Help! I think I've created a monster!

kgalas

Cathlete
Hi all!

So after years of trying, I finally got my DH to work out. He started with P90X last year, lasted about 6 weeks, saw no huge gains, and quit. He's since giving it another go, starting again with the X and now, per my suggestion, with Cathe. I love it-he's been getting up before work at 5:30 and talks constantly of exercise:) Here's the problem: he's a total novice when it comes to rotations, what to eat, etc. When I try to explain different ways of training, he gets overwhemled and frustrated with me. I'm trying to be patient with him cause I know there are mountains of info out there, but it's tough.

Any ideas how to go about helping him? He's 6'4", about 195 lbs. and has a hard time putting on muscle-especially his legs. I need to put something down on paper for him to follow-talking isn't working;)

Thanks!

Doesn't p90x come with different rotations and eating suggestions? Can he follow one of those for building more muscle mass? I know some folks thought p90x was a bit light for leg work so they subbed Cathe for that. I think you're right to be wary of overwhelming the guy--men can get frustrated so easily, you know! ;) :D

Hi all!

Any ideas how to go about helping him? He's 6'4", about 195 lbs. and has a hard time putting on muscle-especially his legs. I need to put something down on paper for him to follow-talking isn't working;)

Thanks!

I've found this a lot with my clients. Their husbands often try to give them advice, but they "hear" it much better from a trainer. I would suggest that your husband hire a trainer who he might better respond to. Not that you're not educated, but sometimes it comes across better when from a professional.

Oh my gosh!! The similarities are starting to scare me! ;) My dh did the same thing. He started P90X w/ me last year, lasted about 6 weeks and just didn't want to work out anymore. For some reason, about March this year he just told me he was ready to work out again, but just 30-45 min 3x a week. So we've *tweaked* P90X, and gone really heavy w/ the weights for him. He's lost a good 10# but put on a LOT of muscle. He doesn't do the cardio DVD's, he is NOT coordinated at all but we walk in the evening and he walks a lot at work. He's having people come up to him at work a lot asking him what he does, where he works out, so obviously he's seeing some awesome changes! :D

So far he hasn't done any Cathe DVD's, but I do make him do some of her leg work. :D (barbell squats, lunges, calf raises)

Let me know if you need any suggestions!

Hell, I'd be excited that he's excited about working out. By trying to correct him you will only discourage him from continuing. Why not allow him the opportunity to discover what works for him? Pick him up a copy of a mens fitness magazine. Maybe he will read it and maybe he won't but allow him the opportunity to have his own "ah-ha!' moments.

I agree with Beavs. Maybe also purchase (or borrow from your library) New Rules of Lifting or another book geared to men's fitness and weight lifting.

Carrie

Go get him the "bible" of bodybuilding...the Arnold book, its huge, I believe its called the Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding or something like that. Its a real "man's" book, and will get him all excited about lifting...:) I agree with the others, leave it alone and help by leaving books or mags around he can peruse when he wants.

I have P90X

It does come with a diet. But I find the Nutrition on Cathe is better personally. I gained weight even on the lightest stage of the P90 diet - plus I often felt like I was out of gas. Got tired during the workouts because the carbs were too restrictive. I still the workouts but I work out twice a day now, once with Cathe and once with Tony. I'm sure once I find a job again I will have to adjust (was laid off a few weeks ago so I got nothing but time right now!!) :(

Go get him the "bible" of bodybuilding...the Arnold book, its huge, I believe its called the Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding or something like that. Its a real "man's" book, and will get him all excited about lifting...:) I agree with the others, leave it alone and help by leaving books or mags around he can peruse when he wants.

It's called The Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding by Arnold Schwarzenegger and I can tell you that it will probably overwhelm him. It's a great book and I've looked at the pictures with my 14 year old son and shared some Holy Cow moments, but don't think he would read it and it's a bit useless if you don't read all 700+ pages and aren't doing it to compete in the first place.

I'm a firm believer in goal planning to reach those steps. I've been using goals that I write down for my fitness and I review them weekly and journal what I did. I keep a workout log of what exercises I did, how many reps, and what weight. I've seen better success with that honestly.

Thanks everyone!

DH isn't much of a reader so the books would go unread, I'm afraid. He may read the magazines, so I'll try that. Part of his problem, I think, is that he's impatient. Wants results NOW. I keep encouraging him to keep at it-Rome wasn't built in a day, right? I told him to do what he likes, whether that be P90X, Cathe, whatever. And to try different splits-3 day, upper/lower, total body, etc. And that's when the confusion comes in. Which will give him the quickest results. I keep trying to tell him he needs to figure it out himself-what works for one person, yadda, yadda. Arrgh! He needs to get heavier weights, too. He's outgrown the 30# dumbells I use as my heaviest. And I found Muscleguy's rotation and have it saved for him. Hopefully that's a good start. And I know STS will be totally up his alley-can't wait!

Again, thanks for your suggestions:)

Maybe print out a rotation for him. I think Cathe has some good leg ones (as does FitnessFreak). Just print it out for him and let him find his way. I know my hubby (and most men??) like to be guided but not KNOW they are being guided!

Carrie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.