON Jul-31-99 AT 09:57 PM (CST)

dear jane and elifie...

thanks so much for the collage info...you're right!! debbie had some really good insights!!!
happy.gif

gee...i don't feel so bad..that i'm not "the only one"...that gets bulky...we can all be "bulky together"!
happy.gif
...and "unbulk together"...as well!!!
happy.gif

thanks for sharing, and the encouragement!!

take care!

wendy
[email protected]

On Getting "bulky"

I don't mean to be stupid, but what do you mean by "becoming bulky?" Do you mean that you are getting muscles and you don't like it?

If that is the case, what is wrong with having muscles? Look at Cathe!

Before I started weight training for my genetically big legs, I wore a size 10 pants. Now a wear a size 6, and I train with Cathe's PS Legs & Abs tape, using a 50 lb. barbell, which I will increase when I am able. I'll take bulk anytime, if I wear a smaller size. My weight hasn't changed, either.

Maybe you should take a look at your diet.

bulk

I just thought I would share my experience on this topic. I started lifting heavy when Cathe's Pure Strength tapes came out. I was getting great results in my upper body but my lower body seemed to be bulky and a tad bit larger. I finally did take a better look at my diet and since then I have lost 1 1/2 inches off each thigh. I am still training heavy and seeing great results. However, I may have a different body type than you but I was experiencing the same phenomenon of bulk.

carbs?

hi heather..

thank you for sharing your experience...it is really helpful!
happy.gif

i'm curious...when you mentioned your diet...did you cut back on carbs??...increase protein?...eat more often??..i'm just wondering...

i'm a vegetarian...and sometimes...those 'carbs'...kinda "sneak up on ya"... :p

i've been decreasing my heavy weight workouts...to just once a week...and trying alternative things like resistance training..and 'method-ish' stuff.....it seems to be working...

i think i tend to 'build muscle'....quickly...which is great...(if i could look like cathe!!
happy.gif
)...i guess, it's a matter of fine tuning the routine...and diet...'crosstrain my brains out'!!! hehe

thanks again!

wendy

veggie too!

Hi there Wendy! I am vegetarian and a Cathe fan too!! Also, I am in the same Carb boat with ya! They do sneak up huh? I have put on muscle with PS but am having a hard time getting that lean/cut look we are all after. Perhaps it is the carbs? I am trying to shake a nasty peanut butter habit right now and looking into my fruit intake. Some people on this forum claim fruit sugar is the problem. What I want to know is what does one eat then if you avoid carbs, fruits and fats? Curious about your point of view.
Rachel

carbs

Greetings from another veggie (vegan)! I think it's important to avoid simple carbohydrates (sugars, processed carbs like white flour) and to stick with whole grains and veggies as much as possible for carbohydrates. One way of figuring out if a packaged food with carbs in is primarily simple carbs is to look at the label. Under "carbodydrates" are listed "sugars"(simple carbs), fiber and "other" (complex carbs). Avoid foods with a high percentage of "sugar" carbs, and foods that have little fiber (this cuts out those "fat-free" cookies that a lot of dieters consume, thinking that they're going to help them). At a time when I had more self control,
wink.gif
, I combined philosophies of several healthful vegetarian diets I had read up on. I stuck very closely to a diet (as in "way of eating") that eliminated almost all processed carbs (pasta, bread and anything made from flour, sticking instead with a sprouted grain bread that contained whole sprouted grains, and cereals like oatmeal), focusing on whole grains (rice, buckwheat, just about any thing, as well as sprouted grains). I tried to keep my food intake about 1/2 raw food (in mass, not in calories--which would be a heck of a lot of raw food to eat!)by making sure to eat something raw at the beginning of each meal and for each snack, and having a huge salad (with lots of different veggies, especially dark greens) with lunch and dinner. For the first time in my life, my knees got slim! I didn't seem to lose any muscle tone, and felt very energetic.

i know whatchya mean!!! :p

rachel,

hello, fellow "veggie-cathe-lover" !! hehe
happy.gif
(i just love those little smiley faces!)

i know "exactly" what you mean about that whole...getting cut/carb struggle...sigh...

well, i'm not sure if what i do...is what i should be doing....:p...but i've asked this question to many people...without much success..

so...i've just decided to WATCH (not eliminate! couldn't do that! yikes!) my carb intake...(i usually go for the 'whole grain' stuff..)and do protein..(tofu...love it!..tvp (no fat!!
happy.gif
!)..i "do" eat alot of raw veggies (salad)..and fruit as a dessert... i don't eat sugar...(causes big time migraines..ouch!..but 'do' eat brown rice syrup, fruit juice sweetened etc..)

i've eliminated the whole 'protein shake' thingie and am not lifting as heavy as before....and only once a week...(doing more w/ resistance 'spri', and the method...)i felt like i was "building" more muscle than i really wanted...i'm only 5'3"..so i've gotta watch it....(unfortunately, i don't look like cathe! rats!
happy.gif
)

i figure...it's kinda like this..if i wanna still 'enjoy' food (i love to eat!!)....and live a healthy life...i've just gotta..sorta accept the fact that...EATING HEALTHY...AND WHOLE FOODS...DOES NOT 'NECESSARILY' MEAN EATING LOW FAT...OR LOW CARBS (that's for sure!)...so i just do the 'combining' for complete proteins...tofu, tvp...and take supplements as well...and "try" to watch the amount of food intake...(that's a toughie! :O)

i'm not as "cut" and lean as i'd 'like to be'...but..i figure..I'M EATING HEALTHY...AND EXERCISING...and look okay for a 35 year old with 2 kids.....so..i'm just doing my cathe tapes..crosstraining...eating..
happy.gif
...and "learning" to be happy with the way i look...(although, always striving to improve!)

otherwise...i'd drive myself...(and my hubby!! poor thing! )...bonkers!!.. :p

whew!.. now you didn't think you were gonna get that 'long 'ol response', huh?! (me neither! yikes!) sorry!

hope this might help!! i could always use any suggestions and advice,..and would love to hear what you're doing as well!!....pls feel free to email [email protected]...

thanks, rachel!! and good luck!!
happy.gif
(one last one for the road! hehe)

take care!
wendy

ps. gosh, i should have emailed this, huh? with the new forum..i don't wanna chance losing my "novel" hehe..sorry, it's so long!!!

in sync

It is so great to hear from others in the same circumstances. I thought I was the only veggie carb junkie Cathe head in the world. That of course was not meant to be derogatory! In addition to these "dilemas" which are indeed minutae compared to all the real problems in the world I am breastfeeding my third child. Shelia in the mommy forum says this stimulates appetite!
I will indeed e-mail you later.
Rachel
PS Maybe Cathe will get a nutritionist to moderate another forum. That would be so beneficial to all of us.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.